Where to find the 04 center console thing?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
What is weird on this is the pricing on the separate parts:

coin insert: $2.71
Console: $24.81 (cheap)
brake lever: $88.28 (! but to be expected)
cup holder: $67.52 !!
black cap: $34.54 !! ***?!

So if I reuse the arm rest I don't need the black cap. Right?

And if I mod the current emergency brake, then the cost is: $2.71 + $24.81 + $67.52 = $95.02 plus shipping. Is this right?

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
20IndigoBlue02 said:
The overpriced cap is for the hole if you don't have the armrest
NO! The "cap" is for the rear cupholder. Otherwise, it doesn't fit or look right.

The "rear tray" on my parts lists above is the optional part you don't need if you keep your armrest (or, the part you want to get if you ditch it or don't have one). It's not included in the Impex kit, if I'm reading the descriptions correctly.

Mike

Last edited:

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
Does anyone have a part# for just the black cloth armrest? I have an 03 with the nice console, but would like to add an armrest.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
schwechel said:
Does anyone have a part# for just the black cloth armrest? I have an 03 with the nice console, but would like to add an armrest.
You'll need two parts: the armrest itself and the support. I'm not sure if they've subdivided it beyond that, but I'm pretty sure it's considered to be at least two separate parts. Sorry...don't have the numbers.

Mike

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Where did you get rear sliding cup holders? I gotta get this one ... have two kids back there!

volmaniac said:
i did this last night. the rear sliding cupholder is "the shizzle" or something like that according the user (12 year old kid).

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
hutchman said:
Where did you get rear sliding cup holders? I gotta get this one ... have two kids back there!
i got mine from 1stvwparts.com.... but there is only one "real" rear cup holder. the cup holder part slides back away from the console and makes a little cubby; you can probably use the cubby for a second cup holder if you need to though.

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
volmaniac said:
i got mine from 1stvwparts.com.... but there is only one "real" rear cup holder. the cup holder part slides back away from the console and makes a little cubby; you can probably use the cubby for a second cup holder if you need to though.
Not very effectively, unless one rear passenger is holding it to prevent the 2nd drink from falling out. :D But yes, there is space to do so.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Is there a cup holder option for the center console without having to give up the arm rest? From the pictures I've seen so far it looks like the arm rest has to go.

Thanks,

Brian

Mike_M

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2002 Jetta GLS
volmaniac said:
the arm rest can stay or you can "cap it", your option. i reinstalled my armrest after i installed the console.
100% correct.

hutchman: Find my "all in one" post above in this thread, and you'll see that the "rear cap" is purely optional. Just don't order it, and put your armrest back on.

Mike

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
Great! I'd love nothing more than to get rid of the cup holders that block the double din system!

Mike_M said:
100% correct.

hutchman: Find my "all in one" post above in this thread, and you'll see that the "rear cap" is purely optional. Just don't order it, and put your armrest back on.

Mike

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Mike_M said:
NO! The "cap" is for the rear cupholder. Otherwise, it doesn't fit or look right.

The "rear tray" on my parts lists above is the optional part you don't need if you keep your armrest (or, the part you want to get if you ditch it or don't have one). It's not included in the Impex kit, if I'm reading the descriptions correctly.

Mike
I'll take back what I said.... without it, it is a loose fit & has that gear thing for the smooth adjustment of the position of the cupholder

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
Ordered the parts for this earlier this week. Planning on doing this, the aluminum e-brake button mod and a leather e-brake boot I got off the 'tex. I'll post some pix when I'm done.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will later today. I picked up the console and e-brake assembly on the vortex for $75 and will be installing it today. Psyched!

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, it turned out great. But I don't have my digital camera now. The installation was easy although taking out the rear torx screws was hard since I don't have torx drivers, I have torx sockets and the extention would not fit through the hole in the console to get to the screws; so I had to use a screwdriver pushed into the end of the torx socket. But it fit great, the emergency brake handle was no problem and the arm rest fit right back in. I'll post pictures later in the week when I have access to a digital camera.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Just finished mine a couple of nights ago. The install is super easy; I decided to install a new emergency brake handle (with the aluminum 'look' button) and a leather shift boot I got off the 'tex. Overall I really like it. At the same time I also installed an OEM shift knob and boot and some aluminum trim. With the sport cluster the interior is really coming along. I'll post some pics if I have the time this weekend.

Mike, did you ever confirm the PN for the faceplate to cover up the cupholder above the radio? I gave a suggestion but it didn't look like the right PN.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did not get that part number. Still looking at a hole in my dash. I need to find a 2004+ parts list.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
I stopped by my local VW dealership today to find out if the could track down the correct PN for this. I was told that no PN exists and that in order to plug that hole you need the upgraded radio cage, which accepts the snap-on trim pieces. Apparently, in '04 when the center console cup holders were introduced VW also installed different radio cages to allow a cover plate to be snapped into place where the over-the-radio cupholder was. This sounds plausible, as neither my ETKA nor the dealer's updated version shows anything like what we're looking for on any model.

Can anyone else confirm?

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yikes, that stinks. I already sold the in-dash cupholder. I guess maybe we could have someone send us their broken in dash units simple for the fact that they have a cover. other ideas?

Did you price the new radio cage? I would think it would fit. Maybe get that from a totalled car...

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
from tmtuning, the radio cages are about 65 dollars, IIRC. you can find chinese ones on fleabay for ~30, but who knows what the quality is like. you know, the little hinged door for the cupholder is a separate PN than the cupholder proper. i posted this PN in your other thread. you could order the little door and try to mod it to cover the hole. i'm going to pull mine and separate the door from the cupholder this weekend to see if its possible.

davisz

TDI
JETTA
available in Canada?

Where can I buy these parts in Canada? Do any of the stores ship to Canada with reasonable price?

Thanks

davisz

TDI
JETTA
just got the quotation back from a local dealer, more expensive but I guess I will have to live with that... Now if I leave the rear ashtray as is, then I don't need to buy the REAR CUP HOLDER and the CAP, right?

Thanks.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
buy from impex. cheaper cheaper cheaper. i spent about $110 (i think) total without the ebrake handle.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Just did this mod tonight. Took my time elongating the front hole in the ebrake bracket - ended up being a slot instead of a hole. Everything went w/o a hitch except I lost one of the screw covers and spent probably 1/2 hr looking for it. Total time for swap was around an hour.