List of changes and fixes to the "fixed" Q7 TDI

Spicolte

TDI
Audi Q7 3.0 S-Line TDI
Hello all. Newbie here. Lurking for a long time and finally joined. Hi everyone!

My first post concerns information I can’t seem to find in the forums. If it exists, can someone just point me there and accept my apology for this post?

My inquiry is related to my Gen 2 2013 Q7 S-line TDI. I researched, read, followed your posts, and waited gathering real world input as to what will happen to our beloved Q once it undergoes the “fix”.

My question is: Has anyone created a list of “known changes” (even anecdotally) to the Q7 following the fix?

From what I have read, I have seen the following repeated in numerous accounts:

1) Loss of low end and mid-range torque.
2) Turbo Lag
3) Transmission shift issues
4) Loss of power (probably related to #1)
5) Dead feeling or more play in the gas pedal
6) Increase in Diesel engine chatter at lower speeds
7) Greater gas mileage loss than expected
8) Adblue interval increase
9) Lurching from a stop (most reported just after pick up at dealership)
10) Will Q7 really relearn driving habits and return shifts to normal?

Have I missed anything?

With these as a given, what solutions exist? Have they been listed in detail somewhere?

- I see someone has a TCM fix that many members post their happiness after applying to their Q7’s.

- I also see discussion of Malone Tuning as a fix, but no details as to what they can fix. (I have emailed them, no reply as yet. Probably inundated with TDI owner inquiries). Can Malone correct the loss of torque, transmission shifting, turbo lag, deadness in gas pedal?

- If fixes are possible, what is the best time to implement them so as to let all the post-fix “hiccups” show up and be addressed by the dealership while the warranty is in place. 6 months? A year?

- Can these fixes be uploaded and unloaded as needed to allow full usage of the extended warranty?

I live in CA. So, I have zero option of ignoring the fix, less my car be denied registration. However, I do own property in Utah, and could keep my car in CA while slapping a Utah plate and registration on it. My county in Utah requires no emissions testing or inspections, so the car can stay in CA and never have to return to Utah for requirements for registration. This said however, will states begin to follow CA’s lead and eventually catch all of us who don’t fix their TDI’s and deny us registration? If so, then my only choice is the fix, and do it before I lose my chance at the payment accompanying the fix. And then try to tune it back to normal, if possible.

Lastly, Car and Driver ran an article where they tested a fixed TDI. https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...x-performance/

In the article they tell of a VW techs allowing them to swap back and forth between cheating software and the new fixed software. The article adds this: “they stressed that VW dealers and others authorized to upload the new software would use a system that will not allow a car to be reverted to any earlier code” I’m not a computer genius, so I don’t know if what they say doesn’t have a work around for a hacker. For example, could someone download and copy the cheating software and then re-load it to their TDI after the fix?

Thanks everyone. If a place on the forums doesn’t exist detailing all that will change, and all the options for post fix improvements, is there a place to do this?

Mike

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
List of changes and fixes to the "fixed" Q7 TDI

Good list, but how many accounts have you read that said “not much changed with the fix.” I have seen many more of those, and even that doesn’t adjust for the well known tendency of folks only to post when there is something to complain about. Check the online reviews of appliances and air conditioners if you don’t believe me.

You can also look here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-discussion-112/tdi-epa-fix-completed-2936403/

The Q5 TDI “fix results” thread I posted to for a year is no longer about results, but has now become the home to 5 holdouts saying, over and over and over again to one another, “not yet,” “not yet.” That’s their data: “I have no data, but I’m sure it’s bad.” Everyone else has had the fix done and moved on.

My best advice would be to go ahead, drive more and worry less. There is a long warranty ahead in the event that your car throws a code. There are ways to reset the throttle learning short of a TCM recode. Do some more reading. Count every time someone has reported “no big deal.” Then multiply that by a factor of 10? 20? More? If the fix was ruining cars, it would be a huge, huge deal online. There are probably 40,000 fixed vehicles driving around by now.

YMMV

Last edited:

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
The impacts of the “fix” are well known and your list is a good summary of what has been observed. The deadline for getting the “fix” on gen 2 cars is April of 2020 so you have time to decide.

Spicolte

TDI
Audi Q7 3.0 S-Line TDI
Only complainers.

Thanks Mythdoc.

I forgot to mention that in my post. It’s always the negative you hear because rarely do the folks without an issue post to say so.

And yes, I do have quite a bit of time before having to “fix” the Q7, so I can wait and read more.

Any suggestions on where to read more information?

Thanks.

Mike

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Thanks Mythdoc.

I forgot to mention that in my post. It’s always the negative you hear because rarely do the folks without an issue post to say so.

And yes, I do have quite a bit of time before having to “fix” the Q7, so I can wait and read more.

Any suggestions on where to read more information?

Thanks.

Mike

Have you looked over a copy of the extended warranty booklet? That plus the AudiWorld thread linked above should give you good information in addition to TDI club.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w...7/10/AUDI_BOOKLET_3L_Gen_2-1_FINAL_ONLINE.pdf