Rising oil level

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Hello!

I thought I'd ask for help since I'm clueless at this point.

My golf has had it's oil level rising over the course of a few weeks. It's now way above the rough patch on the dipstick, past the bend in the dipstick and seems to have relatively low viscosity. It just drips off the dipstick easily. I changed the oil after it my coolant flange broke and ejected my coolant sensor off the side of the block and subsequently overheated. I replaced all my coolant as well, the level isn't dropping, oil isn't murky it's straight black.

It's a 2005 Mk4 Golf BEW TDI

I don't have a sense of smell at all so the victim I asked to sniff my stick said it didn't smell of diesel. I don't know at this point.

What could it be? It has to be fuel in oil since water or coolant would make it murky right? I've had problems with my tandem pump leaking into the head before but I've got a new tandem pump and gasket all torqued down to spec now and haven't had an issue with it for awhile.

Maybe leaking injectors? There doesn't seem to be a solid way of diagnosing this. Would a shop be able to test for it if I pulled the injectors?

Only a little white smoke upon startup, dissapears immediately. Condensation for a little bit while it's cold. Doesn't smell like diesel.

My timing is good, I replaced the belt just 10k miles ago and set timing. I don't have time to send in an oil sample, this is my daily to school and everywhere so I need to drive it or I'm not making it to my classes. I was able to hitch a ride today. My other car is currently down for repairs as well getting an entirely new suspension system. I seem to have a habit of 200k+ mile cars.

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Rising oil level likely means fuel dilution.

You say you overheated it? Doesn't sound good at all. I hope you caught it before any warping occurred.

BTW, with the fuel being ULSD the smell isn't quite as aromatic as it used to be. And if you have 4 quarts of oil and maybe 1 quart of fuel in there now, it won't smell like fuel yet. Maybe a 50/50 mix will smell more.

It sounds like a seal somewhere gave way, and fuel is slowly accumulating in the oil.

Good luck, others more knowledgeable will chime in.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I don't have a sense of smell at all so the victim I asked to sniff my stick said it didn't smell of diesel.
I like that quote.... :D

Anyway, it sounds to me like your engine overheated and damaged the head gasket. Are you losing any coolant?

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
I like that quote.... :D

Anyway, it sounds to me like your engine overheated and damaged the head gasket. Are you losing any coolant?
Not losing any coolant since I topped it off about 3 weeks ago. I only drove about 10 minutes without any coolant, should maybe probably be alright.

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Rising oil level likely means fuel dilution.

You say you overheated it? Doesn't sound good at all. I hope you caught it before any warping occurred.

BTW, with the fuel being ULSD the smell isn't quite as aromatic as it used to be. And if you have 4 quarts of oil and maybe 1 quart of fuel in there now, it won't smell like fuel yet. Maybe a 50/50 mix will smell more.

It sounds like a seal somewhere gave way, and fuel is slowly accumulating in the oil.

Good luck, others more knowledgeable will chime in.
I think I caught it before it did. I think. Fatal last words.

I'll pull my tandem pump again and check to see if the gasket was compromised. Easiest check I can do at the moment.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
send a cup of oil to blackstone for an oil analysis.
THIS 100%

Im also 100% sure that by your description, your oil level is rising from fuel dumping. Not sure where its coming from but i suspect the injection here is damaged and is slowly dribbling fuel past the rings.
Do a compression test and a leak down test and you should for kicks, leak down pressure test the coolant. Pull the injectors and pop test them with a ebay pump. Like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P352OcVfsug

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The only other thing that comes to mind would be a leaking EGR cooler or maybe oil cooler.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
So it overheated, not good, but maybe not the end of the world. It could be the injectors leaking but before I pulled those and replaced them, I would swap out the tandem pump or at the very least put a new gasket on it.

And stop driving the car oil dilution is not going to end well.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Only 2 ways for oil level to rise, coolant or fuel, both are bad. Coolant will leave a milky film on the fill cap if you don't see that then its fuel. Fuel or coolant in the oil will kill your engine, the turbo will probably be the 1st victim.

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
So it overheated, not good, but maybe not the end of the world. It could be the injectors leaking but before I pulled those and replaced them, I would swap out the tandem pump or at the very least put a new gasket on it.

And stop driving the car oil dilution is not going to end well.
Don't worry I'm not driving it. I have an oil sample ready to send out. I stopped driving immediately when the level started rising. I check my oil pretty regularly.

I'll pick up a new gasket when the dealership opens up. They're cheap but the tandem pump I have in there is only I think 10k miles old so I'm not planning on replacing that.

It overheated but I was not driving for very long with it. Hopefully not long enough to cause any lasting damage.

I bought the car at 190k miles and it's been a lemon all the way to 208k where it's at now. I swear the stupid thing just comes up with problems. The last time I got diesel in my fuel the tandem pump literally blew up it's gasket because the shop accidentally put the gasser tank pump in and flooded my sump with so much diesel it blew the dipstick tube off on the highway.

Here's some pictures on how it managed to leak all my coolant all over the road and overheated. Bet you won't believe it happened. I put a picture of a good coolant sensor for reference.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Whatever shop you've had working on your car needs to be avoided.
Keep in mind, diesel sedans (of any make) are super rare in the US. Only a few guys in each state even know what they're doing with them. Unless they specialize in TDI, do not let them even open your hood! I even have trouble trusting a local "Trusted Mechanic" based on some of the dopey crap he's told me.
Not sure you're near Portland, but there are a couple guys up here who are good. But I even cringe every time I have to leave my car with a Trusted Mech.

Another thing, in your 1st pic, that flange is broken. It's not going to hold another CTS in there. you need a new one (the silver part with the WK on it).

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Whatever shop you've had working on your car needs to be avoided.
Keep in mind, diesel sedans (of any make) are super rare in the US. Only a few guys in each state even know what they're doing with them. Unless they specialize in TDI, do not let them even open your hood! I even have trouble trusting a local "Trusted Mechanic" based on some of the dopey crap he's told me.
Not sure you're near Portland, but there are a couple guys up here who are good. But I even cringe every time I have to leave my car with a Trusted Mech.

Another thing, in your 1st pic, that flange is broken. It's not going to hold another CTS in there. you need a new one (the silver part with the WK on it).
I do all the work myself now after that experience with the shop, or send it to Oldpoopy. I've already got a new flange in there.

Even rarer it's a hatchback with the GLS package and I'm rather fond of it when the engine isn't being a pain in the butt. I've got a oil sample ready to send out today.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You said you swapped out the tandem pump? Where did you get it and what brand?