99.5 ALH - Screeching noise proportional to turbo speed.

Criticality

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI Manual
I was about to leave to watch the Eagles game.

I have this screeching noise proportional to turbo speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKfvdoOwzOU

Recent history:

Deleted EGR cooler, and blanked off EGR.

I couldn't get the nuts to move on the manifold studs so blanked it off the flex pipe. ( I know .... stupid)

That lasted 100 miles until the flex pipe broke, limp mode on my way back from work with that terrible exhaust hole (23 miles).

Borrowed my brothers car to get a Bolt-Grip set and got the blank off plate on the manifold. Drove the car successfully to work and back Thursday night with no issues or noises (I don't have a radio). Only drove it Friday to pick up beer and some groceries a couple miles.

Today started it up to go to a friends to watch the Eagles game and got that noise. It was low on oil and had a hissing sound from the exhaust manifold, looks like the studs are stripped and the blank off plate isn't exactly seated.

I have no smoking whatsoever but it does look like their is more oil coming out the exhaust.

Todo:

Look for a boost leak.

Pull off the turbo inlet a check for play, wear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Probably the blank off plate causing the noise, however oil out the exhaust doesn’t sound to good. Tighten the plates down, so there are no leaks.

Check the turbo if it’s causing the screech then the vanes are rubbing on the housing. A cell phone camera is a good way to verify that.

Criticality

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI Manual
Update

The shaft gave alot of play when I removed the turbo inlet.

Update:

Installed new Mahle VNT-15 and downpipe with catalyst from idparts.com.

Also new oil feed and return line, all gaskets, cleaned intake manifold and EGR (cooler deleted, ASV maintained), had to buy a bunch of new mounting hardware as some things wouldn't come off the old turbo (also its a 99.5 so I needed updated bracket and oil return line). Changed oil, filter.

Took a drive today and noticed the feed line needs to be snugged up at the oil cooler.

Couple questions.

This new turbo seems really quiet. I am guessing this is normal as it is new and getting much better oil flow. Anybody else have this experience?

I could not get the new turbo bracket on as I torqued the exhaust manifold bolts first. I need to loosen these, removed spacers and oil lines, clean the 20 year unused bolt hold in the block and reinstall. Should I drive it? I need to get to work this week but I also don't feel like breaking studs off into the cylinder head.

My dad mentioned something about "setting the timing" on the turbo but I don't think he understands VGTs.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Yes, the new turbo can be very quiet. I rarely hear my old VNT-15.

A bottoming tap may help cleaning out those old threads.

You're probably ok driving the car until you get around to it.
I haven't seen that vintage but the bracket is there to prevent excess vibration, etc.

Criticality

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI Manual
Thanks, I'm gonna get that bracket on Thursday/Friday. I only have to drive 3x 50 miles round trip for work. Also, drained IC and wired open ASV while waiting for a replacement plunger from Amazon.