Battling dealership with p0401 after fix

Stalix

TDI
2004 Touareg V10 TDI
I have a 2011 jetta wagon with a little over 130k miles. It is a salvage title and was declined for the buyback. So i went ahead with the fix as it was required for smog. Once i got he recall fix done. Drove away and 50 miles later get a check engine light. P0401 and p2002. Bring it back and they say it happens sometimes... i get a call from he next day saying my boost pipes are cracked due to the salvage title and would need to be replaced out of pocket. I agree reluctantly with the advisor telling me he thinks its going to fix the codes. I authorize them to replace the boost pipes and ask them to put at least 50 miles on it. They agree and call me later saying the code for EGR p0401 came back. It is a cracked dpf and will be covered under the warranty. They replace it and this time say they cant drive the car due to not have enough people working to drive that distance. I come and pay for the pipes and drive off. 50 miles down the road p0401 again.

I bring it back again. Get a call 2 days later saying i have a cracked intercooler. What??? I said why did the light start coming up only after the fix? He says some crap that didn't make sense and i said i want a guarantee if it wont fix the code then i would not pay. They didnt like that at all and said no guarantees will be given.

I tried contacting the tdi hotline from VW and they sided with the dealership. I have contacted the BAR and am awaiting their investigation.

This is BS because nowhere in the repair manual does it say anything about a p0401 code being caused by a boost leak.

Now i contacted the manager and he said that it is their policy to not work on salvage vehicles and want me pick it up from their lot. The only reason they did in the first place is because the recall obligated them to.

I asked if he is denying my extended emission warranty i got since the fix was installed and am awaiting his reply.

So i have a warranty for all my emission components but if i bring in my car for a clearly emission failure like EGR they deny along the lines of it being salvage?

Does anyone know if the warranty extension covers salvage title?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It probably does but because of the salvage classification you are going to have to fight to get it covered, more than likely. Not only this time but anytime you need something done I would imagine.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
It probably does but because of the salvage classification you are going to have to fight to get it covered, more than likely. Not only this time but anytime you need something done I would imagine.
WHOA there cowboy!...Your saying that ALL salvage vehicles with the fix done are in a "class" of cars that are subject to refusal for emissions warranty?? Where does it say that in the agreement..My car is a salvage vehicle (salvaged issued in 2012..side damage),,fix done with no issues back in Oct. of last year with the 5900. payment,,me and others in same "class" should find this outcome very interesting!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
He said the warranty should cover salvage vehicles but speculating it's going to be an uphill battle for dealers to honor it.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Salvage vehicles often have warranties voided or challenged. This is not a new thing.

Stalix

TDI
2004 Touareg V10 TDI
I have had a back and forth with the manager of the dealership and he states that it is our policy to not work on salvage vehicles. so I am a bit confused, they were ok with charging me $1,063 for the boost pipes that didn't fix anything and are now refusing to do the inter-cooler (even though i doubt it is damaged).

I was driving the car for months without issue and had no check engine lights. I have contacted the BAR and will be considering getting a lawyer (any suggestions?). this does not seem right.

I thought this warranty extension was a good thing but with dealerships refusal to work on salvage titles what good is it???

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I have had a back and forth with the manager of the dealership and he states that it is our policy to not work on salvage vehicles. so I am a bit confused, they were ok with charging me $1,063 for the boost pipes that didn't fix anything and are now refusing to do the inter-cooler (even though i doubt it is damaged).

I was driving the car for months without issue and had no check engine lights. I have contacted the BAR and will be considering getting a lawyer (any suggestions?). this does not seem right.

I thought this warranty extension was a good thing but with dealerships refusal to work on salvage titles what good is it???
Are you in Sac area? Which dealership are you working with?

Stalix

TDI
2004 Touareg V10 TDI
Yeah, its roseville volkswagen.

I even sent them this pdf which states my exact check engine light and i believe the issue is probably a clogged egr filter. but since they replaced it before the dpf, the new egr filter is clogged. it even says in the pdf if the dpf is replaced you MUST replacde the egr filter along with it. this dealership did not!

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/110765/V011523

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2

I even sent them this pdf which states my exact check engine light and i believe the issue is probably a clogged egr filter. but since they replaced it before the dpf, the new egr filter is clogged. it even says in the pdf if the dpf is replaced you MUST replacde the egr filter along with it. this dealership did not!

Don’t waste your time with them. That is actually true they are not allowed to work on salvage title unless it is recall than they are required, niello has the same policy. You’ll have better luck with Lashers VW, they don’t have a policy against working on salvage title.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
No offense, I would have been running when they said "boost pipes" and P0401 in the same sentence. You closed the barn doors after the horse left on that one.

Buyers beware.

Also if the dealer did replace the DPF as they said they did, then all you'll have to do is replace/clean the EGR filter, as that's what the actual code is for, insufficient EGR flow is just the symptom of the failed DPF

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI

FYI a new EGR filter won't clog in and toss a CEL in under 50 miles.

Stalix

TDI
2004 Touareg V10 TDI
I know its most likely a clogged egr filter. I want them to replace it. I knew the boost pipes wouldn't fix anything, i was more trying to see if they were honest. This was my first and most likely last time ever at a dealership for any type of service. i will be charging back my credit card for the boost pipes after my car leaves the dealership.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I know its most likely a clogged egr filter. I want them to replace it. I knew the boost pipes wouldn't fix anything, i was more trying to see if they were honest. This was my first and most likely last time ever at a dealership for any type of service. i will be charging back my credit card for the boost pipes after my car leaves the dealership.
If you're going to dispute the service then you should start the process while it's still under their care. I understand the desire to get the car back in one piece without starting issues, but once you leave the dealership's response is going to be that the charge is valid since service was rendered (and you leaving with the fix in place accepts that transaction).

Stalix

TDI
2004 Touareg V10 TDI
I already left once with paying, so i don't see a difference at this time. I do see your point though. I just don't want to see them ever, after i do the charge back.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have been arguing with them so far about refunding you or otherwise making the situation right, then you're probably right to just leave after telling them to fix it or you'll dispute it with your credit processor. If you haven't said anything to them about formally disputing the work and charges, and just blindside them with a reversal, the credit card company is going to have a difficult time defending your claim.

In general, they're going to want to see evidence of the parties trying to reconcile their differences first and almost always going to give the service agents an opportunity to make it right (even VW Corp will prefer to let the original dealership make amends first, which is the right way to handle it setting aside the frustration you're going through, right?). The people who made the mistake need to fix it instead of making it someone else's problem, which should be used as a last resort.

I'm not casting any judgement on how you handle this, btw, just making suggestions that I think might strengthen your claim.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good luck with the fight with your CC company.

Dealer charged you for parts they installed on your car. What was fraudulent with that? The dealer has weasel words stating they can't guarantee certain parts will solve all issues, they will still point to the car being a salvage and it's your problem.

If they didn't install charge pipes sure, but some how i think the CC will side with the dealer.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
????
You knew what the problem most likely was, but decided to let them change unnecessary parts??
Instead of taking your car to a competant dealer.
You let them do the unnecessay repair. And then want refund, after taking the car home, because it didnt fix the problem?
Sounds like you were asking for problems....����

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
It is a salvage title and was declined for the buyback. So i went ahead with the fix as it was required for smog.
Not that it matters at this point, but as far as I have seen, you were not required to get the settlement fix in CA.

California Certification for Benificiary Status Under Environmental Mitigation Trust Agreement (Page 7/10)
The Beneficiary certifies [...] that upon becoming a Beneficiary, the Beneficiary: (a) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle based solely on: i. The presence of a defeat device [...] ii. Emissions resulting from such a defeat device [...]
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/California.pdf
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info/vw_faq.htm

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
This is correct. You couldn’t do mail in registration. You need to go in to an office to register.
Either DMV or AAA office to renew Your registration. You still needed to pass smog readiness. Meaning only one readiness not set. In order to pass smog.

Last edited:

Stalix

TDI
2004 Touareg V10 TDI
I need to have smog and was required to get the fix done before i could do the renewal. To all the haters here. I have multiple emails asking why they were fine with replacing the boost pipes o my "salvage title" but when it comes to replacing replacing the intercooler their policy changes to "we dont work on salvage titles". That is rhe confusing part.

1. I was forced to do the recall to renew registration.
2. I came to a dealership with no check engine lights.
3. Left and now have a check engine light.
4. Boost pipes were said to be the only way to get warranty coverage.
5. They then changed the DPF

Now they refuse to work on salvage? That is not allowed half-way down the road i want they liable for what they did to my car. I realise from my research that EGR filter is the cause of my light only at this point. They should replace it for free. If i knew their policy of not working on salvage i would never have come here and would of gone to the one in elk grove, ca.

I have since been contacted by the vw hotline thdy they are looking into my case again after i showed them of the egr filter tsb.

This dealership is trash, that is all. Treating someone like this is unacceptable. Salvage or not. I drove the car in and they agreed to work on it. Now they refuse to touch it because they are too dumb to read a tsb that i did all the research in finding and presenting to them.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I posted earlier about this... 2011 jetta..60,000 miles.. I had a dpf and cooler/filter replaced due to the codes popping up..got all replaced/repaired and I HAVE A SALVAGE TITLE...so dealers will honor the warranty...I don't understand how a dealer can refuse repairs under the 'emissions warranty"..especially if there is no provision ( that I'm aware of) in the "contract" about refusing warranty work after the fix with salvage vehicle..

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
I posted earlier about this... 2011 jetta..60,000 miles.. I had a dpf and cooler/filter replaced due to the codes popping up..got all replaced/repaired and I HAVE A SALVAGE TITLE...so dealers will honor the warranty...I don't understand how a dealer can refuse repairs under the 'emissions warranty"..especially if there is no provision ( that I'm aware of) in the "contract" about refusing warranty work after the fix with salvage vehicle..
It sounds like this particular dealership has a policy in place not to work on salvage vehicles, which is a separate issue from the emissions warranty but doesn't explain why they started working on it in the first place. :eek:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
It sounds like this particular dealership has a policy in place not to work on salvage vehicles, which is a separate issue from the emissions warranty but doesn't explain why they started working on it in the first place. :eek:
I may understand they may not work on salvage cars..but once they installed the "fix" they should honor the emissions warranty..everyone ( including VW) knows/knew the "fix" can cause issues afterwords..sounds like a suite should be filed against this "dealer"...they implemented the fix on this salvage vehicle..they should be responsible for all that is related to the aftermath of the fix and it's agreed/stated warranty that is attached to this car now

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
But forcing them to do it is a whole other matter. Might be easier/faster to just go somewhere else. Using the law to force an issue is time consuming and expensive.