Silicone Intake Hose?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I think Zena Racing is an importer of Chinese made parts although I wouldn't be surprised if Samco China wasn't their silicone hose maker.

Anywhoo... I was sent this link to Zena's new "VW Golf IV 1.8T" intake hose:
http://www.zenaracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=10000667

I would like to do a similar hose for our TDI's later this year but with some added features like an oil resistant florosilicone liner and a "debris and oil capture well" below the turbo intake. My silicone hoses are made in North America by an American based corporation. I make the molds, they make the hoses on my molds for me. I doubt I could get that hose done with the added features for a dime less than $150 and it might go higher. The florosilicone liner almost doubles the price! But without it, the CCV oil will melt the hose in short order. I would probably only offer them in black.

Normally I would prefer the PD130 or PD150 pipe option to maintain a true OEM look under my hood, but silicone offers decent insulative qualities and can be shaped easier than metal on a mass-production scale that would easily exceed the cross-sectional area of all the intake pipe options currently available. And I can spec the silicone to 500* F grade if needed.

I'm curious about any opinions or comments anyone might have about the idea.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
DPM said:
No, they block US email addresses and do no business here that I am aware of.

Sucks too, I have heard they are the people to talk to about decently priced production runs of custom sized IC cores and tanks... like say for a DMIC setup. ;)

But I doubt they make their own silicone hoses either.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
And did I mention what dealing with Samco will get you? :D

According to several complaints I have read online, you invest in the molds and send them to Samco or pay big $$$ for them to make the tooling for you. They make your hoses and say they charge you $25 per hose. No problem you think and you list them for say $32.50 on your website. You sell a few but wonder why your sales drop off rather than pick up. Then you discover that the hose YOU paid for the tooling to have made by Samco is advertised on eBay for $18.95 Buy It Now price. :mad: Yes, they will undersell their own customers with the tooling those customers paid for! :D :D :D

Now that is like standard operating policy in China, but you normally wouldn't expect it from a UK based company.

The biggest problem I have is that you can pay extra for an oil resistant florosilicone liner at nearly double the cost of making the hose without it, and unless you know who you are dealing with, you probably won't receive it.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
LNXGUY said:
I have a 2.5 > 2" 90degree reducer from Zena I am using on your PD150 racepipe, no complaints yet.
Do you still use the OEM puck CCV?

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
I have installed an FMIC kit from this brand.. Hand welded bar&plate design, nice polishied 3" piping, Inox clamps, silicone hoses, all hardware for £175, it was a perfect fit!

Was for an rx7 FD3S
Ask them why they won't sell in the USA or even answer my emails? :(