Poor MPG

pavski3

TDI
Jetta, 1997, Black
I have a 1997 TDI jetta with around 98,000 miles. I do mixed highway and city driving, about 75 mph on the highway, however i am only getting about 300 miles per 10 gal of fuel. What is the best way to get better MPG? Should something be serviced or sould i just revise the way i drive?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I have a 1997 TDI jetta with around 98,000 miles. I do mixed highway and city driving, about 75 mph on the highway, however i am only getting about 300 miles per 10 gal of fuel. What is the best way to get better MPG? Should something be serviced or sould i just revise the way i drive?
Now that you have found the correct forum it is possible to delete the exact same thread in the other forum.

Then use the search feature here. For some silly reason lots of people here have talked about how to improve their fuel mileage.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
30mpg, with an automatic? Sounds low, but also doesn't sound like you are measuring your mpg all that well. I mean, you're saying you get around 300 miles on 10 gallons, not that you've been getting mid 30's or so, so I question your method of determining low mpg (not your intelligence, just your method).

Automatics get lower mpg, so that's good for like 5mpg or more. Driving at 75 is good for another 5ish. Lots of accelerating in city driving, stop and go, could be good for another 5mpg. Ergo, from 50 down 35.

At this age, though, you could have a clogged air filter, or a clogged snowscreen. Or maybe the fuel filter needs to be changed, but I think that would cause loss of power, not loss of economy.

Has the mpg's dropped recently, or has this been on going?

Can you do a few tanks of completely filling, and then calcuate the mpg's? It'd be best if you vented and used that, but if you do a few tanks at least one should be able to see what you are averaging, and then determine if it's really all that low for your driving habits.