No "chooo" sound from turbo, ALH engine

TDIsweden

TDI
Vw golf mk4
This is going to be a long text and im from Sweden so probably some bad english as well... be patient with me here.
I need some help with my golf TDI ALH engine, manual transmission. I dont get the "choo" sound when I change gear/let go of the gas pedal..
When I bought it there were an error code that said overboost and the car went into limpmode when you floored it.
Changed the VNT actuator because it was leaking and adjusted the rod to 18inhg.
The car was still overboosting and the boost was going up to 2bar+ and then down to around 1.5bar.
Today I changed the turbo to a refurbished one from ebay, german company, no china! Everything went fine, now I have a normal working turbo with good boost. Peaks 18psi and then it goes down to around 14-15psi.
BUT, still no sound!?
I do have one fault code left on the fuel temp sensor. But I dont think a faulty fuel temp sensor can mess with the turbo noise... I belive the code is there because of the evrymod? I have a new sensor but waiting for the special socket tool I need to open the injection pump.
Other things that I have done to the car:
• changed all vacuum hoses, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, intercooler and n75.
• Evry mod, no difference between on/off.
• 2.25" straight pipe from turbo with 3" side dump, no cat. It is an aftermarket dp but no sound with original dp either.
• Egr delete
• Checked the vacuum pressure, around 25inhg on idle.
• Leak tested all the hoses/pipes and intercooler with smoke machine. No leaks.
Can someone please try to help me figure out why the turbo doesnt make the lovley chooo sound!
Link to a video that shows what sound im after!
https://youtu.be/VfQL8pcT_uU

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Did the original turbo make the noises you desire?
If so, then the sequence of events I'd key in on is
1)turbo install
2)loss of "choo".

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
That's not the sound of a turbocharger. That's the sound of a blow-off-valve.
A kid's toy. Rarely I can hear my turbo make a tiny whistle... it's new and healthy.
Anyway, you sound like you know what you're doing, and from your description,
seems like a very cool car!
Welcome to TDI club!

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
To expound on the previous reply, you don't get that in a Diesel since there's not throttle plate that closes causing a pressure surge that the blow off valve releases.

At least not on the ALH.

TDIsweden

TDI
Vw golf mk4
Did the original turbo make the noises you desire?
If so, then the sequence of events I'd key in on is
1)turbo install
2)loss of "choo".
The old turbo didnt make the sound either, changed the turbo because the vnt vanes were jammed.
So with a new turbo I though everything was gonna be okay..
That's not the sound of a turbocharger. That's the sound of a blow-off-valve.
A kid's toy. Rarely I can hear my turbo make a tiny whistle... it's new and healthy.
Anyway, you sound like you know what you're doing, and from your description,
seems like a very cool car!
Welcome to TDI club!
Yes it is, the sound is because of the vnt vanes moving. You dont have any BOV on a diesel!
My friend has the exact same car, ALH engine, egr delete, evrymod and straght pipe. That car makes the sound!
Only difference is that he just cut off the muffler and replaced it with a pipe. I have an aftermarket exhaust from turbo! Original 55mm pipes.
Thank you :) kind of new to the tdi engines! Earlier I only owned Volvo cars! But the 1.9tdi is the best engine so far!
It is a daily but I need it to be in good condition because I drive 120km every day!
To expound on the previous reply, you don't get that in a Diesel since there's not throttle plate that closes causing a pressure surge that the blow off valve releases.
At least not on the ALH.
No that is correct, but the sound doesnt come from a BOV :) It comes from the vnt vanes!

Sauaciden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 8L 1.9TDI
Are you sure that your friend has same turbo on his car? My friend had loud owl noise before cleaning VNT. It is still here but not as loud and only happens if he shifts before like 2200rpm

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
no sound is normal, period.

From outside the vehicle it's fairly obvious to the ears when my factroy VNT15 is spooling up. Additionally, it lets out a high pitched "Chwooosh" if I'm giving it some pedal up a hill and then have to decelerate to turn or stop for traffic.

I just assumed it was normal as it's been making those sounds for 107k miles without issue now.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
You say "the majority of the cars have the sound", but we North Americans never hear it from our cars. Perhaps there's a difference between NA and European cars that accounts for it?

The closest thing I have experienced is in my 1997 Ford F-350 Powerstroke diesel pickup truck, which has a fairly large turbo with no vanes or wastegate. If I'm accelerating hard and then take my foot off the pedal, I can hear a "whoosh" sound while the turbo overboosts until its speed drops off. But it's a different sound that the one in the video.

You might contact Darkside Developments in the UK and see if they know.

Last edited:

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
I used to run "choo-choo's" for a living. All I ever heard was the turbochargers screaming on top of those V-16's and 20's. Have fun during recess, dude.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Even at the hardest throttle I don't hear my turbo (2 TDIs) unless I'm driving along side a barrier wall. The important thing is if it's turboing.

TDIsweden

TDI
Vw golf mk4
If you have compound TC's does it go choo-choo?
Im sorry, dont understand what TC stands for :eek: , were not the best english student ;)
You say "the majority of the cars have the sound", but we North Americans never hear it from our cars. Perhaps there's a difference between NA and European cars that accounts for it?
The closest thing I have experienced is in my 1997 Ford F-350 Powerstroke diesel pickup truck, which has a fairly large turbo with no vanes or wastegate. If I'm accelerating hard and then take my foot off the pedal, I can hear a "whoosh" sound while the turbo overboosts until its speed drops off. But it's a different sound that the one in the video.
You might contact Darkside Developments in the UK and see if they know.
Maybe, but other youtubers from the us have straight piped their cars and they make the sound :confused: , like this guy: https://youtu.be/Ga2i9yqF0a4 (jump to 4:50 to hear it)
I really thought every alh/ahf tdi made the sound, but now it looks like I was dead wrong :rolleyes:
I used to run "choo-choo's" for a living. All I ever heard was the turbochargers screaming on top of those V-16's and 20's. Have fun during recess, dude.
Thanks, im gonna keep trying until I get that sound :D one of the reasons I bought a 1.9.
Even at the hardest throttle I don't hear my turbo (2 TDIs) unless I'm driving along side a barrier wall. The important thing is if it's turboing.
And you have straight pipe on both of them? And ALH engine? Because my turbo whistle like hell on idle and have a great spool sound, just the sound when you let go of the gas pedal im missing!
I do have a side dump on the driver side so maybe thats why I hear the turbo better!

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Im sorry, dont understand what TC stands for :eek: , were not the best english student ;)
I think he means TC=turbochargers. I think compound TC's = one large turbocharger feeding another smaller one. This is a method used sometimes to get up to 4 bar boost.

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
I think he means TC=turbochargers. I think compound TC's = one large turbocharger feeding another smaller one. This is a method used sometimes to get up to 4 bar boost.
Also, for clarity to the Swede, "choo-choo" is a colloquialism for a train, hence Prarieview's flex about V20 turbocharged engines.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wait a minute. Choo choos only had two or four cylinders, though there were some threes. Oh, there was the Shay...

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Wait a minute. Choo choos only had two or four cylinders, though there were some threes. Oh, there was the Shay...
Now it's me who doesn't understand the subtext, but I do know that I'd love to tear around in your wagoneer:D.

It reminded me that I have a twin stick D300 sitting around as the seed for some inane future project.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I was meaning choo-choo refers to ole steam locomotives rather than Diesels which really don't make that noise.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Mine does have a "spheewww" sound from the vnt. When i accelerate harder, and clutch it. Always has....
and the spooling sound.
My 2nd tdi doesn't hardly make turbo sounds (even if i try). Both have vnt15's and accelerate about the same. Ones just a lil louder.
Idk why, but they are both good cars.

So yes they totally make that sound[emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The sound diff your hearing is from the exhaust. Sound of exhaust flow spinning the exduxer wheel.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
did you ever figure this out? i have the same problem and thought it was my veins being stuck
What's your exhaust set up? You won't get Choo Choo sounds if you have mufflers and catalytic converters. I had a tdi with only the stock muffler on the back and the cats removed and I could only hear the turbo whistle very slightly. Current car has full straight pipe and I get the choo choo sound.

Ez2typethis

TDI
2003 Jetta ALH
I don't have that sound but if could be my turbo

Swapped turbo to the S7 Borg Warner one on KermaTDI. Straight pipped it and do not pressure relief choo sound.

My theory is that the vanes open quicker or have a different shape that do not make that noise on deceleration.