Large Cooling Fan Replacement

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Anyone here know the procedure for replacing the large cooling fan?
TY!

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Ive done it, you pull the belly pan, disconnect the large electrical connection on the lower driver side, take out the 4 large torx screws holding the entire shroud to the core support and lower out the bottom, then just swap the fan. I did have to slightly modify the small fan plug by trimming of part of the plug housing (was outside the sealed portion and didn't affect the locking so whatever.., was slightly different, but it works fine, that was a couple years ago now, all in all an easy task. Pro tip, slip a piece of cardboard between the radiator and fan shroud on removal and replacement so as to avoid bending any fins or worse damage.

I might have disconnected the passenger side inter cooler hose but I don't recall, it was a rather unmemorable experience, and I have not heard from it since.

Last edited:

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Perfect thank you! I got the fan changed in 1/2 hour this morning. Not bad at all just tight spaces to work in.

Code P1950 returns every scan.

Is clearing the code via VCDS once the fan has been replaced necessary or will the code clear upon the next start up?

Last edited:

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Update I recently replaced the large cooling fan with one from aid parts and cleared the code via VCDS and the code keeps returning...

Any thoughts?

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I recently replaced the large cooling fan and cleared the code via VCDS and verified both fans turn when the ac is on however VCDS keeps pulling the code for a bad fan...

Code P1950 returns every scan...

Any thoughts?