Who is taking the SS Badger to TDIFest?

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
As of now, we plan to book for Tuesday evening. Otherwise, it would be Wednesday morning. Still waiting until we get a bit closer to finalize.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's a tough call. On the evening trip, you should be able to see some amazing night skies, but on the day trip, you get some great views.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
You get the coming and going views, plus they lay on the horns when you come into port during the day. Everyone loves ship horns, right? ;)

I've heard the night time trip can be absolutely stunning if there are clear skies. Like is said, it's a tough choice.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I just booked my trip for Wednesday morning at 8:30 AM. Looking forward to it! Now to figure out how to work my schedule so that I'm arriving at the ferry terminal in Ludington at 7:30 AM ... looks like a night time drive is in my future! :eek:

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
We are all booked as well... but for Tues PM trip.. Hopefully we will have planned the trip to make it in time.. otherwise - I guess you will see us on your crossing..

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We are all booked as well... but for Tues PM trip.. Hopefully we will have planned the trip to make it in time.. otherwise - I guess you will see us on your crossing..
I thought about doing Tuesday PM to get some good night sky viewing, but opted for the day crossing on Wednesday since I plan to spend a night in the UP after Fest. That should provide some awesome stargazing. :cool:

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I thought about doing Tuesday PM to get some good night sky viewing, but opted for the day crossing on Wednesday since I plan to spend a night in the UP after Fest. That should provide some awesome stargazing. :cool:
We are considering driving home the long way via Canada. :eek:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
We are considering driving home the long way via Canada. :eek:

If you mean around the north, then east side of Lake Huron, there will be a couple of us driving that way on the way there, so you can get some road reports.

I think a trip around Lake Superior will wait for next year.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
For those of you who won't take the Badger, Interstate 43 North of Sheboygan near Manitowoc is having resurfacing done this week, which I anticipate to be completed before the fest. It will be butter smooth (Just ignore the bumpy part in Northern Ozaukee County)!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I'm here waiting to get on the Badger

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Cool! I made it to Drew's house at around 5pm. We are planning to hit the road towards the Badger at midnight. See you all tomorrow afternoon!

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Great. My trip is Thursday morning. I'm sitting at a rest stop east of Pittsburgh.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
The night sky is amazing Amy has taken some pictures. Will post later

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It's a beautiful morning to be on the Badger! Drove all night to get here :cool:

The Spartan - the Badger's twin sister that is decommissioned and stored for parts.

The vehicle deck.

The Badger

Wheelhouse

Tractor trailers backing on.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Have a good trip. It's slow going to get here.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Cool Pictures MonsterDog - I've watched it come into Manitwoc, but never taken the ride.

We drove through Canada from Detroit to New Hampshire on the way to Maine for TDI Fest back in 13 and I'd never do that again. Horrible traffic, horrible roads, slow speed limits, etc.

On the way back we went the "long" way on the south side of the great lakes and it was roughly the same travel time, but much less stressful.

If you want to do it for the experience and sightseeing in Canada, by all means go for it, but don't do it for any kind of convenience.

MonsterDog

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Cool Pictures MonsterDog - I've watched it come into Manitwoc, but never taken the ride.

We drove through Canada from Detroit to New Hampshire on the way to Maine for TDI Fest back in 13 and I'd never do that again. Horrible traffic, horrible roads, slow speed limits, etc.

On the way back we went the "long" way on the south side of the great lakes and it was roughly the same travel time, but much less stressful.

If you want to do it for the experience and sightseeing in Canada, by all means go for it, but don't do it for any kind of convenience.
Thanks for the insight. It was just something to do. Definitely not for speed or convenience.

Which route is more picturesque? :)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
New Hampshire/Vermont/Upstate New York were pretty. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc are a bit less visually appealing to most.

I don't recall much unique for scenery in Canada though the last few hours were at night before we crossed back into the US.