Can I replace the starter without going under the car?

bendb

TDI
2011 Sportswagen, manual transmisson
I am new to my JSW (8 days), but not new to doing my own repairs (on previous cars I have owned). But I don't yet have any repair manuals.

I think the title says it all. I was only able to find one youtube video replacing the starter, and he got to the lower of the two bolts from the underside.

It seems like the sort of thing that might be possible from the top with the right extensions. Is it? Any hints?

I do have a jack, and jack stands, but I would really prefer to not jack the car up - it is a long story, but it would be a multi-hour project.

Last edited:

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Not sure whether yours is an automatic or a manual. Mine is a manual, and I don't see how you could get to the bottom bolt from the top. I certainly would not attempt it.

bendb

TDI
Not sure whether yours is an automatic or a manual. Mine is a manual, and I don't see how you could get to the bottom bolt from the top. I certainly would not attempt it.
Oops! Mine is a manual. Sorry about that.

I was thinking an extension just long enough to go past the body of the starter. Then reaching down with the ratchet; the handle would be between the battery and the front grill.

Do you have a particular concern about trying it, causing you to not want to attempt it?

Last edited:

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Oops! Mine is a manual. Sorry about that.

I was thinking an extension just long enough to go past the body of the starter. Then reaching down with the ratchet; the handle would be between the battery and the front grill.

Do you have a particular concern about trying it, causing you to not want to attempt it?
No, I don't think you have anything to lose, other than dropped tools. Since the car is still torn apart on the lift, I went out and checked; but I don't think I would be able to pull it off (pun intended). Let us know how it goes. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

bendb

TDI
No, I don't think you have anything to lose, other than dropped tools. Since the car is still torn apart on the lift, I went out and checked;/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for looking at that for me. If I drop tools, it will certainly be motivation to put it up on jack stands and pull the belly pan. I've never had a car with a belly pan!

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
On my 2002 TDI, I pulled the battery and battery box, with those out I was able to change out the starter all from the top. But I did drop stuff and it was caught in the belly pan. I got very lucky and was able to retrieve them without pulling the pan.
The issue with my starter was the braided cable that went between the solenoid and the motor had burned up.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I would take the belly pan off and go from underneath, Ive not had to replace a starter, but the access from the bottom looks awesome. the belly pan comes off easy enough in my experience, you may however want use an impact driver on the 3 t35 bolts at the back edge of the pan..