Retrofitting Apple CarPlay/Android Auto

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
There are a few devices that interface between the screen and head unit across different models.

I’ve never seen one that actually works well with continued support. The $800 I paid to swap in a MIB2 system was well worth it.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
There are a few devices that interface between the screen and head unit across different models.

I’ve never seen one that actually works well with continued support. The $800 I paid to swap in a MIB2 system was well worth it.
can you pls share where you got everything for the swap?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
You my friend have inspired me to take the plunge and embark in this conversion. I have now ordered everything, except the VAS tool (mib2, screen, female USB-A connector with harness).

Could you please spare me the pain of reading 1000+ pages of the other forum? How do you contact the mysterious Jack from Europe?

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
You my friend have inspired me to take the plunge and embark in this conversion. I have now ordered everything, except the VAS tool (mib2, screen, female USB-A connector with harness).
Could you please spare me the pain of reading 1000+ pages of the other forum? How do you contact the mysterious Jack from Europe?
Jack only works on weekdays (at his leisure) 09:00 to 17:00 CET, which is 3:00a to 11:00a EST. Contact him on Skype; I’ll PM you his information.

Also, don’t buy the VAS tool just yet. Leave Jack a message (he’ll appear offline) with the part numbers you bought, your VIN, and he’ll tell you exactly what you’ll need and how to proceed. Otherwise all you do need is a laptop with a stable wi-fi connection and the know-how to boot a virtual machine.

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Anyone else see this offering before for the MK7? https://thecarplayer.com/products/a...-passat-golf-polo?_pos=2&_sid=37b8bd644&_ss=r
If this product actually works, it'll be a huge money and time saver over retrofitting a new screen, unit, and trim that is available through EuroZoneTuning.
I'm not sure what this is. Maybe it's WiFi CarPlay but only for cars that are already CarPlay equipped. This is what it says: "This module will fit perfectly into your vehicle like if it was equipped with the original Carplay option."

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
From the looks of it, given that you're replacing the head unit (MIB) in the glove box, I think it does provide CP/AA for those non-equipped.

I will point out, though, that from the looks of it, this will NOT work with Fender Premium audio package, which outputs the sound signal via a MOST (optical) connector to the underseat amp. This looks like it uses (and needs) the direct-to-speaker wiring (green, white, grey, purple pairs).

(Maybe they have an option to provide audio output via MOST, but this photo from their installation "blog" shows speaker wiring):

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I don't like products that give no detail. I understand that extensive detail will not always be provided else products can be copied but they are extremely vague. With that out of the way, does this thing replace the main unit or get added?

The install blog says "Replace the glove compartment and the radio and enjoy the Carplay by pressing the MENU button for 2 seconds" which suggests this thing sits between your existing unit and the rest of the vehicle, electrically speaking. Then, when seeing the Menu button pressed for 2 seconds it would provide video to your screen instead of your main unit. The blog shows an LCD In and and LCD Out connector. Looking at the colors their labels are somewhat misleading and should be labeled "LCD" and "Main Unit" instead. In any case, that sorts out the display.

I'm not sure I trust this company or it's product. The product shown on the linked page is not the product shown in the Golf 7 install blog post. I admit this could just be a mistake on their site, but for a $500+ product I want the site to be right. The lack of detail is another issue. Also the design seems overly complicated and there's NO way I'm giving up the other MIB I functions just to add Carplay/AA.

I'm not sure what's going on with power. I suspect some type of "Y Harness" is being used for power/ground. There are so many wires on their power plug that I have to think Nuje is correct that they are also tapped into the speaker outputs. But that would mean this unit must also an amp (and it could be, but again, no details provided). And like Nuje stated, not going to work with Fender... which should be highlighted on the product page.

If I were designing this... I would use a "Y harness" to get power/ground, then I would connect between the main unit and screen (which they do) and also between the main unit and aux in. To use my product you would set your audio source to Aux and then something similar (like Menu for 2 seconds) for my box take over video. That would mean everything in your car still works as normal. Your Aux input is now for Carplay/AA (only when you have selected Carplay/AA video, otherwise I just pass it through so you can still use your aux port and you get Carplay/AA video when selected. I wouldn't "touch" anything else and I wouldn't need your VIN.

HEY, none of you steal my idea :p

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have to agree with Cuzoe here, too. They're asking for a LOT of trust on the part of the buyer that ain't cheap and on which they are vague with regards to....well, just about everything.

Refund policy page: 30 days, but..."Several types of goods are exempt from being returned. Personnalized goods with vin such as carplay modules cannot be returned."

Take the page that provides "Installation schemas":
Basically, "Oh - you want to know what's involved with installing this? Sure - just send us $550 and THEN we'll let you know."

So, even though we have an A3 on which I would really like to (easily) get AA/Carplay installed and working....not. gonna. happen.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Someone posted about that in the TDI101 forum "What did you do today" thread...I have to say, though, that it looks like a bogus post from a "newbie" (user joined specifically to make that post) - has the feel of an unpaid product placement faux-testimonial.

To follow up with Cuzoe's comments: The box looks like it has these interface connections:
LCD IN
LCD OUT
MIC
MEDIA
TOUCH (?)
POWER

Part of the instructions say that you need to (optionally) connect an external mic to enable Siri input. Which begs the question, though: What happens to bluetooth sound input? Like, can you carry on a phone call if you choose to (optionally) NOT install that microphone (and place it, like they suggest, underneath the steering column shroud (***?!).

Is there even a bluetooth module built in (not mentioned anywhere)? If you don't plug in your phone, do you have the ability to stream audio or make phone calls through that unit?

So many questions, no answers. And sketchy behaviour. Returns not allowed. If those aren't enough red flags for you....probably should've paid closer attention in semaphore class. :D

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
We now have a post by the same user in the Mk7 specific "what did you do to your car today" thread... I think we have solved the case, haha.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Drys

TDI
'15 GSW SEL
We now have a post by the same user in the Mk7 specific "what did you do to your car today" thread... I think we have solved the case, haha.

Are you talking about me? Because this thread is the only one I have ever started since joining last year.

I saw a post about this unit on the mk7golf forums (not by me) but it got deleted for some reason and I never saw the reply.

Judging by all the informative posts in here, this is some voodoo magic lol. I do have the Fender Audio package so it doesn't seem like it'll work for me. I am trying to find my best options to get CarPlay on my MIB2 system without upgrading and spending $2,000 on EZT :rolleyes:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm guessing that golfmk7 post was pulled down for the same reason the post in the TDI101 forum here should be removed (if it hasn't already): It's a promo pretending to be a real post.

Even if it was a decent-quality product (and I have serious doubts - see above), a company that's making those "marketing" choices is not a company with which I want to do business.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Are you talking about me?...
No, I wasn't referring to your post, there was (what appeared to be) a spam post pushing that product. Having done the retrofit (twice myself) the product doesn't seem to be legit. Nuje and I saw you looking for a AA/Carplay solution and that product looked to be a decent solution on the surface, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Carplayer

TDI
Golf MK7
I don't like products that give no detail. I understand that extensive detail will not always be provided else products can be copied but they are extremely vague. With that out of the way, does this thing replace the main unit or get added?
The install blog says "Replace the glove compartment and the radio and enjoy the Carplay by pressing the MENU button for 2 seconds" which suggests this thing sits between your existing unit and the rest of the vehicle, electrically speaking. Then, when seeing the Menu button pressed for 2 seconds it would provide video to your screen instead of your main unit. The blog shows an LCD In and and LCD Out connector. Looking at the colors their labels are somewhat misleading and should be labeled "LCD" and "Main Unit" instead. In any case, that sorts out the display.
I'm not sure I trust this company or it's product. The product shown on the linked page is not the product shown in the Golf 7 install blog post. I admit this could just be a mistake on their site, but for a $500+ product I want the site to be right. The lack of detail is another issue. Also the design seems overly complicated and there's NO way I'm giving up the other MIB I functions just to add Carplay/AA.
I'm not sure what's going on with power. I suspect some type of "Y Harness" is being used for power/ground. There are so many wires on their power plug that I have to think Nuje is correct that they are also tapped into the speaker outputs. But that would mean this unit must also an amp (and it could be, but again, no details provided). And like Nuje stated, not going to work with Fender... which should be highlighted on the product page.
If I were designing this... I would use a "Y harness" to get power/ground, then I would connect between the main unit and screen (which they do) and also between the main unit and aux in. To use my product you would set your audio source to Aux and then something similar (like Menu for 2 seconds) for my box take over video. That would mean everything in your car still works as normal. Your Aux input is now for Carplay/AA (only when you have selected Carplay/AA video, otherwise I just pass it through so you can still use your aux port and you get Carplay/AA video when selected. I wouldn't "touch" anything else and I wouldn't need your VIN.
HEY, none of you steal my idea :p
From the looks of it, given that you're replacing the head unit (MIB) in the glove box, I think it does provide CP/AA for those non-equipped.

I will point out, though, that from the looks of it, this will NOT work with Fender Premium audio package, which outputs the sound signal via a MOST (optical) connector to the underseat amp. This looks like it uses (and needs) the direct-to-speaker wiring (green, white, grey, purple pairs).

(Maybe they have an option to provide audio output via MOST, but this photo from their installation "blog" shows speaker wiring):
Hello everyone,

I'm a sales manager and the site you are talking about. Sorry about the late reply but its hard to keep track of every place that our site gets mentioned at.

But hopefully I can shed light on some of your concerns!

Extensive detail on products, you guessed it, gets copied easily. If any of our potential customers need more information on anything really we are 24/7 there for them. They can ask for anything: schemes, tutorials, checking their VIN number etc.

However, all our units are pretty much Plug&Play and are really easy to install for an ordinary person.

There are mistakes on our part not highlighting some of the wires and naming them appropriately so it causes no confusion but that is getting sorted as we speak.

This all comes from our site being practically new (~3 months since activity started) because we were working domestically. This is of course no excuse and the site will be taken into moderation to make everything clear.

This is where posts like this help us learn and change our ways to help the customer understand our products, so I want to thank you for your input and it will be used to hopefully improve our platform.

As for the Refund policy mentioned: It is now 30 days on all of our products.

The user Nuje mentioned the Installation schemes and he's completely right, that was a mistake on our part and it has since been changed to available for everyone if you message us. We always did provide the schemes if the customer was interested in our product without him ordering/buying the product which can be proved.

As for random posts on different threads, we really can't control those. If someone is interested in our product and wants to know more from other people, there's nothing we can do about that.

As for the Bluetooth and Microphone questions, our posts will be edited so we provide more information on them so thank you for pointing that out for us!

I'm not sure what sketchy behavior you've witnessed from us but I'm sorry that you feel that way. We've always been available to contact via instagram/facebook or our site to talk in detail about your questions.

You should have probably contacted us and we would clarify all your issues so you don't have to call us sketchy. :)

Returns are of course allowed I'm not sure where you've got this information? We can't please everyone so if a customer is not satisfied with our product and wants to return it, of course he can.

Hopefully I've clarified some things. You can always contact us via social media and/or website.

Have a nice day!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I saw this post this morning (8:30am PDT), I went to their website and filled in the "CONTACT US" form, asking for the installation and operation/user manual (because their installation page still doesn't have live links.)

So that whole "we're there for any potential customers 24/7" thing....maybe it's true and they are "there", but they don't get around to answer emails very promptly. Now coming up on 1pm PDT - four hours later, which is coming up on the end of the work day in Delaware (the "about us" page lists their address as being in Delaware)

Now, maybe they're just a Delaware-registered LLC for legal purposes, based off-shore somewhere, but then again to my reservations with this outfit....why obfuscate that fact?

Carplayer

TDI
Golf MK7
When I saw this post this morning (8:30am PDT), I went to their website and filled in the "CONTACT US" form, asking for the installation and operation/user manual (because their installation page still doesn't have live links.)

So that whole "we're there for any potential customers 24/7" thing....maybe it's true and they are "there", but they don't get around to answer emails very promptly. Now coming up on 1pm PDT - four hours later, which is coming up on the end of the work day in Delaware (the "about us" page lists their address as being in Delaware)

Now, maybe they're just a Delaware-registered LLC for legal purposes, based off-shore somewhere, but then again to my reservations with this outfit....why obfuscate that fact?
I'm very sorry, we seem to be having issues with the Contact form on our site all of sudden, may I suggest contacting us via facebook? https://www.facebook.com/thecarplayer

EDIT: The contact form is working properly again!

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - lots of people here eschew Facebook because....well, Facebook gonna Facebook; *uck Zuck!

Anyway, I filled in the contact form (again); awaiting response.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I did not witness anything sketchy, just that the mismatched product pictures (as compared to the install blog) seemed sketchy for a new and not inexpensive product. Additionally, I still don't understand why VIN is needed. And to be clear, I'm not concerned about the security of my VIN. It's right there on the windshield.

I just don't see why it's necessary for this product, unless it is replacing the main unit. And again, if it's replacing the main unit then what is being given up to add CarPlay/AndroidAuto?

I tried getting to the product page again today and VW is not on the list but I was able to get to it by going to the News/Blog tab, then getting to page 4 which has the Golf install tutorial, which then has a link to the unit at the bottom.

That aside, I browsed the site and found more blog posts and products that lack the detail on function that I would consider necessary to make a purchase. There is a blog post that talks about using CarPlay on an Android radio. It says to purchase a "USB Dongle to benefit from Carplay, Android Auto, and Mirror Link options on your car radio GPS" and to download CarPlay in .apk form.

I have to be honest, I'm not sure what the USB dongle description means. And, to my knowledge, Apple does not offer CarPlay for Android phones. There are some UI's that look like CarPlay but they certainly are not CarPlay... and they seem to have mediocre reviews, at best.

I like the idea of these products, but I'm far from sold on them. Looking forward to the response Nuje gets from his contact requests.

Carplayer

TDI
Golf MK7
The mismatched product pictures are mostly for models who have the same installation process. I might be wrong on some examples but as I said I'm going slowly through the whole site and fixing what needs to be fixed.

VIN is necessary because we get a lot of orders and human error is possible and it happens more than you'd like to think. So what the VIN number gives us are some crucial information (model year, equipment, etc) so we can sort out the orders and not make mistakes.

None of our modules are replacing the main unit, they are just an addition to it.

The product page for VW is in works and should be launched today/tomorrow, sorry about your inconvenience!

I'll make sure to specify more on what the product provides in the Dongle that you've mentioned. Its basically an UI which works just like Carplay and we've sold a lot of them and people seem to be happy with the product.

Thank you for your valuable insights, it helps us grow!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Despite "location" of the user showing as USA, and the address listed in their ABOUT US is in Delaware, the email from them includes some Serbian. Not saying this is good or bad...just relaying information. (For the record, still no installation instructions - just the below request for my VIN)

Carplayer

TDI
Golf MK7
Despite "location" of the user showing as USA, and the address listed in their ABOUT US is in Delaware, the email from them includes some Serbian. Not saying this is good or bad...just relaying information. (For the record, still no installation instructions - just the below request for my VIN)
Looks like Russian to me lol

Yes, I also asked for pictures of the main screen which I'm yet to receive. :p

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Google told me it was Serbian. :p

My car is a NAR Highline (SEL) with Fender Premium Audio; what more information do you need than that?
(Don't have access to the car at the moment)

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
There is no “j” in Russian so it is probably something else.

To be honest, it looks like English written partially with the Cyrillic script to me.

Those Cyrillic characters would say “July” based on sounding them out. Could also be the same name for the month in some other language too I guess.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, in any event, in response to this assertion from Carplayer above...
If any of our potential customers need more information on anything really we are 24/7 there for them. They can ask for anything: schemes, tutorials, checking their VIN number etc.
As a potential customer, I asked specifically for tutorial and "scheme" (translation of installation instructions, I think)....which is replied to during the day in Europe (not exactly 24/7). Not that I would expect 24/7 service, but then...don't mention or offer it if you can't deliver on it.

And in reply, I've been asked for my VIN (which I provided), but that wasn't enough. Then they needed a photo of the main screen in main menu of the centre display. The car's not here right now, so I just re-iterated that it's a 2015 NAR TDI SEL/Highline with Fender Premium Audio.
Which was met with the reply:
I’ll head down to our mechanic and ask him if it will work with Fender Premium Audio.
And radio silence since then (August 2)...five days ago.

So, again, the product is interesting, but the lack of open-ness and consistent communication has me steering clear.

Now...if they wanted to send a review unit for me to test and write a product review of....I'm always here for that. You have my contact info, Carplayer.

rejenet24

TDI
2015 Gold TDI SEL
Has anyone heard or seen anything more about these guys? I sent a message into their website and did receive the scheme, confirmation that it should work with the Fender Audio, and that it doesn't actually replace the MIB. It's just surprising that there doesn't seem to be any mention of them anywhere else.