Heartbreak! Hallmark: All TDIs are delayed until summer '08

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI auto (wife's)
oilhammer said:
How is that last new NB TDI equipped? And how much would one have to pay if one wanted such an animal? :)
Model Year:</U>2006 Model:</U>1C153A NEW BEETLE TDI AUTO Exterior Color:</U>A1A1 BLACK Interior Color:</U>LN BLACK LEATHERETTE Options:</U>PM1 PACKAGE 1 </U>QV8 SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO

$22490 should be the retail price.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
twigless said:
Model Year:</U>2006 Model:</U>1C153A NEW BEETLE TDI AUTO Exterior Color:</U>A1A1 BLACK Interior Color:</U>LN BLACK LEATHERETTE Options:</U>PM1 PACKAGE 1 </U>QV8 SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO

$22490 should be the retail price.
Bleh! Not enough pedals.... :mad:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
TDI 4 RD said:
It's too bad about the delay, but as a 2006 Jetta TDI owner, this means my resale value will continue to hold steady for a few more months. :D
I keep enjoying the fact that the Passat retains its value. However, its a touch feely thing, as I have no intention of selling it.

With the increased cost and complexity, it may have a lot of appeal due to its simplicity. Again it only makes me feel good (snooty and superior in a wise decision!) as I don’t intend to sell, and my wife would skin me if I mentioned it.

I keep reading about the new stuff, but it keeps moving down the timeline.

And an interesting development. Cummins has announced it will meet the 2010 on road large diesel standards with NO urea injection. Very interesting (the others have not said yet).

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
oilhammer said:
Wow. I predicted we would not even see any 2008 MY TDIs. Looks like I was right, as chances are any 'new' 2008 cars brought into the country in 'late summer' may as well be 2009 MY cars. Usually week 39 is the cutoff, but there are some exceptions (my dad's 2003 Element was built in Nov. of 2003?).

Which this means all the "bugs" won't get worked out until 2010 at the earliest. :rolleyes:
Same here! I said it was all just vaporware until I see them with my own eyes on a dealer lot or on the street.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
philosophicaljt said:
How can they promise that they will be ahead of toyota and honda?
Well, they already are ahead of Honda globally, and very close to Toyota, so....

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
To those who say they can't wait and will go to Honda/Toyota/non-VW, I ask this: Do you honestly believe that a Honda/Toyota/non-VW dealer's service department will be ready to competently service your new diesel?

I am quite aware of the shortcomings of VW's service, but tdiclub more than makes up for that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
owr084 said:
To those who say they can't wait and will go to Honda/Toyota/non-VW, I ask this: Do you honestly believe that a Honda/Toyota/non-VW dealer's service department will be ready to competently service your new diesel?
My flippant response is that the Honda/Toyota probably won't need much in the way of service. I never worried about the service department when I owned Toyotas--they almost never went there, and never for anything complex. They simply didn't break.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There undoubtedly are Honda and Toyota groups that also believe they have a better information and knowledge base than their marque's dealers. We in the TDI commumity aren't all that special.
Adrian Hallmark said:

November 7, 2007​
To: All Volkswagen Dealers
Subject: Clean Diesel TDI Launch
Dear Dealer,
I am writing to inform you that the North American introduction of the new Clean Diesel 2.0 li TDI for the Jetta Sedan and Wagon has been delayed from April 2008, to late summer 2008.

For image and competitive reasons, we are now working hard to bring early promotional cars into the Country in order to give you the chance to pre-sell the production arriving in October, during the Summer months.
Yours sincerely,

Adrian Hallmark
Dear Adrian,
Summer ends on the 22nd of September in 2008. Already your initial launch of April, then delayed until a "late summer", has been delayed yet again until October which is Autumn.
Do not let this become a habit.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
brucep said:
All too often somone sets an unrealistic delivery date to satisfy the beancounters or stockholders. It takes real guts to stand in front of that train and delay a major launch.
Hmmm... Just ask the folks at Airbus (and now Boeing) about that :eek:

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
IndigoBlueWagon said:
My flippant response is that the Honda/Toyota probably won't need much in the way of service. I never worried about the service department when I owned Toyotas--they almost never went there, and never for anything complex. They simply didn't break.
Yea but, pull one of those Toyota's/Honda's up next to your VW, open and slam the door of each and then take an asprin and call me in the morning. ;) Later!

ScottieDucati

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDi/6M
Harvieux said:
Yea but, pull one of those Toyota's/Honda's up next to your VW, open and slam the door of each and then take an asprin and call me in the morning. ;) Later!
A good friend of mine who goes to the Alps nearly every year and rents a diesel nearly every year... along w/ living in Europe for 10+ years, said when I mentioned the new Honda diesels, that they are crappy diesels, and very poor performance / reliability compared w/ their gasser models.

Totally subjective opinion I know, but I wouldn't buy a non VW / Audi diesel anyway ;-)

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Every new US model diesel is vaporware until it shows up on the dealer's lot. I wouldn't take any bets on when that will be for VW or any other maker. But the first one on the showroom floor wins the door prize.

I also wouldn't bet big money on Cummins making a decent diesel in the near future, at least not for pickups and not in terms of reliability and fuel economy. I have had two Dodge CTDs, 1996 (wish I still had it) and 2003. From what I read at the TDR, the new models do not compare well. Maybe eventually Cummins will make another one that I would want, but I'm glad I didn't order one last fall. I guess for diesels in the US, these days are like the early days of pollution control for gasoline engines. I just hope they recover and still offer the economy we're used to.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
well, that will bode well with the slick salesmen using the lower diesel prices in summer to sell TDIs...there is no technical problem, VW is waiting for the diesel price to drop.

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
Well unless Honda puts their diesel in the Civic or Hyundai accelerates its plans and puts a diesel in an Elantra or Sonata, I guess I will have to wait until fall. The Accord should be out around the same time as the Jetta TDI, but looking at Accord prices leads me to believe that would be at least 26k for a diesel. I believe the Jetta should come in at less than that. The Accord is too large of a car for me anyways. I am just disappointed that I have to suffer through another summer of record gas prices going through 15gal/week. On another note, I looked at the 08 Malibu the other day and if GM put a diesel in that they would have a real winner in my book.

joe1347

TDI
none
VW better hope that Toyota doesn't come out with the new Prius or Honda with the new diesel Accord before the common rail Jettas hit the showrooms. Otherwise, press (and consumer) attention will certainly be limited.

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Honda still has to run on diesel and not magic juice. VW has a lot of diesel experience, Honda will probably run into similar developmental challanges.

SeanP

TDI
96 Passat
Funny how the U.S. is more stringent with diesel emissions than the rest of the world but the rest of the world is twice as stringest with gas car emissions. Makes you wonder if there will be a movie called "Who killed the diesel car?"

gcarper

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Who wants to bet that Honda releases first?

I bet $20 that Honda gets across the finish line first.... any takers?

Honda Readies Accord 2.2L for US launch
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Scott Anderson[/FONT]

ANN ARBOR, MI - The clock has started on the Accord diesel entry to the US: T-minus two years and counting.

At the recent Tokyo Motor Show, Honda let it be known that its 2.2L i-CTDi will in fact be the diesel mill for the Accord by 2009.

On our test drive of the Accord i-CTDi on loan from a fleet maintained by Bosch USA, we find the European market model to be loaded with torque compared to its gasoline counterpart and as civilized.

The i-CTDi scores a 30 percent fuel economy performance over the gasoline version, with 39 city and 63 highway mpg. But it’s also a torque-lover’s dream, pushing forward with 250lb-ft at 2000 rpm, compared with the gasoline 2.0L iVTEC Accord, which delivers 140lb-ft at 4,500 rpm. Horsepower on the i-CTDI tops 140hp, versus 155hp for the gas iVTEC.

When it comes to performance, the six-speed manual Accord i-CTDi reaches a 132 mph top speed and 0-62 mph in 9.3 seconds - virtually identical with the iVTEC, five-speed gasoline Accord.

Honda has vowed to include four-cylinder diesel in its US lineup by 2009, followed by a V-6 soon thereafter.

And while the confirmation of the Accord diesel comes as no surprise, the automaker also dropped hints that it could be just the tip of the iceberg for Americans eager for more options. The European Accord is based on the Acura TSX for Europe, and not the North American Accord.

According to press reports from Tokyo, Honda engineers say the NOx removal system for the Accord, which doesn’t require additional onboard urea, is scalable to larger diesel variants.

The automaker is now currently configuring the 2.2-liter i-CTDi diesel to use a NOx catalytic converter to meet the U.S. Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions regulations in 2010.

Inside the converter are two layers, one which absorbs adsorbs NOx from the exhaust and converts a portion of it into ammonia, and a second that adsorbs the resulting ammonia and uses it to detoxify the remaining NOx into harmless nitrogen. This process takes place without the need for additional urea injection, which other carmakers have said is necessary clean emissions of larger diesel vehicles, such as SUVs.

When Honda does settle on its diesel powertrain and the trim level it may occupy, the model will join a more powerful lineup of Accords taking aim at larger mid-luxury sedans.

The just released 2008 Accord packs the most powerful gasoline engine ever for the model with a 3.5L V-6. The performance boost also applies to the Accord’s standard engine, a 2.4L i-VTEC four-cylinder with 177hp, which enjoys a 7 percent power hike over its forerunner. A second option is a 190hp inline four-cylinder. The sedan is available with a five-speed manual in addition to automatic.

The ‘08 Accord coupe comes with either 2.4-liter i-VTEC 4-cylinder, putting out 190 hp; and two versions of a new 268-hp, 3.5-liter V-6, iVTEC (automatic models) and the six-speed manual transmission.

Bosch has been circulating its fleet of diesel import models to journalists and during special events. The fleet includes a Chrysler 300, Audi A6, BMW 5 Series and the two-seater Smart diesel, in an effort to drum up interest.

While the Accord was in the Diesel Forecast garage in Ann Arbor it drew more than a few curious gawkers, but also several inquisitive passersby wondering when they will be able to drive one off a dealership lot.

One interested party even left a note on the dashboard addressed to the vehicle.

“I’ve seen you driving around, and I’ve heard that you are one of the quietest diesels on the road! ... Are there any plans to bring you to the United States. How can I learn more about you?”

The public interest in diesels only continues to rise. According to a recent study by financial services and investment firm UBS, diesel vehicles will out strip hybrid electric models - 1.5 million units to 1.2 million units in projected annual sales by 2012.

NOVEMBER 2007

booty

Veteran Member
63mpg Highway

That 63 MPG has got to be a typo. Probably more like 43. Still however if priced right it could be my next new car.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I was just at the dealer today getting my routine 32k km service done on the B6; I am sorry to report that the dry spell has now officially begun: not a single new TDI left on the lot. Fresh shipment of City Golfs and Jettas though. The Golf is kinda homely looking; the Jetta City front end sort of makes it look like a B5.5 Passat that shrunk in the wash but the back end is blah. Not bad bang for the buck though; 6-speed Tiptronic or 5-sp manual.

But I digress. It is a shame to see a VW lot devoid of TDIs. This dealer always had a good 20 or so TDIs on the lot. Let's hope VW gets their house in order soon. I doubt a refreshed 9 year old design (for N. America at least) will cut it for too long as a volume sales replacement for the TDI. Remember that in Canada, TDIs made up about 40% of the total sales volume and about 50% of the A4 platform sales, especially in Quebec.

I spoke with the dealership owner; he's some pi$$ed at the TDI delay.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I live in South Africa part of the year (now) and in the USA the other part (later). Too bad it's so darn expensive to bring in and federalize a car! Here I can buy nearly every VW model with a TDI, including Polo, Touran and Caravelle (Eurovan to US folks), all of which are unavailable to US customers. The Polo with a 1.9 litre TDI is a screamer! I won't be selling my B5.5V in the USA anytime soon!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Blame the environmental regulators more than VW -- or any other carmaker who has diesels elsewhere in the world, for that matter. What we have is overzealous regulators creating a situation where the bar has been raised so high that the automakers are having difficulty meeting the requirements. So what do we get? People buying 25mpg gassers instead. Is that progress? Can't we drop the bar a little in the interim as the automakers work towards meeting the tough standards?

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
twigless said:
There will never be another new Beetle TDI in the US. The Beetle is being fased out... my thought is the Beetle will be gone by MY2010, and we'll have a Karmann Ghia around 2012.
According to VW's chief designer they are working on the New Beetle 2 to be released around 2010.

BossDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Black Uni
Woe is me, I put a couple hundred dollars down at the dealer a few weeks ago...waiting for a chance to order one and take delivery in March or April. Looks like I'll be driving by 2005 a few more months. Got 90,000 on the clock now, expect to have 125,000+ on it by end of August.

chewy

Veteran Member
TDI
None
gcarper said:
I bet $20 that Honda gets across the finish line first.... any takers?

Honda Readies Accord 2.2L for US launch
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Scott Anderson[/FONT]

The automaker is now currently configuring the 2.2-liter i-CTDi diesel to use a NOx catalytic converter to meet the U.S. Tier 2 Bin 5 emissions regulations in 2010.
Tier 2 Bin 5 is already in effect if you want to sell to all 50 states. Either the article got it wrong, or many people won't see a diesel Honda for 2+ years.

Last edited: