Should VW compensate TDI owners not covered in settlement?

gdav

TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
Wondering whether TDIs not covered in the VW settlement have any recourse for compensation as they were also marketed as 'clean diesels' at the time -- seems like they also suffer from decreased value due to VW's deceptive practices and therefore should be eligible for some financial relief.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This is why insurance is so high in America. Everyone is lawsuit happy. Clean or not I'm still driving my TDI. Like any of you cheapskates bought it for being "clean"

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I guess everybody wants to cash in :rolleyes: . Pretty sure the "clean diesel" marketing campaign was introduced in '09.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is actually another class action lawsuit filed by Shana E. Scarlett and Steve W. Berman of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP for those who fall outside the dates in the other law suit. Probably any one who owned a 2009 and on at any time. I would assume you had to be the original owner though. You would want to check with them as to what is required to be included and what they expect to collect if anything.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
I read Gdav's FIRST post on the forum above. If anything, the older VW diesels have gone up in value because of the buyback on the newer models.

Eric

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
This is why insurance is so high in America. Everyone is lawsuit happy. Clean or not I'm still driving my TDI. Like any of you cheapskates bought it for being "clean"
That is funny Narongc73. I think most people bought because of the MPG. There are wayyyy too many lawsuits in the USA. In this VW case, the plaintiff firm got a lot a boatload of money and has not served the class well.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Wondering whether TDIs not covered in the VW settlement have any recourse for compensation as they were also marketed as 'clean diesels' at the time
No, they weren't. If you believe to the contrary, onus is on you to provide proof. And in any case ... "clean" is within the context of the era in which it was originally sold. Once upon a time, a Ford Model T was revolutionary. It's now a museum piece ... or outdated junk.

-- seems like they also suffer from decreased value due to VW's deceptive practices and therefore should be eligible for some financial relief.
No.

In any case, the newest model year not subject to "dieselgate" at the time that the scandal broke was model year 2006 which was already a 9 year old car at the time.

I had one of those. By the time the scandal broke, I had already bought that car brand new, put 430,000 km on it, and sold it for about 1/10 of its original retail price with a long list of things-to-do for the buyer (who is another member of this forum!). AFAIK he still has it. I got my money's worth out of it and I'm sure not crying to the lawyers.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Now, GoFaster, I bet you'd take a Model T in a heartbeat if offered to you free or at a very discounted price.:)

Well, this month makes 38 years that I've been driving VW diesels. I never once considered them for anything but MPGs. My commute and on the job driving (paid mileage) was incentive to own something economical to drive and maintain. I have always done my own maintenance. Having access to my uncle's huge garage and knowledge of VWs was a no brainer. I got parts at his cost via his suppliers for years.

And, I agree with what someone mentioned, if anything the older model VW diesels have held value pretty good. But, I won't be selling mine anytime soon, thus, nothing of concern for me.

Oh, and to help the atmosphere, a functioning CAT has been on my ALH in the Vanagon from day one! :D

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Wondering whether TDIs not covered in the VW settlement have any recourse for compensation as they were also marketed as 'clean diesels' at the time -- seems like they also suffer from decreased value due to VW's deceptive practices and therefore should be eligible for some financial relief.

What's this your first post ?
I'm sure most people who drive tdi's brought them for other reasons than resale value, clean or not. There's a vast Majority of people that mod vehicles gas, diesel or other wise, I'm sure the environment never crosses their mind.

Bajan

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
There's likely a law firm advertising on a huge billboard near you. Give them a call and, if you're fortunate, they'll be tired of chasing ambulances and be willing to file another suit against VW.
Good luck.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
First and only post, maybe a lawyer trying to incite the herd. Class action and all that so said lawyer can make big bucks and everyone else gets a free oil change.

Last edited:

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm glad Dieselgate made my MK4 more valuable!. I've had note left on my car "Will you sell this car, cal xxx-xxx-xxx". Never happened on my Mustang, Camaro, Lightning, Trans Am, Mazdaspeeds, Lexus, etc....

Even though my 04' was part of Dieselgate, it was all about the feds getting fine money period. They don't give a hoot about emissions.

MonkeyWrench

TDI
2012 JSW TDi
contact info please?

There is actually another class action lawsuit filed by Shana E. Scarlett and Steve W. Berman of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP for those who fall outside the dates in the other law suit. Probably any one who owned a 2009 and on at any time. I would assume you had to be the original owner though. You would want to check with them as to what is required to be included and what they expect to collect if anything.
I'm wondering if you might know how to contact these folks... I've found a 2010 TDi Jetta sportwagen, the owner didn't join the class action lawsuit... I'd love to buy this vehicle and have the modification done!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
A google search for "Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP" show them right up. If what you say is true just buy it and file with the other lawsuit that is still running, you should get some owner restitution money IIRC, keeping the car with the fix.