What did you do to your MKIV today?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Had the '01 Golf T-Boned. The Mrs. was driving and someone ran a stop sign, plowed into the driver's side door, it spun her around and the right front wheel hit the curb popping the tire. Janet is fine thanks to good ol' German engineering and we were able to drive it home. The door still works and locks and the window still rolls up and down, so we'll have time to look for a replacement. Over 18 years with the car without a scratch...

My condolences. Glad y'all are OK.

cheers,
Douglas

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
My condolences. Glad y'all are OK.
cheers,
Douglas
Thanks, Douglas. I was at home when it happened, less than a half mile from the house. I went down and changed the tire while the paramedics were checking Janet out, and she drove the car home.

Last edited:

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
Fecal matter has struck the oscillating rotator

Tore the '02 wagon down to the flywheel and progress stopped. Hrmmmmmm...

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Had the '01 Golf T-Boned. The Mrs. was driving and someone ran a stop sign, plowed into the driver's side door, it spun her around and the right front wheel hit the curb popping the tire. Janet is fine thanks to good ol' German engineering and we were able to drive it home. The door still works and locks and the window still rolls up and down, so we'll have time to look for a replacement. Over 18 years with the car without a scratch...
Dang, that sucks! Glad she's ok, but keep an eye on her for issues to creep up after the fact.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Cram in a 10, or perhaps even an 8mm bit and pry it towards straight. If you start with an 8, move to a 10... This assuming the two bits still can move relative( and prying with a very short bit past the fulcrum is a good way to find out ). Had the nearly wrecked dmf on two that took this to get 'im loose.
cheers,
Douglas

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Well, finally agreed to settlement with Allstate. After rejecting offer of $1400, claim was transferred to "total loss" team . After talking to new adjuster, told me to send him receipts of recent work to help value. Called on Monday, called him back on Tuesday. He said it didn't help value much, so he expanded search for comparables. No dice there, so he got some book values from 2 different books I think and averaged them out-came up with around $2600, plus tax for over $2800. After my deductible of $200 and salvage value buyback of $252, ended up with $2379. Pretty happy with that. I got a decent platinum grey hood yesterday and installed. Polished the headlights, then put sealer on them. I messed the paint up on fender,wire brushed it last night and started over.Picked up another battery today. Installed a new serpentine belt tensioner, one on car was leaking oil. Debating on whether to get new windshield,this one still has chips that haven't spread, but has lots of pitting which makes it a ***** to see at night. Hope to be back driving it next week....

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Glad to see another tdi saved from the scrapper! Reconstructed titles don't mean poop to me.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Well, finally agreed to settlement with Allstate. After rejecting offer of $1400, claim was transferred to "total loss" team . After talking to new adjuster, told me to send him receipts of recent work to help value. Called on Monday, called him back on Tuesday. He said it didn't help value much, so he expanded search for comparables. No dice there, so he got some book values from 2 different books I think and averaged them out-came up with around $2600, plus tax for over $2800. After my deductible of $200 and salvage value buyback of $252, ended up with $2379. Pretty happy with that. I got a decent platinum grey hood yesterday and installed. Polished the headlights, then put sealer on them. I messed the paint up on fender,wire brushed it last night and started over.Picked up another battery today. Installed a new serpentine belt tensioner, one on car was leaking oil. Debating on whether to get new windshield,this one still has chips that haven't spread, but has lots of pitting which makes it a ***** to see at night. Hope to be back driving it next week....
I wish full coverage insurance in Michigan was more affordable. I only need to go 18 months without an accident to save $2500 up, while still paying PLPD...

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Tore the '02 wagon down to the flywheel and progress stopped. Hrmmmmmm...
I resolved one like this by getting a very large punch and whacking it against one of the pins on the flywheel. Meaning, one of those out on the periphery of the flywheel that is used to locate the clutch pressure plate.

I realized that since I was removing this, it doesn't matter what destruction you wreak on it, just so you can get it off without messing up the crankshaft.

Good luck!

Cheers,

PH

benson4349

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (ALH, MT)
Cram in a 10, or perhaps even an 8mm bit and pry it towards straight. If you start with an 8, move to a 10... This assuming the two bits still can move relative( and prying with a very short bit past the fulcrum is a good way to find out ). Had the nearly wrecked dmf on two that took this to get 'im loose.
cheers,
Douglas
I’m working in a farm shop and found a very large punch (about 18” long) that just fit inside the bolt heads. Made the job easy once I found that. Sounds like I was lucky being able to resolve this via “pry bar” vs. the other option.
Too bad the RMS is leaking. That’s really the only part of this job that kinda scares me. Nuts and bolts I can handle but I always get nervous around seals. Probably because I don’t have the same confidence that they will hold the way I do in a bolt that’s been torqued to spec (even though those can fail, too). And of course all the extra mess and work it creates if you get it wrong. :eek:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I swapped the coolant in my mk6 jsw tdi. Was rust colored. Not separating just rust colored. my parts store had a bottle of consentrate. New old stock. got the gallon for 38 bucks with tax. Was 58 full price.
hopefully its mixed to the right ratio. Flushed the system 5 times with distilled water. drained everything i could. Added half a gallon concentrate, drained the rad again, was still water, added the other half gallon. drained the rad into a clean bucket. Dumped the bucket back in, then topped off with some 50/50. First coolant that made my hands itchy. will have to get a tester and check it.
Did you know DEX-KILL is compatible with g12+. found that odd. will never use that stuff.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I had Safelite install new windshield yesterday- just over $240 coming to my house, that's with a $30 promo code. I went online Wednesday night, and I was surprised they had a morning or afternoon appointment available Friday morning. The installer was very thorough, he ground the one spot of rust down on the passenger side and treated it. I'm debating on whether to replace the back window, only 2 defroster lines work, and it was tinted. I see that VW clearance site has some rear windows on clearance for $69, need to check to see if it's got defroster in it....

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
Hit a doe this morning, tossed her over the other lane into the ditch. Grille and hood damage, still releases and locks. Thank you VW for designing a thicker hood.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey at least your windshield is OK! And air bags didn't go off!

On my wagon I found my right CV shaft is worn out, joints are clicking and has some rotational play in it now... Project for this weekend.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Got some things taken care of on the white car. New rotors all around, new pads all around, new driver side hub with wheel bearing, new front strut top bushings, new control arm bushings, front driver side axle is new, but i think there's a weird wobble in there now.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I had Safelite install new windshield yesterday- just over $240 coming to my house, that's with a $30 promo code. I went online Wednesday night, and I was surprised they had a morning or afternoon appointment available Friday morning. The installer was very thorough, he ground the one spot of rust down on the passenger side and treated it. I'm debating on whether to replace the back window, only 2 defroster lines work, and it was tinted. I see that VW clearance site has some rear windows on clearance for $69, need to check to see if it's got defroster in it....
I need to do the same - the original, 309k mile windshield in my 03 is horribly pitted. i'm putting it up for sale soon and it's one of the remaining items it needs. Plus - it impacts what days I drive it. Sun glare is very dangerous in NYC commuter traffic!

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Last week, I got a call from wife panicking a bit because the Jetta suddenly lost power and the glow plug light started flashing. Since I was home with a broken leg, I was dreading finding out what could be wrong. Since I can still drive an automatic, I drove our other car to get her and get the Jetta checked with vagcom. After she explained what the car was doing, which was not accelerating at all, I looked up some posts (here of course) and got an idea of what it could be. So once I arrived at where she was stranded, I checked the codes and got what you see in the pic. So of course, I had to get it towed to my house. The next morning, I checked with autozone to see if they could order the TPS and pedal assembly. To my surprise they could but it was a whopping $555!!! So I looked at idParts and called them up. At half that price I had to get it. It arrived yesterday and even though I got a broken leg, I was able to get myself out in the car and install it. Super easy: 3 bolts and the connector. Hardest part for the contortions I had to do with a broken leg to get to the bolts. Other than that, it was a breeze. 20 mins tops. Now the car is driveable and back on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yesterday, installed left front fender liner (right was done a couple of weeks ago by Matt in San Anselmo).

Planned for today is install the new lower plate that attaches to the bumper cover valence and the fender liners.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
So, I think there's some axle binding with that new axle. I had the car loaded up with stuff and it was making a lot more noise. After unloading the stuff, it was a bit less, but taking right turns makes it shake and wobble like a loose front wheel of a shopping car. What the hell causes that, guys?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yesterday, installed left front fender liner (right was done a couple of weeks ago by Matt in San Anselmo).

Planned for today is install the new lower plate that attaches to the bumper cover valence and the fender liners.

Ran into interference with my Panzer Plate, so I have to do some trimming on the new part.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
So, I think there's some axle binding with that new axle. I had the car loaded up with stuff and it was making a lot more noise. After unloading the stuff, it was a bit less, but taking right turns makes it shake and wobble like a loose front wheel of a shopping car. What the hell causes that, guys?
Did you torque the big axle nut correctly when you installed the axle?

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
it wasn't today but within that past month i upgraded the nozzles on my 02. It definitly gained some power. Not a lot, but it doesn't die off like it did with stock nozzles at 3500k. I'm hoping to get a kerma tune soon to get it dialed in.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
it wasn't today but within that past month i upgraded the nozzles on my 02. It definitly gained some power. Not a lot, but it doesn't die off like it did with stock nozzles at 3500k. I'm hoping to get a kerma tune soon to get it dialed in.
Isn't 3500k 3.5 million?:eek:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
*insert badum-tss here* you guys... Haha.

Washed my car today for the first time in a while.