EDC15 (ALH) in MK5/B6?

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf R32
I've been thinking about this more and more, I'm just trying to figure out if this would be possible. Would a MK5 Golf or Jetta or a B6 Passat be able to use a EDC15 out of a MK4? I know the motor would physically bolt into the car, I would just like to know if it would be possible for the car to run with the older ECU in it.

Not looking to hear about legalities of a swap like this, just wondering if it's possible since the price of these cars seems to be dropping a significant amount in the last few years.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I've been thinking about this more and more, I'm just trying to figure out if this would be possible. Would a MK5 Golf or Jetta or a B6 Passat be able to use a EDC15 out of a MK4? I know the motor would physically bolt into the car, I would just like to know if it would be possible for the car to run with the older ECU in it.
Not looking to hear about legalities of a swap like this, just wondering if it's possible since the price of these cars seems to be dropping a significant amount in the last few years.
Most true MK5 electrical systems are very dependent on CAN bus. Most EDC15 ECUs have dedicated wiring for things like VSS which the MK5 cars do over CAN. That being said... if you didn't care about check engine lights and just wanted it to run and run well and not necessary play well with the HVAC / TCU / AirBags etc... then yes you could make it run quite well as it would be simple to satisfy the needs of the engine alone.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
Would the HVAC and Airbags really need to talk to the ECU? The VSS for the ecu is mostly for cruise control, although there is a IQ limit based on speed, but it's not used in the stock tune. Maybe a PD swap with a EDC16 would be a better option.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
OK, that was the sort of answer I was looking for.

So how hard would it be to swap a EDC16 (PD)into a B6 Passat?
EDC 16 can be done with BRM engine form MK5.
So 2005.5 and 2006 only. and this is the best option as harness will be almost plug and play.
I was thinking to do this my self , but no time for me to this kind of job, To much stuff in shop and Cluster/ECU and keys job.

Pre PD 2004-2006 K-line not going to work same as EDC 15.

Dorkage

Veteran Member
TDI
I was just looking at some wiring diagrams and the EDC15s in the MK4 have CAN hi/low pins, would those not work with the newer cars? I'm just a bit confused because the BEW had a EDC16 in the MK4.

I heard of people getting the NA PDs to run off of the EDC15s, but I don't know if they were NA EDC15s or euro EDC15s.

Basically I'd much rather run a VE TDI in one of these cars.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I was just looking at some wiring diagrams and the EDC15s in the MK4 have CAN hi/low pins, would those not work with the newer cars? I'm just a bit confused because the BEW had a EDC16 in the MK4.

I heard of people getting the NA PDs to run off of the EDC15s, but I don't know if they were NA EDC15s or euro EDC15s.

it may have more to do with the difference in CAN communication rates between the different edc versions rather than the presence of twisted pairs

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006

No it will not.
BEW EDC 16 has same diagnostic communication protocol as EDC 15 . That why was install in MK4 models, MK5 had BRM .
The thing is MK5 and MK4 has CAN H/L and Kline. But is it different communication protocol .

Same thing with MK5 and MK6 , they both works on CAN Bus but if you put MK6 cluster in MK5 car it will not communicate before you update Cangate way module.

You can do this but you have to have EDC 15 P, which was install in Euro PD engine made 2000-2006. In Europe they had PD engines way before we got it in NA.