SportWagen soundproofing

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
I am considering adding soundproofing/ sound damping material to my doors and possibly the trunk/floor. Researching sound damping products here and on vortex, there are enough posts about the benefits and positive changes with adding the materials against bare metal.

Has anyone who added sound insulation been immensely pleased with the results in their sportwagen or golf? I have to open the door panels soon, but I am not sure if disassembling the trunk trim etc to apply the material is worth all of the effort. Any recommendations appreciated.

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (Gone But not Forgotten), 2013 Tiguan SE 4 Motion
In for this as well, been wanting to line from under the rear seat back this winter and, this spring when I swap out my center console for a JSW one with the inverter and euro cup holder I am going to line under the carpet.. And anyone with the golfs have issues with moisture and the material in the doors since the Golfs doors are designed to hold water till you open them...

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I am considering adding soundproofing/ sound damping material to my doors and possibly the trunk/floor. Researching sound damping products here and on vortex, there are enough posts about the benefits and positive changes with adding the materials against bare metal.

Has anyone who added sound insulation been immensely pleased with the results in their sportwagen or golf? I have to open the door panels soon, but I am not sure if disassembling the trunk trim etc to apply the material is worth all of the effort. Any recommendations appreciated.
road noise and Jetta, I had an 06, 10 and now 13, go hand in hand, my 13 sport wagon I pulled the seats and carpet, put down 1/4 inch of noise deadener with foil on top, plan on spraying bed liner in wheel wells and then tackle the spare tire area, I'm hoping that will lower the noise so on long trips I won't have to wear ear plugs.

CA2NCTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG 2014 Sportwagon TDI DSG Pano/NAV
I doubt all the Dynamat in the world would work on my JSW unless I put it on my sunroof too..

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I plan on doing this as well. Starting with the obvious and do the wheels wells first and at some point move into the cabin.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
awesome. i am collecting the best guides/threads and will post soon.

I'm not sure whether to go with dynamat, raammat, fatmat, hushmat....

I will call Crutchfield and a few other audio shops for more info. Perhaps there may be a way to do a group buy. PM me if you're interested.

I will post more details here once I have them.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
understood, thx racer.

i'm planning on getting a malone tune, so what I add in weight will hopefully be offset by sound damping. when i am on the road and have to take a phone call, the last thing I want to do is touch my phone or fumble with the headphones.

I have wondered if the vw microphone can be swapped in for a better one.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Research Links & Good Install Guide Threads
I have been reading these threads and saving some info that I thought I would share. Dynamat seems to be great stuff, but expensive. Most people prefer Raammat because it seems to be just as good, but cheaper. Hushmat seems to be getting great reviews as well, but again is expensive.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI Rear Door Panel and Speaker Install
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396420

Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI speaker upgrade
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6857951-Volkswagen-Jetta-Sportwagen-TDI-speaker-upgrade

DIY-Speaker Replacement, and Dynamat Install
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5601625-DIY-Speaker-Replacement-and-

Stereo Upgrade Worth it!!!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=287338

Raammat
I spoke to Jason at RaamAudio.com tonight. He advised two (2) packages of #2 to do the doors, trunk, and floors of a JSW. I would imagine that Golfs could be done with one (1) package #1 and one (1) package #2.

Install Guide:
http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%2dTo.html

Discount Codes:
They don't offer group buys, but do have discount codes that can be used as many times as you wish.

For 10% off Package #1
enter "raampack1"

For 15% off Package #2
enter "raampack2"

http://www.raamaudio.com/package-2-...56-25-sq-ft-and-4-1-2-yards-of-ensolite-foam/

more to come...

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Quietness is key for me. I've looked at A LOT of specs on edmunds.com, and few cars are quieter than our JSW's. ~60db at 70mph, depending on the road surface. (if you have a smartphone, get the decibel meter app 'TooLoud.')

Yet a lot of reviews on the JSW include comments like, "the engine is remarkably quiet, but wind noise is prevalent." Or substitute 'road noise.'

Why? Actually, even though the mirrors aren't great (the Mk6's got quieter mirrors and got windshields with an extra lamination of plastic for sound deadening), it's the fact that the car is quieter overall that simply makes you notice wind and/or road noise more.

So my point is -- you may throw some deadening material in there, and it will quiet things down some, but you may just end up noticing other noises MORE.

For me, it wouldn't be worth the cost of the dynamat, or the damage that results from pulling trim off and breaking clips in the process. (I used to design door trim for a living, and even so, I can't remove VW door panels without breaking a clip or 2.)

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Frugality. Sounds like your work is really interesting, is there anything more we can see of your work online?

I agree that the engine noise is quiet, I just want to reduce as much extra noise as possible. I have removed the door panels before and it is indeed tricky, but if you take your time and pry gently it can be done without breaking clips. Bold-Sport sells some replacement clips for a few bucks. Since I have to open the panels anyway to fix the door warning lights, I may as well do it. But your point is well taken.

TooLoud
Looks like the freeware version hasn't been updated for iOS7m, but the $.99 one has. I'm going to compare both. Here's are links for your iOS folk:

Freeware: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tooloud/id393039065?mt=8
Paid: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tooloud-pro/id425137981?mt=8

Rear Speakers
I did my research on Crutchfield.com and their phone advisor recommended these back speakers. I was going to buy elsewhere, but Crutchfield's price on these, $69.99 for two speakers, mounting kits, and cross over cables was much better than Amazon's $81.89 which do not come with cross over cables or mounting kit. I ordered a pair and will likely just replace these and keep the rest of the stock speakers, unless anyone thinks upgrading the tweeters or midrange are worth it.

Polk Audio DXi651s: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI651S/Polk-Audio-DXi651s.html#q-and-a-tab

Last edited:

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
thx Lew - i checked out fatmat and decided to pass. Have you compared to dyna, raam and hush? would love to hear why you prefer them.

here's another well written that guide i forgot to list: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/soundproof-car-diy-to-reduce-noise/

I'm going to try a hybrid approach with the Raammat and Dynamat kits. I ordered two kits each to compare/contrast. I'm planning on doing a layered approach with both to get the optimal coverage. Raammat in less crucial areas and Dynamat closer to the speakers, cords etc. I'll test the sound and then relayer as necessary.

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
understood, thx racer.

i'm planning on getting a malone tune, so what I add in weight will hopefully be offset by sound damping. when i am on the road and have to take a phone call, the last thing I want to do is touch my phone or fumble with the headphones.

I have wondered if the vw microphone can be swapped in for a better one.
It is a little off topic, but still related to the noise issue while using the phone via the built in blue tooth. Plan on doing this here soon to my car. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4006779#post4006779
Won't help the road noise for you, but should help for the people you are talking too.

J

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
If you fully read up on that bluetooth mod you'll find that the majority of people found it does not work. But, it isn't hard to do and doesn't look like it will do any harm either.

...now back on topic...

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
The dynamat and raammat orders came in the other day but we lost power for the last four days so I'm hoping to get to installation by next weekend. One thing I noted was the weight difference between dynamat and raammat. Dynamat will certainly add weight to wherever you put it.
I still plan to put dynamat and dynapad in the doors and raammat in the trunk. One of my speakers is crackling, still trying to figure out which one without putting year to each grille.
I will post pictures once I start the job but taking my time to read other posts and guides to make sure I have everything right before I start. Black11TDI's plan to coat the wheel wells and undercarriage is a good idea.

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
IHas anyone who added sound insulation been immensely pleased with the results in their sportwagen or golf? I have to open the door panels soon, but I am not sure if disassembling the trunk trim etc to apply the material is worth all of the effort. Any recommendations appreciated.
I have, but not in the places you're considering. On my '03 Golf TDI, I put Stinger Electronics' "Roadkill" sound deadening mat on top of the skid plate and on the bottom of the engine cover. Totally removed the "rocks in a coffee can" sound that a cold ALH engine makes on startup. Completely worth it to me.

I don't know if it makes it quieter at speed, but I'm happy. Anything is quieter on the highway than my daily driver, the company's e-150 cargo van.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I have, but not in the places you're considering. On my '03 Golf TDI, I put Stinger Electronics' "Roadkill" sound deadening mat on top of the skid plate and on the bottom of the engine cover. Totally removed the "rocks in a coffee can" sound that a cold ALH engine makes on startup. Completely worth it to me.

I don't know if it makes it quieter at speed, but I'm happy. Anything is quieter on the highway than my daily driver, the company's e-150 cargo van.

You didn't put the butyl deadener under the engine cover, did you? That will be one sticky foul mess

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
Our JSW is pretty quiet, in my opinion. Maybe the wheelwells deadener might help a bit with tire road noise but beyond that, it's a lot of effort and expense for marginal return, I would bet.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Great idea about putting some insulation on the skid plate. I was thinking of plastic dipping it. I've got to go visit Hevster1 to see if he can put my plastic plate back on and my skid plate over it.

I know for some this noise damping pursuit seems a bit much, but my goal is to get the car closer to the db level of a Benz. Not going to happen unless I completely strip the car and started insulating at the frame, but worth the effort IMO to do as much as possible. I'll learn more about the composition of the car, sound dynamics, and time away from doing something less productive :)

Last edited:

Sy5adm1n

TDI
13 Jetta sedan TDI and 13 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I'm interested in what you do. Coming from a super quiet MB E320 CDI the noise level in my JSW is pretty high. Not complaining, love my car, but the noise in the rear could be brought down a bit. Amazing how much quieter the wife's Jetta sedan is compared to my JSW.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Golfs are quieter than Sportwagens in part because Golfs have a fiber-board cargo cover. The roller-cover thing doesn't block much noise. The fiber-board cover helps contain rear wheelwell noise.

One thing I've thought about doing is creating a hard cargo cover. Cut a panel out of MDF or hardboard. Cover the top with a thin layer of foam and then some black fabric. Underneath, mount rods that would go into the 4 notches in the car's rear side panels, and cover the rods with some soft material, or a chair foot bumper or vinyl cap. Then put a generous amount of foam or sound-deadening material on the underside.

Even stock, though, a Sportwagen is one of the quietest vehicles you'll find. 60db at 70mph, depending on road surface and tire choice.

TDI in MT

Veteran Member
TDI
none, sold it.
You didn't put the butyl deadener under the engine cover, did you? That will be one sticky foul mess
I don't know about butyl stuff, but whatever the "Roadkill" sound deading mat is made of, yes it is on the bottom of the engine cover. Has been for a few months now, no problems at all.

Lew

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
awesome. i am collecting the best guides/threads and will post soon.

I'm not sure whether to go with dynamat, raammat, fatmat, hushmat....

I will call Crutchfield and a few other audio shops for more info. Perhaps there may be a way to do a group buy. PM me if you're interested.

I will post more details here once I have them.
I think the 25" roll of Fatmat is cheaper....I used in on my floor pans, roof, and doors on my 72. Fatmat is also under the Hood of my 2011 SW...Tossed the material VW installed. It kept falling down....Poor design on the Sportswagen.....check out http://www.fatmat.com

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm interested in what you do. Coming from a super quiet MB E320 CDI the noise level in my JSW is pretty high. Not complaining, love my car, but the noise in the rear could be brought down a bit. Amazing how much quieter the wife's Jetta sedan is compared to my JSW.
Didn't see your post. I am a User Experience Designer & Programmer. Basically I strive to design websites, apps, kiosks, digital things to be easier and more intuitive. My Retriever is usually in the trunk with the seats folded down. I want to keep it quiet in the back so he's a bit more relaxed. He loves being in the car (a.k.a. anxious), so anything to keep him a bit more relaxed is worth it.

Golfs are quieter than Sportwagens in part because Golfs have a fiber-board cargo cover. The roller-cover thing doesn't block much noise. The fiber-board cover helps contain rear wheelwell noise.

One thing I've thought about doing is creating a hard cargo cover. Cut a panel out of MDF or hardboard. Cover the top with a thin layer of foam and then some black fabric. Underneath, mount rods that would go into the 4 notches in the car's rear side panels, and cover the rods with some soft material, or a chair foot bumper or vinyl cap. Then put a generous amount of foam or sound-deadening material on the underside.

Even stock, though, a Sportwagen is one of the quietest vehicles you'll find. 60db at 70mph, depending on road surface and tire choice.
Good idea! You know I was thinking about the same thing. I've seen a few of the trays in Golfs and even mentioned (if i recall correctly) to ksing44, that I wished the SportWagens had them. I have a small wood shop and this would be super easy to fabricate. Hmmmm.....

I think the 25" roll of Fatmat is cheaper....I used in on my floor pans, roof, and doors on my 72. Fatmat is also under the Hood of my 2011 SW...Tossed the material VW installed. It kept falling down....Poor design on the Sportswagen.....check out http://www.fatmat.com
The weather is finally warming up, lest I type this too soon, and I hope to have full day to start tackling the doors. I'm upgrading the rear speakers, so I plan to take my time and get everything before diving in.

With VW mods, measure three times, cut once. :)

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (Gone But not Forgotten), 2013 Tiguan SE 4 Motion
Are you sure it isn't measure three times, a few more to be sure walk around the car a few times, have a drink, go to the bathroom, measure again then cut once? ;)

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha. Have a drink. Add taking Jimmy Serano's advice: “Sidney, siddown, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some ****in’ thing, will ya?”

At this point I've walked a few miles around my car.

Lew

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportswagen

It happens to be the same thing and Dynamat but cheaper.....

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I installed a 12" sub in my Jetta's trunk. Sound wasn't there plus there was always that hollow sound from the trunk but even more noticeable after I installed the dynamat. Got the Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9 @amazon) for @$140 and lined the whole thing and it sounds awesome. Took the whole box to do it and had a half sheet left over. Very solid sound even with the music off. I'm going to upgrade the door speakers and also line them with the same dynamat. I strongly recommend lining the rears especially since that's where a lot of sound comes from. After doing only the trunk my car is a lot quieter. No more thumps coming from inside the hollow trunk.

ravendarat

TDI
2013 Wolfsburg Golf
I scanned through this thread and am noticing a common deficiency in the plan. DO THE ROOF!!! In my experience (14 years as a mobile electronics installer) the most effective place I have found to sound deaden is the roof. It might not seem like it but you have no idea how much road noise comes through the roof. I promise you won't be disappointed.