www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale

Vendor & GroupBuy items for sale VW TDI/Diesel related items for sale by vendors and Groupbuys. The only commercial posts to these forums are that of Vendors with TDI related equipment. To start a post, you must be a Registered Vendor. You may periodically post a note about products you may have for sale/services so long you indicate clearly you are from the company selling these products/services. The right to discontinue this practice & remove excessive posts remains with the operators of TDIClub. Please note there is also a webpage of TDI Vendors" Group-buys are permited if sponsored by a registered vendor.

Old January 9th, 2016, 18:36   #796
Damo

TDI(s): Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitosays View Post
For what it's worth... I still plan on buying a set once I get the money. I have bought a few aftermarket headlight setups and these still look to be the cleanest.
... The rant still hasn't steered away my future purchase.
Yeah I bought a few retro fits for my Trucks in the past
Not once did they come broke or fall apart upon installation,
But ya If you want to spend countless hours of adjusting calling this fella and having you work on your own New lights than
Ya seem like great kit....................
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 19:44   #797
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
Yeah I bought a few retro fits for my Trucks in the past
Not once did they come broke or fall apart upon installation,
But ya If you want to spend countless hours of adjusting calling this fella and having you work on your own New lights than
Ya seem like great kit....................
Vendor Accountability Thread

EDIT: Comment removed, decided to play nice...

Stella (Mine now): 2005 Shadow Blue Jetta Wagon TDI 09A
Mods: RC1. VCDS HEX-CAN USB (near Toledo, OH)

Last edited by JDSwan87; January 9th, 2016 at 19:46.
JDSwan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 09:57   #798
martin27

Fuel Economy: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakwithracket View Post
Ookpic,

Thanks for posting your experience. You were an early adopter of my lights to be sure, on both the Jetta and the Golf. You have Jetta 2.0 and Golf 1.0 headlights. The changes between those and the current 4.0 versions include different bulbs, ballasts, projectors (with better threads..yours used a wing nut that had problems holding in place), internal wiring, lens sealant, installation methods, and a number of other important changes. The things you described are exactly what promoted us to make changes over the early builds in what is now the 4.0 model. And make no mistake about it, you were NOT a test dummy for 55W ballasts. We started using 55W ballasts in September 2013, and we stopped using them in April of 2015 which was when we moved to our current ballasts. The reason was as you mentioned, their short lifespan. Any electrical operating at a higher capacity will have a shorter lifespan than those operating at lower capacity. A 100W halogen bulb will go out well before a 75W, and that well before a 55W, etc. For the time we used 55W we did so on the premise that increased light output and was worth the decreased lifespan. However, in the end it made sense to switch back to 35W ballasts as customers seemed to value longevity over the increased brightness. Point is, in no way were you a beta tester or anything like that were were just aiming for all out performance back then whereas now we are taking a more balanced approach between performance and longevity.

Of the 6 bullet points you mentioned above all the issues have since been addressed in the newer 3.0 and 4.0 models. The projectors have crisp cutoff lines, the lock nuts are not the old style wing nuts any more and do not rotate out of place (this was only ever an issue with the early Golf lights), the ballasts have been upgraded both in terms of increasing reliability through decreasing wattage and in terms of overall ballast design, the sealant used is butyl sealant rather than silicone, and we no longer use CFL angel eyes (we only ever made a handful of lights with the CFL angel eye).

In no way am I saying that your experience is wrong, just that you have the early versions of both lights and since there have been a lot of changes that have addressed those things. Everything about the lights we offer now are greatly improved. As with any product later versions are going to improve upon earlier ones. And as an indicator of how much we've improved these, we've even quadrupled the warranty on the bulbs and ballasts with the new model and warranty craftsmanship for a full year.
My issues have been similar. I think Jeff has noticed this and has been extending the warranty on his products because of this. I wondered why my headlights had big scratches on them... Jeff is that you or where you get the lights from? I believe Jeff said his lights were TYCs? Which in my experience are supposed to be great oem replacements.
martin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 13:42   #799
freakwithracket

TDI(s): 2003
Fuel Economy: 50.57mpg

We use a variety of assemblies on our headlights and we get them from a single supplier here in the US. In terms of manufacturers TYC, Genera, and a number of brands all come out of the same production lines and get branded accordingly. Our 4.0na model which uses the stock north american headlight design are typically either Genera or Eagle Eyes depending on which are readily available (they normally both are but once in a while one is unavailable while the other is in stock). For the regular 4.0 lights we use a european e-code replica which is not branded but for comparison they are the same lights sold by various other companies in the US such as ECS (Ziza line). For Passat B7 we use TYC or used OE assemblies, buyer's choice. We use TYC on a a number of our other lights for other models such as Kia and GMC lights. We don't touch the lenses on any of the lights. The scratches on the housings (which are on the top of the housing and not on anything visible part while installed) are done because they come with either a sticker or an imprint from the manufacturer that among other things has the supplier's telephone number to call for tech support/customer service. Since we are using these to retrofit we remove that by scratching it off since you'd want to call us, not them, with support questions. For anyone considering a set, it is worth noting that we can use whatever brand assemblies you'd like. The reason we use what we do is because frankly, the other other options are OE/Hella assemblies. A set of US Spec Hella lights with fog lights runs ~$350 for a pair. A set of OE Euro Spec lights runs $450 per pair. Using either of those would drastically raise the cost to well over $500 per set for the basic setup when you further factor in the HID components and the actual HID conversion itself. We've always aimed to fill the market need for an affordable set that gives the best bang for the buck and have opted away from those assemblies due to their costs. But if people want those used I have no objection whatsoever. They are of better quality, but they come with the price tag to match.
HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz

Last edited by freakwithracket; January 10th, 2016 at 15:43.
freakwithracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 17:23   #800
JettaVR6

TDI(s): None...yet

Jeff, first sorry I missed your phone call last night but I have some good news!

The right side now works

On Monday, I was having a Bora European trunk installed but for some reason the license lights weren't lighting up even though they were using the Jetta harness so they did something to make them work which caused my dash to light up like a christmas tree and throw a bunch of DTC codes when scanned with VAG-COM.

So they told me to have this auto electrical shop run a diagnosis. A few hours later it turns out fuse 43 (Engine control elements (10A) was missing so they put in another one. That fixed everything, including the headlights. Very strange.
Old January 12th, 2016, 19:04   #801
JettaVR6

TDI(s): None...yet

On another note, do you have any suggestions to stop the hyperflashing due to the LED turn signal bulbs not getting the 12 volts? I was thinking of using load resistors but I'm hesitant to mess with anything now that everything is working, and this might void the warranty too. I'm not sure if the mk4s use a relay flasher.
Old January 12th, 2016, 19:32   #802
freakwithracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaVR6 View Post
Jeff, first sorry I missed your phone call last night but I have some good news!

The right side now works

On Monday, I was having a Bora European trunk installed but for some reason the license lights weren't lighting up even though they were using the Jetta harness so they did something to make them work which caused my dash to light up like a christmas tree and throw a bunch of DTC codes when scanned with VAG-COM.

So they told me to have this auto electrical shop run a diagnosis. A few hours later it turns out fuse 43 (Engine control elements (10A) was missing so they put in another one. That fixed everything, including the headlights. Very strange.

I'm glad you found what what plaguing you. Not a clue how that particular electrical system plays into anything, but perhaps it was messing with ground connections or something. As far as your turn signal bulbs a load resistor will work just fine. Need not worry about warranty..if I were to do it I would also put in load resistors. If you want to though you could wire in the resistors on the harness instead of in the headlight using some of those quick splice clamps.
HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz

Last edited by freakwithracket; January 12th, 2016 at 19:34.
Old January 13th, 2016, 09:13   #803
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaVR6 View Post
On another note, do you have any suggestions to stop the hyperflashing due to the LED turn signal bulbs not getting the 12 volts? I was thinking of using load resistors but I'm hesitant to mess with anything now that everything is working, and this might void the warranty too. I'm not sure if the mk4s use a relay flasher.
You could put resistors in or since its an MKIV, you can try this. It was done on my wife's wagon, no more fast blink.

Old January 14th, 2016, 10:53   #804
TheHolyCobra

TDI(s): '01 Jetta

Searched through the thread and didn't see it on your site at all.

Do you currently offer MK6 Golf/SportWagen headlight retrofits? Or are there issues with the sealant like with the MK6 Jetta lights you mentioned?

TDI-less...for now
TheHolyCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 20:33   #805
freakwithracket

The sealant on the OE housings is still an issue. I did do one set previously but it was a major pain...took 2 hours to get the lenses off.. They do have TYC assemblies for this model now, which would be workable. However, those assemblies are pricey. A set with everything included with would be about $600+shipping. Not sure where in Ohio you are so perhaps a pickup is possible. I'm game for it if you are. If so shoot me a PM and we can discuss.
HID Headlights
www.midwestlight.biz
Old January 15th, 2016, 18:38   #806
Riflesmith
Veteran Member

I just ordered a second set of Jetta 4.0 lights. I will be in touch via PM. Thanks.
Riflesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 14:08   #807
martin27

Fuel Economy: 48

So I will write a better review for you all next week, but I bought a set from Jeff a while back. I had a lot of issues with them. Everyone gets a bad egg in a batch occasionally. Through the process Jeff has PERSONALLY helped me replace items, adjust them and get them back up and running. And I will say the quality once now completed is fantastic! I can see on the road again! Like any product items get upgraded, and what I see in these new 4.0 lights I wish I had a set, but I am very pleased so far with my set. Thanks Jeff! I'll post images of the install, headlights, and cutoffs next week.
martin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 18:49   #808
Damo

TDI(s): Tdi

Well glad to see i was given a FULL REFUND which took me issuing a pay pal claim and pay pal getting me my money back!!!! even still after issuing the claim Jeff is trying to talk me out of it telling me pay pal does not side with buyers who installed lights on a vehicle and are than found faulty!! So either A) this has happened alot pay pal claims against him for a junk product or B) he rather me drop the claim takes his crap "Partial Refund" and also MINUS THE RESTOCKING FEE....... Just so he does not have to pay me a full refund!! Honestly I have bought sold well over 1000 things over the Internet and have never had such an issue with getting money back over a POORLY built product!! Also never felt to be bribed about a refund either, as I was told if I went threw pay pal and I lost there was no refund awarded, (was getting it one way or another)
I don't understand how people think buying a NEW BUILT PRODUCT is something you need to wrench on 2 minutes after you buy it and have him do multiple phone calls to have him talk over the phone with you to fix issues on lights you just paid money for because of his junk components,

Imo why buy lights new when you need to rebuild them over the phone with this guy
Pay pal sided with me and I'm glad the did not have the wool pulled over their eyes like this guy does to so many
Good luck!!!!!!

Last edited by Damo; January 27th, 2016 at 18:52.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 17:44   #809
JDSwan87
Black Swamp Thing

Quote:
Well glad to see i was given a FULL REFUND which took me issuing a pay pal claim and pay pal getting me my money back!!!! even still after issuing the claim Jeff is trying to talk me out of it telling me pay pal does not side with buyers who installed lights on a vehicle and are than found faulty!! So either A) this has happened alot pay pal claims against him for a junk product or B) he rather me drop the claim takes his crap "Partial Refund" and also MINUS THE RESTOCKING FEE....... Just so he does not have to pay me a full refund!! Honestly I have bought sold well over 1000 things over the Internet and have never had such an issue with getting money back over a POORLY built product!! Also never felt to be bribed about a refund either, as I was told if I went threw pay pal and I lost there was no refund awarded, (was getting it one way or another)
I don't understand how people think buying a NEW BUILT PRODUCT is something you need to wrench on 2 minutes after you buy it and have him do multiple phone calls to have him talk over the phone with you to fix issues on lights you just paid money for because of his junk components,

Imo why buy lights new when you need to rebuild them over the phone with this guy
Pay pal sided with me and I'm glad the did not have the wool pulled over their eyes like this guy does to so many
Good luck!!!!!!
Ok, did you send back these "junk" lights to Jeff?

Old February 16th, 2016, 21:45   #810
turbovan+tdi
Veteran Member

Quote:

Good luck!!!!!!
So what exactly was wrong? Not saying things don't happen but far too many happy posts here.
2003 JSW 1.8T, silver-parting out. 2006 JSW, TDI 5 speed, blue.
turbovan+tdi is offline   Reply With Quote