The essence of driving a TDI in picture form...

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Hey Y'all,

I wanted to ask a favor. I am having my website redesigned and I had the idea of putting up pictures on my header bar to illustrate what it means to own or drive a TDI. So what I want to ask is for y'all to post a pic showing your version of what TDI ownership means to you. The picture can be a road trip pic in the Utah desert or a pic of getting your hands greasy during a timing belt install. It can be anything really but it's the common thread kinda pics that I am looking for; the ones that other TDI drivers can identify with.

I'd like to keep submissions to one or two pics per post if possible. Also, if I decide to use your picture I will ask for your permission to use it via email.

I think this could be an interesting thread!

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
a picture of the guages (speedo, tach, temp, fuel) when your driving down the highway (caution) so that the viewer can see the engine is running and it's got like 750 miles/1200km on the tank when the needle is at empty!!!!!

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Vacation:

Cleaned up:

Family - Hard to explain, and I know it is just a car, but. We bought this car when we were engaged because we wanted the most economical car we could buy for long term. Years later, it has taken my first child home from the hospital and it is going to bring the second one home in September. We have taken countless trips to northern Michigan for vacation and it's 1K from 100K miles. It's part of our family!

Jason

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
As much as I love these cars and would love to see one of those instrument cluster shots of a B4 Variant with well over a thousand miles on a tank, I'm afraid that the first archetypical image that comes to my mind is that of a clogged intake manifold... :(

Yuri.

4Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Not so big anymore....huh oil?

Prehistoric fuel is for fossils.

The essence of driving a TDI is passing gassers and gas stations.....
with a $hit eating grin.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf

I've got bigger pictures available if you like either one. The top one is driving home with the Illinois winter sun setting behind me, taken 2007Feb14. The second was taken just over a year ago, 2006Jun09 - the trip odometer and fuel gauge correlate pretty well, especially for a car with only 8k on it!

Last edited:

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
runonbeer said:
I burned several holes in my favorite pants and had to sit in the sink in my underwear for 10 min before the purple spots on my legs went away
You post a pic of that and I'd bet we have a winner!!!!:D

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Not taken in a TDI, unfortunately...

Yes, this was taken while driving my Volvo 850 (traded in on the Golf!) and is perhaps my favorite picture ever taken from the driver's seat.

:D

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
Well, here's a picture of my 03 Jetta TDI. I don't think that the car saved my wife's life, but I do know that it saved her from definite injury. As you can see, the side impact airbags did their job.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf

Flytofish

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet, but soon!
MCathcart said:
That was a Darn Nice Tdi Mr. Flytofish!

(I haven't seen it on the Insurance site auctions.)

Mike
It certainly was... Oh well, got a much nicer Golf now, thanks to another TDIclub member. Just thanking God that the wife wasn't hurt. I'll try to get another nicer picture here soon, something that exudes the VW TDI aura.

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
driving from CA to LA spur-of-the moment to help out a fellow tdiclub-er's family after Katrina hit.

http://roten.smugmug.com/gallery/3696498

load up, get in, drive sleep drive sleep drive 4400 miles in 4 days, including one overnight stay in Houston on the way there. I'll remember those 4 days for a lifetime.

silverdiesel

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver
Hey, great idea! I am a professional photographer and my TDI has always been my most patient subject. Here are a few of my favorites...

The last one is why I bought the car.. She loves BioDiesel!

and then there is another of the unfortunate few weeks when we had to run on the full size spare. I thought it looked kinda cool with the black wheel. It is a good look with the silver paint.

Also, a lot of pics with my boat(s) on top. I just think its funny because my boat is almost as big as my car.

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Flytofish said:
Well, here's a picture of my 03 Jetta TDI. I don't think that the car saved my wife's life, but I do know that it saved her from definite injury. As you can see, the side impact airbags did their job.
__. Fly, I'm glad that your wife is OK, but if she'd been hit by a drunk driver running 110 MPH from the cops, her car had rolled side-to-side and end to end, and slid down the ditch 60+ feet on it's roof, she still could have walked away. And I'm convinced that the side airbag went a long way towards saving my arm if not my life completely (the side mirror tried to come in through the driver's window) - along with the seat belts; I had bruises you couldn't cover with the palm of your hand but I didn't come out of that seat.

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
I vote for scurvy's second picture. Half of loving these cars is working on them youself. It's also about the TDI community. Everyone here is helpful and open to new ideas/suggestions. We help each other out, whether it's a formal GTG or one person helping out another in his garage.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
I like that Polo and can easily visualize a few mods I'd like to do to one.