wait to start light wiring? getting remote start

realfastbug

I don't have a manual for my 2004 tdi passat wagon yet but do have one covering 2001 and 2002 tdi jetta's. Does anyone know if there is still a wire going to the instument panel to turn on the wait to start light? It appears there was in the 2002 jettas. The place installing my remote start wants to put in the delay relay saying there isn't a wire and of course want to charge me yet another $50 to do so. This dang remote start is getting expensive with the immobilizer bypasses and of course more install $$$ for that too, grr. My wife will like it though. Thanks for the help. BTW I found the wiring for the 99-02 jettas & golfs on page 90-5 of the bently manual.

Ryan

icnick

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Gray
Why are you getting a remote start for your Passat? These cars don't warm up at idle. In fact, they lose heat at idle. It's generally accepted that you should start the car and immediately drive it away to get it up to operating temp as soon as possible.

schipperke

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Grey
I put a remote start in my wife's chevy pickup. I would advise against it in any car with the type of security system that the Chevy has, not sure how VW's works. If the "work around" the security goes out of whack, the car will not start period. Has happened a few times in the truck. As also posted, idling the TDI from a start will not warm it up well and probably not a great thing to do in a Diesel or gasoline engine.

(edit)> I will admit remote starting is very cool. My wife always scolds me when we are in parking lots and I wait for a group of people to pass next to the truck, and I hit the start button. The range of the starter is excellent, and no one can tell who or what started the truck!