TDI car prices

CaJones

BANNED
Any input from the TDI guru's now that diesel is $.40 under $3.00 a gallon on how this will affect the TDI market?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I'm not a gooroo, but my guess:

Given the drop in fuel prices, I would guess that the TDI market will soften through the winter a bit. People are going to be more content with their gassers at the current $2.25/gallon (and we'll see how much more it drops.) Fuel supplies are rumored to be high, so that should keep prices down. I would have to bet that we'll see $3/gal fuel again next summer, though.

There are still no new TDI's available. This will keep supply down, even through the re-introduction of the common rail TDI's for the '08 model year. New ones will be scooped up quick initially, and likely for MSRP. Maybe even 'market adjusted'. But there will still be many people who don't want to buy new, or can't afford to buy new, and the demand for scarce used TDI's will keep prices up for the first year or two into the TDI re-introduction.

Personally, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea for me to pre-order a new TDI Golf. That way, I can sell my used Golf in a higher-priced market, before VW is able to meet the demand with more product and prices come back down.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
CaJones said:
Any input from the TDI guru's now that diesel is $.40 under $3.00 a gallon on how this will affect the TDI market?
I'm no guru, nor even a pundit, but...

Last year, after gas prices ran up and then back down after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, demand for TDIs softened. Even into January and February, lots of used TDIs were being offered here and it took longer for them to sell.

Then gas prices rose in the spring, as refineries caught up on postponed maintenance and switched over to summer formulated gas, and suddenly the prospective TDI buyers were desperate. People were forced to buy sub-prime cars because everything else was sold in a few hours after they were posted for sale.

I wouldn't expect the next six months to turn out exactly like the same period last year. But there is a definite seasonal pattern with fuel prices, so it would not surprise me if prices for used TDIs are soft until the spring.

I think this is a good time to be a buyer, because you can take your time and find the best car for the best price. Just don't wait until next spring.