Engine grounds

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Where can I find the engine grounding straps/cables? I noticed I have some resistance between the battery and the engine and would like to check/clean or replace the ground.
I'm good battery to body but some resistance from battery to engine. I can seem to located where the engine grounds are.

Thanks,
Earl

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Down by the S-shaped charge air hose coming out of the turbo. Easily seen from underneath, once the splash shield is removed, although to get at the engine side you may have to remove said charge air hose. Body side is easily seen.

mopar_earl

TDI
2005 Passat GLS B5.5
Down by the S-shaped charge air hose coming out of the turbo. Easily seen from underneath, once the splash shield is removed, although to get at the engine side you may have to remove said charge air hose. Body side is easily seen.
Thanks I will look for it there. I was looking from the top. From the looks of it, they grounded the battery to the body and than must come off the body to the engine?
I'm not use to it being done that way. American cars ground the engine directly to the battery than the engine to the body with a body ground at the battery. Anyways just tracking down my 3 ohms of resistance between battery and the engine. It's not a lot but there shouldn't be any resistance. 3 ohms on the glow plug grounds probably isn't good nor anything else that uses engine grounding. I may just make a ground cable up and run it from the battery to the engine instead of monkeying with the factory ground.

Thanks,
Earl

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some Volkswagens do have the ground cable that makes a stop at the body, then continues on to the engine, but the B5 Passat does not.

I cannot say I have ever run into an engine ground problem on one, though, and I've certainly been around plenty of them for several decades.

It is possible, though, that if someone was working on or around that ground cable I spoke of and left it loose for some reason it could be a problem.

When I do the balance shaft, I usually move that ground to the other side of the big positive wire going to the starter because it can chafe on that charge air hose and wear a hole in it.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
3 ohms is a lot when dealing with a 12v system. While you are at the engine ground, reposition it away from the turbo charge hose. Clean both surfaces, use a star cut washer, and apply no-alox.