Recall issues glow plugs and heated seats

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Had my passenger side heated seat get melty I went to the dealer to check history and they showed no such recall for this. They also showed an open 28f6 recall "a-Serv_act - glow plugs and update ecm software" my question is am I screwed out of this because the PO told me this ecu has an "in motion" tune.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Replace your own glow plugs and yank the ECU yourself and send it to your tuner so they can reflash it to properly work with the new glow plugs

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Replace your own glow plugs and yank the ECU yourself and send it to your tuner so they can reflash it to properly work with the new glow plugs
That's not how the glow plug recall works. The dealer will reflash it when they install the new GPs. What he needs to do is figure out if the tuner can then reflash it again with a tune.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
well the flash and gp's is about a 150 value and who knows whether the car really has a tune anyway. Perhaps having easy starts this time of year outweighs a mystery tune if it even exists.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
That's not how the glow plug recall works. The dealer will reflash it when they install the new GPs. What he needs to do is figure out if the tuner can then reflash it again with a tune.
I have an RC2 tune and I didn't want the dealer mucking with the ECU making a retune necessary. The new "hybrid" GPs are ~$10 ea., so I just drove up to Jeff's, we did the swap and he made the voltage adjustment in the ECU. He charged me $25, making the total $65 and that's a lot less than a retune, making the "free" recall no deal at all.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
well the flash and gp's is about a 150 value and who knows whether the car really has a tune anyway. Perhaps having easy starts this time of year outweighs a mystery tune if it even exists.
At $65 I got a better deal than I thought. :D If the OP has access to VCDS, he can check the ECM data to see if the tuner marked it in any way. Jeff adds "RC xxxx" to the "Component" ID and other tuners might do something similar.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
You need to check with the tuner. You may already have the newest glow plugs and flash. It all depends on when the tune was put in and whether or not a glow plug update was done at that time.

That brings up a question: If you still have the original plugs, can you get the new plugs and update free? The steel plugs were on a service campaign that expired, but the original ceramic plugs should still be under recall.

If the dealer does the update, they will overwrite the existing tune, but they will not refuse to do it.