PNW Accommodations & church

NeXTstep guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
It looks like I'll be spending the night in the Portland/Milwaukie, Oregon area. Waking up at 6AM, driving 5-6 hours to the GTG and then driving another 5-6 hours will probably tucker me out! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Does anyone have a couch I can crash on for the night? Or, does anyone have any cheap flea-bag hotels to recommend?

More importantly, is there a nice local church I can attend on Sunday before I do the 5-6 drive drive back to rainy Vancouver, BC?
RWW

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
[ QUOTE ]
NeXTstep guy said:
It looks like I'll be spending the night in the Portland/Milwaukie, Oregon area. Waking up at 6AM, driving 5-6 hours to the GTG and then driving another 5-6 hours will probably tucker me out! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure about the Church RWW, but just checking to make sure you know we are meeting at the border at 5:45am. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Can't say much about churches.. maybe if you mentioned the flavor/denomination you prefer?

McLaughlin Blvd/99E is pretty well populated with low-rent motels. That's the main drag through Milwaukie and on south. If you want something less crappy try heading out Ore 224 into the Clackamas area, there are a number of newer hotels out there, and you'll be near the Clackamas Town Center mall. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NeXTstep guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
[ QUOTE ]
tadc said:
Can't say much about churches.. maybe if you mentioned the flavor/denomination you prefer?

McLaughlin Blvd/99E is pretty well populated with low-rent motels. That's the main drag through Milwaukie and on south. If you want something less crappy try heading out Ore 224 into the Clackamas area, there are a number of newer hotels out there, and you'll be near the Clackamas Town Center mall. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In terms of a church, something Protestant is fine. It will give me a chance to experience the diversity of the body of Christ. (I would be a bit freaked out if I went to a church that handled snakes and drank poison, though... /images/graemlins/blush.gif I get the feeling those churches are a bit off the beaten track...)
RWW

Beaver_TDI

TDI
96 Passat TDI / 01 Jetta TDI (RIP)
I might suggest Milwaukie First Baptist Church (www.mfbc.org). I have not attended this church, however, their pastor used to be senior pastor of a church in Springfield, OR that I attended while living there. He is an excellent preacher and actually performed my marriage cerimony. I personally attend Village Baptist Church (www.vbconline.org) in Beaverton (West Side) which is another great church if you don't mind driving about 15min from Portland. My wife and I attend the contemporary service at 11:30 which might be a little to late for you if you are driving back to Vancouver, BC.

As far as accomodations, have you tried www.hotwire.com or www.priceline.com. I have got some excellent deals using Hotwire.

Best Regards,

Josh

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta
Hey Robert(NeXTstep guy), If you have any problems finding a place to crash I have a spare bed/couch you could crash on. We'll talk more at the GTG /images/graemlins/grin.gif. Later!

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I don't know about church but, I'll be bringing my bible... Bentley. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif