When do we get a new TDI? 2013?

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
My quest for a replacement to my ALHs has been dimmed with the current Common Rail. When will we get a refreshed TDI? And when will the JSW get a refresh?

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
My quest for a replacement to my ALHs has been dimmed with the current Common Rail. When will we get a refreshed TDI? And when will the JSW get a refresh?
While I can certainly understand why spending 5 minutes on this site would give one some trepidation................overall the CR is a good engine (from the consumer end). Fast, smooth, quiet, and fuel efficient. Better than the one that was in my B5.5 that's for sure :D

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
While I can certainly understand why spending 5 minutes on this site would give one some trepidation................overall the CR is a good engine (from the consumer end). Fast, smooth, quiet, and fuel efficient. Better than the one that was in my B5.5 that's for sure :D
Amen brother....Amen....I am SO FRIGGIN sick of comments about what a lousy generation the CR is....you know what....my ALH was a DOG !!!!!(yeah durable but 90hp??? cmon guys...) wooooof woooof.....My CR is a ROCK STAR.....flies and it is the most fun car (more rigid, better built, better suspension, better handler, better features....just BETTER... in day to day I have ever owned....and the first guy that starts an HPFP thread outta this is gonna get flamed....by ME>...lol....

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Here-Here! Love our A3-Much more fun than my 03 golf. Gonna buy out the lease on the A3 when its time to do so. Not gonna worry about what may or may not happen.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
New Golf in 2013, but it may not get here until a year later. Don't know when they're going to refresh the Sportwagen. And the Jetta sedan is only two years old so I think we're going to see that for a while.

And sorry, but my modified ALH is much more fun to drive than my stock '12 Golf. True, it's not as refined, but it's way faster and gets better fuel economy, even modified. Maybe chipping the Golf will level the playing field a bit.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
New Golf in 2013, but it may not get here until a year later. Don't know when they're going to refresh the Sportwagen. And the Jetta sedan is only two years old so I think we're going to see that for a while.

And sorry, but my modified ALH is much more fun to drive than my stock '12 Golf. True, it's not as refined, but it's way faster and gets better fuel economy, even modified. Maybe chipping the Golf will level the playing field a bit.
just do a malone or revo on your 12 then give us an honest comparison assessment....My new Camaro SS will do the 1/4 in 13 seconds stock....some guys with 68's can do it faster....so what? I would not want a 68 bucket of bolts car anyways....Time marches on...this is the new world and this is (the CR) what we have as a powertrain and overall it is an unbelievably good one and CLEAN.....never smell smoke.....tailpipe as clean as when it was new after nearly 30,000kms....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I will get a tune, maybe as soon as next month. It'll be a Rocketchip, however. Jeff says he gets 30 HP and 50 ft./lbs. My wagon is 170/290, but at the wheels. They may be pretty close.

I like the Golf, don't get me wrong. But it does drive differently than the heavily fueled, torquey, and admittedly dirty, rotary pump cars. I'm happy to have both.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
overall the CR is a good engine (from the consumer end). Fast, smooth, quiet, and fuel efficient. Better than the one that was in my B5.5 that's for sure :D[/QUOTE]

So true. I'm actually impressed with the CR as time goes on (118,000), as for durability, the jury is still out. We'll see if it can match the ALH in my NB, 358,000 and still going strong. I had a B5.5, which had some pep, and could smoke out a tailgater. :rolleyes: But, I had to drop some serious cash to get it unchained.:eek: The wife still misses her Passat. Her memory starts to fade though, as she drives her Touareg. That's a CR too, but also another story.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
....My new Camaro SS will do the 1/4 in 13 seconds stock....some guys with 68's can do it faster....so what? I would not want a 68 bucket of bolts car anyways....Time marches on...
I really dont know what to say about a comment like this...

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH vs CR or 68 SS vs 2010 SS,,,,good comparison....no? lol......

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
No, just that you would prefer to own a cherry 2010 SS over a cherry 1968 SS! :eek:
you got it! rather have my CR than an ALH and rather have my SS than a 68....call me dumb but happy,

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
overall the CR is a good engine (from the consumer end). Fast, smooth, quiet, and fuel efficient. Better than the one that was in my B5.5 that's for sure :D
So true. I'm actually impressed with the CR as time goes on (118,000), as for durability, the jury is still out. We'll see if it can match the ALH in my NB, 358,000 and still going strong. I had a B5.5, which had some pep, and could smoke out a tailgater. :rolleyes: But, I had to drop some serious cash to get it unchained.:eek: The wife still misses her Passat. Her memory starts to fade though, as she drives her Touareg. That's a CR too, but also another story.[/QUOTE]

118K on a CR....not surprised...these motors will go the LONG run....

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
looks like more and more that fall 13 will launch the new 2014 MarkVII Golf on the the new MQB architecture and maybe even hybrids and new engines....PLEASE VAG bring in the Euro 170HP TDI.....

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I will get a tune, maybe as soon as next month. It'll be a Rocketchip, however. Jeff says he gets 30 HP and 50 ft./lbs. My wagon is 170/290, but at the wheels. They may be pretty close.

I like the Golf, don't get me wrong. But it does drive differently than the heavily fueled, torquey, and admittedly dirty, rotary pump cars. I'm happy to have both.
I'm also looking at getting RC1 for my '10 JSW. Jeff says RC1 adds 30HP and 50 ft-lbs. Stock HP is 140, so RC1 will bring it to 170. I just need to work out the details of getting my ECU to Jeff so he can work his magic.

I sold my dirty rotary pump 02 Golf after getting my JSW in 2010. I'm still happy to have my 05 ATD PD JWagen with its mods. :cool: The JSW also drives differently than the PDs.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why do people blame the engine when the prob is just the fuel pump?

Because nobody has for sure come up with a 100% fix for this fuel pump. And since this fuel pump is intergral with the CR engine, the whole engine gets a bad rap. It is not like you can just take the bad bit off and replace it with one that is perfect, like we did with the BHWs.

There are some other things on these engines that concerns me as well, the turbo for one.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Amen brother....Amen....I am SO FRIGGIN sick of comments about what a lousy generation the CR is....you know what....my ALH was a DOG !!!!!(yeah durable but 90hp??? cmon guys...) wooooof woooof.....My CR is a ROCK STAR.....flies and it is the most fun car (more rigid, better built, better suspension, better handler, better features....just BETTER... in day to day I have ever owned....and the first guy that starts an HPFP thread outta this is gonna get flamed....by ME>...lol....
OK OK, I won't use the H-word! But... when your car refuses to start in relatively mild winter weather... that's a big issue. I've had 1 hard start and two serious power losses that could have caused a serious accident, due to intercooler icing.

So far the last car that left me stranded was a '94 BMW 320i... in 1995. The TDI has come close. I have no mercy for cars that leave me stranded... I can put up with lots of annoyances, but when it's cold, damp, dark, 5:30 pm after a crappy day and I want to get my 98 km commute behind me and get my arse next to my wood stove ASAP, the damned thing had better start.

Overall though I agree, apart from this issue the car is brilliant, handles, extremely well. But VW has to do a better job of supporting customers who experience serious issues.

oilhammer

TDI
Oilhammer, what about the turbo concerns you?
The 2 that I have already had to replace, the 3 that needed replacement but the owner's could not or would not fix them, and the fact that one of our trusted parts vendors recently informed me that he is selling quite a few of them as well.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
the 3 that needed replacement but the owner's could not or would not fix them
Why was the turbo not replaced? From what I have gathered from you is that they are pretty tough to replace too.

oilhammer

TDI
One guy had already had a HPFP failure, traded the car off as it was, took a loss. He'd had enough. Drives a Ford now.

The second went to gripe at the dealer, thinking they were going to get some satisfaction from VOA after the warranty. One sat at the dealer's lot for two months before they finally paid to have it replaced there. VOA gave them a $250 coupon.

The third, I have no idea. He had no money.

Of these 3 that I did NOT fix, 2 were former VW owners... neither had ever had this type of problem with their previous cars.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I wonder if some of these turbo failures are due to driving habits, just like they are on ALHs. We regularly sell turbos to customers who have either driven their TDI gently for too long and carboned the turbo up beyond repair, or have driven with no boost for years with the same result. Perhaps if you short shift and continuously baby a Common Rail the pressure builds in the DPF and causes turbo failure. Different process, same result. And more expensive to repair.

By contrast, look how long the turbos on A3s and B4s last. Simpler, cheaper, and more durable.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
The high EGTs with the common rail's post injection would take care of the sooting of easy drivers.. its this same heat that maybe causing early failure too.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Because nobody has for sure come up with a 100% fix for this fuel pump. And since this fuel pump is intergral with the CR engine, the whole engine gets a bad rap. It is not like you can just take the bad bit off and replace it with one that is perfect, like we did with the BHWs.

There are some other things on these engines that concerns me as well, the turbo for one.
And the icing intercooler (excessive LP-EGR) needs to be replaced with an air-to-water intercooler. Major fail.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
So it is the non-adblue CR's EGR system that is causing the iced up intercooler issues and likely the turbo issues as well.

Oilhammer, do you recall the approx mileage of those 5 CRs that had blown turbos? What is the going rate for a turbo replacement? (I will likely need a DSG replacement before the turbo goes, just curious)

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Oilhammer, do you recall the approx mileage of those 5 CRs that had blown turbos?

One had 104k miles... it was the highest. The rest were in the 60 to 80k mile range. We are only talking 2009 and 2010 cars here, so they won't be very high mileage, still too new.