Wow! $600 for 80,000 mile service?

Wataug11

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Wow, I recently bought a TDI with 72,000 miles. It is now time for the 80,000 mile service, and after calling the dealership, I was told this service would cost approximately $600. I asked just what an oil change would cost and it was $150.

First off, is this accurate?

If so, can I do this service myself? I have done all my past services on my gas vehicles, but had planned on letting the "professionals" do it on this diesel, but at this price, I am now considering doing it myself.

Any recommendations as to whether or not this is a good idea and possibly a good shop manual?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
What year TDI?

I would get in touch with TurbineWhine near Asheville. Watch him do the maint, then you can do your own from here on out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
We do not even know what car you are talking about. Some cars that would be considered cheap.

$150 is high for any TDI oil change save for maybe the T'reg V10.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
What year is the car? It sounds about accurate, and yes, if you're reasonably mechanically inclined the routine maintenance is pretty straight forward. Make sure you use the appropriate oil for your car and buy quality filters.

Just because it's a Diesel it doesn't make it too much harder. The oil changes the same way. Putting in a new air filter is the same as a gasser. The fuel filter should be changed every 20k and can be a PITA, but it's not difficult.

Read through the How To's at the top of the 101 section. If you have an '05 or newer, look in the Mk5/A5 section for the How To's on the newer cars.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I'd start by reading the FAQ's, then spending oh a few days reading all the threads here...

Oil changes are like $50, or less. You do need the proper oil. [I'll let you do the reading up on the 505.01 oil controversy--head over to the Fuels and Lubricants forum for that. But I'd go with the proper 505.01 oil.] Your dealer may have some, but I typically just mail order my oil, oil filters, fuel filters, and the like.

If you just bought the car, I'd change the air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, along with the cabin filter. And do a brake fluid flush. The timing belt and serpentine belt should be good until 100kmiles -- I'd replace a bit on the earlier side, just out of superstition. Like at 98k. I'd also change the tranny fluid at that point, with the VW OEM stuff (but again, go read up on it).

Oil and oil filters should go 10k. Don't bother trying to change every 3k with cheapo oil, let along gasser-rated oil. Fuel filters are supposed to be changed every 20k (but some have gone 100k!). Air filters go at least 40k, if not longer. Cabin filters, should probably just change every year. [Rumor has it, letting them go for a few years may lead to problems with the blower motor running hot, drying out the bearings, and subsequently blowing the resistor pack thermal fuse.]

I can't think of anything else that needs attention in this 80-100kmile span. Well, wheelbearings (when they make noise), struts (some think they are kaput after 40k, many get replaced once or twice within the cars lifetime), and rear brakes (they wear out faster than the fronts, just so you are aware). Maybe changing the ceramic glowplugs out for metal ones (plus the much-desired tune), and keeping an eye on the camshaft wear (which is a big issue on these PD motors--but no sense in replacing it until you have stumbling issues and/or loss of power). Lastly, word is that the BEW motors have a half-way decent DMF clutch, but it's still something that sits at the back of my mind always...

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
supton said:
Oh, and in case you haven't spent enough time here:

NEVER GO TO THE DEALER!!!!
It took until the 7th post in the thread to state that! We must be slacking.

Supton ain't joking. Stay away from the dealership at all costs.

Wataug11

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the great information. Do you have a recommendation for a good online place to order the oil and other materials I will need?

Havokk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Dieselgeeks.com

from timing belt kits to tools/accessoryies
http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories?category=%22Deluxe%22+TDI+Timing+Belt+Kits%3A2004-2005+MK4+Jetta

The simple stuff like filters and oil are easy. The tb job requires tools, a good tb kit from a trusted vendor and the ability to read the walk throughs here on the tdi site. The tb replacement on the mk4's can be a little tricky because of all the stretch bolts that need to be replace and the motor mount that needs to be moved after you get you engine supported. I would recommend if you not up for the tb job to take it to a guru in your area that is on this sits guru list.

Their labor and experties/experience on these types of cars are by far suprior to those of you avg joe smoe garage and especially the stealer ship. Thier prices are much better than any dealership as well.

Anyways bottom line, oil, filters and fluids are something someone can do if they take thier time and read the site threads on how to's as well as asking for help from fellow members.

The tb job requires a little more skill and tools, i.e. Vag-com diagnostic tools, OBD2 cable and some experience with wrenching.

Its not impossible to do it, not at all as long as you take your time, read, get the proper tools and never cut corners by skipping steps like replacing streatch bolts.

This site got me through my first tb replacment on my tdi. It can help you as well.

Welcome to the club :)

P.s. You can put information about your car in to your signature via your profile menu on this site. it will help considerably when asking fellow tdiclub members for advise.

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Engine code. The 1.9L just prior to 2004 was ALH, just prior to that was ALU. The 2004 and 2005 Passat's have BRM.

The pre-04's for North America (NA) were VE motors, with a single injector pump. 2004,5,6 were PD (short for Pumpe Duese) motors, with unit injectors. [They also have a "tandem" pump on the side of the head, and a "lift" pump located in the fuel tank. The VE motors have a lift pump also, but it is built into the injector pump.] Common Rail (CR) motors, dunno, have not kept up with the technology.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Wataug,
Come to the Chapin, SC GTG July 18, 2009 if you get a chance.

You can do quite a bit of the services there, brakes, brake flush, oil change, filters, transmission, etc.

Meet some other TDI'ers.

Any Asheville Get ToGethers are always worth going to.

There are others that may be within your travel time, depending upon where you are in NC. Look in the regional forums.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
If you will change your profile so that you can receive private messages I will be happy to help with all your question about your '04 PD........ In the mean time search is your friend here on the TDI club site.

If your with in a couple hundred miles of Columbia,sc the GTG in Chapin would be a great learning experience for you and it will save you a lot of money with properly maintaining your tdi plus it's a lot of fun and you'll get to meet some of the nicest, most helpful people you could ask for and it's free, free ,free but donations of cookies, moonpies, and/or little debbie's are welcomed

Last edited:

Wataug11

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Yeah, I will definitely be seeing a professional for the TB, but I think I am gonna try to take care of the rest myself

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wataug11 said:
Yeah, I will definitely be seeing a professional for the TB..
Be careful with that word, "professional"... Many of the TDI-Club "Gurus" can better be described as "amateur" - in the best sense of that word... (As well, we've heard of too many botched timing belt jobs by industry "professionals"...)

For some light reading, please go over the timing belt procedure for your car:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/3419/BEW_timing_belt_procedure.pdf
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=160306
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=224304

You may also wish to refine your profile to better indicate your location... NC covers a fairly wide area... there may be an expert just around the corner from you... (or not...)

All the best,

Yuri

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Hi from Raleigh. I'd suggest doing the timing belt at Dan's place, personally, lots of folks who have delt with PDs before all in one spot = win.

I'd love to see what they wanted to replace @ 80k to warrant a $600 bill. In 90k miles the most expensive bill was the $900 or so clutch and flywheel job... the new flywheel was much of that cost.

Brakes and rotors all the way around, perhaps.. not had to do that yet.

Oil changes are give or take $55...

if you're in the triangle you can get MOTUL from Absolute Automotive in Durham or ELF from Apex Tuning in Raleigh.

If, like some, you want to risk it... any walmart/auto parts store carried Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil, but do know that it is not approved by VW for use in your engine and you might cause cam shaft damage or death to innocent kittens in a third world country should you use it in any amount.

Welcome aboard!

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Wataug11 said:
I have done all my past services on my gas vehicles, but had planned on letting the "professionals" do it on this diesel, but at this price, I am now considering doing it myself.

Any recommendations as to whether or not this is a good idea and possibly a good shop manual?
First off TDI users never call a dealership professional TDI mechanics. In fact no one will go to the dealers for any service . TDI gurus.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
2004 to 2006 Golf is still MK IV, still has the BEW.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
I know I've helped with quite a few TB changes at Dan's (alhs bews and brms)
i only wish I had befriended Dan 20,000 miles earlier so i didn't let the dealer stick me with a $900 TB change bill and a refusal to fix the EGR pipe that they broke.

A TB change (with the correct tools) is hours of grunt work and 15 minutes of technical work.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Wataug11 said:
Wow, I recently bought a TDI with 72,000 miles. It is now time for the 80,000 mile service, and after calling the dealership, I was told this service would cost approximately $600. I asked just what an oil change would cost and it was $150.

First off, is this accurate?

If so, can I do this service myself? I have done all my past services on my gas vehicles, but had planned on letting the "professionals" do it on this diesel, but at this price, I am now considering doing it myself.

Mostly good information so far in this thread, and offers to help or directions for help. All excellent, especially the recommendation to attend one of the working GTGs.

Wataug11: if you haven't guessed by now, most of us have a low opinion of dealerships. Once the warranty period is over, there is no reason to go back EXCEPT to pick up parts or fluids that for reasons of convenience you'd rather have right away instead of ordering online.

For a happy TDI ownership experience, try to learn as much as you can about your Jetta. The learning curve is not that steep, and you've come to the right place for information.

T3rrybowman

TDI
2013 Jetta DSG Platinum Gray Metalic 2.0 TDi Premium Auto
I bought my 2013 TDI Prem last August at 71k. Took it into the dealership this morning for the 80k checkup. Quoted $679 for the 80k service w/ DSG. I opted to push the DSG to 90k and walked out at $320. I'll be looking for a VW shop in Central OH to use from now on.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Jon Hamilton is the best, in Marysville. Brett Fairbanks is good also. Neither is especially cheap. I've heard good things about Hatfield VW, no real experience. Avoid Byers and the place in Dunlin.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You shouldn't postpone the DSG service if you plan to keep the car a long time.