Pano Roof

ohwel2

TDI
2013 JSW w/ Pano
Hello,
Complete newbie here one week into my 2013 CPO JSW. After hearing my boss rave about his TDI Passat (which he turned in) I had to give the TDI a try, and the CPO deals are great.
One week in, and I love the car. My only issue (and it is cold in Chicago) is the constant "creaking" from the Pano Roof. Seems to get better on warmer days, but still there.
Any suggestions or input?
Thank you,

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Its well known and common issues for pano roof to make that noise. That is the reason why both JSW, old 2011 and now 2014) are solid roof. I carry expensive equipment on an daily basis. Cannot afford ruining them by the leaks or sun scorching on them to ruin them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Mine creaks too. Turn up the radio or get used to the sound. Like an old house, some character you just have to learn to love.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Mine too. Just came across this.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=341560

Its going to the dealership tues. so I'll add this to the 2yr/unlimited $50 deductible and let them take the liability.

BTW ohwel2 NW Indiana? I grew up in Winona Lake

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would never buy a car with a pano. What a ridiculous thing to do to a cars roof. I guess the 2015 Pano's are even worse than the older ones.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
The pano will creak in the cold. It is what it is. The dealership is not going to be able to fix it. It creaked in my ‘10 JSW and it creaks in my ‘13 JSW I just picked up last week. Consider it the price you pay for all the natural light. It’s worth it to me. I never drive without tunes playing, so it doesn’t bother me.

The noises will go away when spring arrives.

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M, 2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Prem (retired)
My 2014 has the pano roof. It was a little colder this morning (low 40s, cold for Florida anyways), and the pano was creaking a little tiny bit, still rattled less than my 2014 Focus that I had, that had more obnoxious noises. I only noticed it when I turned down the radio, but on the highway I don't even notice it. It goes away when the temps come back up. It's worth it to me because the kids love being able to look up at the sky.

Drive more, worry less.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
How could I confirm no deductible before going in?
Getting the rns 315 covered with an updated vw unit. The sunroof was recalibrated. They wouldnt cover a leaked down a/c system or the clearcoat starting to delaminate in a few spots.

Vw's std. Procedure is to get your signature on an hours labor chaarge incase vw wont CPO 2yr bumper 2 bumper basic coverage your items. The serrvice writer confirmed coverage of the headunit

I havent picked up the car yet but the $50 deductable BEST be the only charge. We'll see

13'SportWagen

TDI
13 Sportwagen
Pano

I bought a '13 JSW with pano and was creaking, brought it in under CPO and had a crack in the sunroof frame. $1,300 fix, only $50 deductible.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought a '13 JSW with pano and was creaking, brought it in under CPO and had a crack in the sunroof frame. $1,300 fix, only $50 deductible.
Where was the cracked area? As it turned out the sunroof reset cured it.

In the a/c diag the dealer vacuum tested, charged and dyded the system. It wasnt covered under the 2 yr. The dealership covered it without much argument after reason of its premature leaking down in 69k miles... This is a 2 yr bumper 2 dumper... Its VWs added plus to sell this car not mine. Remember this warentee is equivalent to a new car bumper 2 bumper.;)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would just much rather buy a car that doesn't break and devastate my bank account. My 2006 has been that. Let's see. Camshaft, Craptastic DMF and replacing the ERG cooler with a permanently repaired cooler.

All thing that I did outside of warranty except for the clutch which I replaced with a SMF at 55K miles because I was just so sick and tired of the horrific engagement of the factory DMF clutch. I just did not want to have another craptastic DMF clutch in the car. The cost didn't run into thousands of dollars like some 2009 through 2014 CR's do for the ridiculous Al Gore inspired emission systems.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
How could I confirm no deductible before going in?
Yup, but understandable $50 detectable. Thing I didnt care for was the signed o.k. for $140 customer pay if anything is not covered by VW. Although 2 items were not covered, the dealer (wisely) covered them. Ha

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Excellent find! I will perform this recalibration on my way home.

I would like to find a YouTube or tutorial on how to lubricate my pano. Ive seen and heard many stories of my VW dealer effing up a simple oil change and ruining engines. I sure don't trust them to work on my car, at all, ever.
Funny you said that. The dealer serviced my CPO before the sale. With only 300 miles on my new-to-me JSW, we noticed light smoke; oil leaking. The oil drain bolt was 4 turns out!

I have in the past wrenched for several (Ford) dealerships and found management makes or breaks the shop. They can be the best shop ever and with a change of management be instant place of horrors. I'm not sure why VW seems to have this bad wrap?

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, so when I was leaving work on Monday, I performed the re-calibration technique on the pano roof. And although all the creaks are not all gone, they are noticeably better! Quieter, less creaking, really nice!

One thing to note is while holding the lever? down, the roof will start performing the function. It startled me the first time so I let it go and it stopped, then I pulled it down again and it continued where it left off. Since I was unsure I performed it correctly, I drove and performed the function at the next 2 stops as well. You must hold the lever and at about 18 - 20 seconds the roof will start moving, but you must keep holding the lever as it won't continue working if you let it go.

Now I just need to figure out how to lubricate the mechanisms. Also, it dawned on me that I had lubricated the seals with tire foam on some of my other moon roof type vehicles. The seals still function but there is no creaking from them. I may try that next to alleviate the remainder of the creaks.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like an occasional recalibration may be a good practice?

scow1

TDI
10 Sportwagen TDI
After the pano reset have any of you had an issue with the knob that you use to do the reset? Currently the only way for me to open the the pano is to either push up on the knob or pull down on it. When i twist it to the open nothing happens with the pano.