Just Bought a 2014 SportWagon

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Hi Guys,

I've had a 2002 Golf TDI (which I am selling) forever but I just bought a 2014 Jetta SportWagon) 6 speed with 40,000 miles.

Since I am new to this car, are there any modifications you recommend that I should do?

Thanks,

Pat

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Welcome to Common Rail TDI world.... we consider them rockets compared to ALH TDI’s.....

Since you got that wagon, I believe you have it as CPO? That would come with 120k miles and 10 years warranty. If you don’t care then get DPF/EGR delete kit with downpipe kit and malone stage 2 tune.... it will wake the beast out of it. My old 2011 had that and wow I wished I did that a long time ago. I plan to do that with my 2014 JSW DSG.

I plan to go CR170 and CP3 pump and malone 3.5 tune soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
My first four upgrades were panzer skid plate, braided brake lines, hotchkiss sway bar and a dashcam

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you! Panzer plate is going to be your best friend...... dash cam too. Why braided brake line? I am residing in Florida.... no rust issue here. Hotchkis sway bar is the way to go. What size did you go for?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I am in the same situation... picked up a "new-to-me" 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition yesterday!

First upgrade was some Weathertech floor liners up front.

Second was to purchase a set of four 205/55R16 94H Continental Winter Contact Si winter tires, to be mounted on used OEM 6.5Jx16ET50 alloy wheels.

Already considering a Malone Stage2 tune, but leaving all of the emissions equipment intact hoping that I can still benefit from the warranty.

Running 17" alloy wheels with a new set 225/45R17 Continental ProContact TX at the moment.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes you can keep your parts intact as long as stage 2 and the tuner can hold your stock file so if you need anything major job dome then flash it back to stock and they wont even know it. So that way your warranty remains.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Yes you can keep your parts intact as long as stage 2 and the tuner can hold your stock file so if you need anything major job dome then flash it back to stock and they wont even know it.

I will be purchasing a FlashZilla v3 and working directly with Malone to purchase the tune. No third-party tuner involved.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you! Panzer plate is going to be your best friend...... dash cam too. Why braided brake line? I am residing in Florida.... no rust issue here. Hotchkis sway bar is the way to go. What size did you go for?

When I did the 40k service I changed the brake fluid and figured it's easy enough to do. I also have a tyrolsport caliper bushing kit I need to install

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
My first four upgrades were panzer skid plate, braided brake lines, hotchkiss sway bar and a dashcam
Which Hotchkiss sway bars did you choose, and what effect have they had on the car's handling?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Yes you can keep your parts intact as long as stage 2 and the tuner can hold your stock file so if you need anything major job dome then flash it back to stock and they wont even know it. So that way your warranty remains.

The flash count still goes up and is detectable.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
Which Hotchkiss sway bars did you choose, and what effect have they had on the car's handling?
I went with the 27mm rear bar. I also got new oem endlinks which were beefier than the original ones. I did notice a reasonable difference

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice choice. What dash cam Did you get? I got rear ended in my old 2011 JSW. I sorely Miss her. She had CP3, EGR/DPF delete with malone stage 2 and she was a serious diesel rocket. DSG ecu went bad shortly after rear ended so i had to let her gl thru buyback the few months later Now I have twin options but added is rear camera and identical same. White with cornsilk interior with crappy bioline 16” they are already bent from former owner. Old tires was on and didn’t feel a thing then placed new tires and vibrates at 40-50 mph...... not again. Soon I will buy 16” steelies and be done with it. (So wish i knew i would get another JSW I would have held the old one and swap parts.) Dang it! :(

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Welcome to Common Rail TDI world.... we consider them rockets compared to ALH TDI’s.....

Since you got that wagon, I believe you have it as CPO? That would come with 120k miles and 10 years warranty. If you don’t care then get DPF/EGR delete kit with downpipe kit and malone stage 2 tune.... it will wake the beast out of it. My old 2011 had that and wow I wished I did that a long time ago. I plan to do that with my 2014 JSW DSG.

I plan to go CR170 and CP3 pump and malone 3.5 tune soon.

Thanks for all of the helpful information. If I wanted a tune for longentivity and to increase MPG's. What tune would you go with?

Pat

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Since you got that wagon, I believe you have it as CPO? That would come with 120k miles and 10 years warranty.

CPO is 2-year unlimited miles bumper-to-bumper. I did not purchase my '13 from a VW dealer and did not get the CPO warranty.

All TDI buybacks come with the 120k mile/10 year warranty, which applies only to specific components.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I got a good deal on my '13, so I decided to put a little $ into some upgrades:

• Legal tint all around (I don't like mismatched tint)
  • Eibach rear sway bar
  • CarPlay head unit (Pioneer MVH-1400NEX)
  • New speakers front and back (Infinity Primus PR6510CS) since the front passenger mid-door speaker is blown
  • Noico sound deadening
  • ECS Tuning hatch pop kit
Tires were nearly shot already so I replaced them with some BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sports (got a good deal at Sam's Club).

I'd like a new set of 17" wheels (maybe Alzor 640 from ECS Turning) and I'd also like to lower it slightly with some new springs. Nothing crazy, just something closer to stock GTI height. Looking at the Eibach Pro-Kit. Local shops want an absurd amount to install them ($600-700) so I will probably try to tackle the job with the help of a local Vortexer.

I would also very much like to invest in a tune (sticking with stock hardware), but likely won't as I fear it would almost certainly negate the 120k/10yr buyback warranty. You know VW will look for any possible reason to deny expensive warranty work on these tens of thousands of cars, and they will certainly be able to tell if you've done a tune (even if you are able to "restore" it to factory state).

Last edited:

POBOX2897

TDI
2014 JSW 6-speed
My first two things I installed were the ID parts winter front and the Flosser Ultra H-7 bulbs for my low beams. Good stuff.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! You guys shared valuable information, thank you to the original poster! :) I now have fully loaded deautokey LED bulbs all over. Inside and outside including DRL’s and high beams. Nobody wants to mess with me LOL

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Wow! You guys shared valuable information, thank you to the original poster! :) I now have fully loaded deautokey LED bulbs all over. Inside and outside including DRL’s and high beams. Nobody wants to mess with me LOL

So I'm assuming you have the deAutoLED low beams as well? If so, did you have any difficulty with installation? I just sent mine back because I could not for the life of me get them to fully click into place (2013 model). The OEM H7 clicks in and out with ease. The LEDs I would twist and twist and get them about 95% of the way there but no further. They would light up but then disconnect with the slightest bump. I was bummed because I really wanted that upgrade. :(

PatrickPresti

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI
Great info. I guess I should leave the car stock till the Emissions Warranty runs out at 126,000 miles or 10.5 years?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
So I'm assuming you have the deAutoLED low beams as well? If so, did you have any difficulty with installation? I just sent mine back because I could not for the life of me get them to fully click into place (2013 model). The OEM H7 clicks in and out with ease. The LEDs I would twist and twist and get them about 95% of the way there but no further. They would light up but then disconnect with the slightest bump. I was bummed because I really wanted that upgrade. :(

There were several designs changes. Is yours the one with vent fins with no fans or the one with fan motor? The older one I have is fan motor designed, no issues installing them. The newest design..... passenger side is little tight but made it in just fine. Drivers side, forget it! Will need to take bumper off and take the headlight out and install it within seconds.

Yea I have low and high beam LED bulbs from them. No failure ever. Only interior LED and brake lights fails from time to time and they send the replacement units after they get my defective bulbs.

Dont give up. VW made it kinda easy to get bumper off. Just take your time and don’t break it. It will take you good 2 hours or less, depending on your skills.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
There were several designs changes. Is yours the one with vent fins with no fans or the one with fan motor? The older one I have is fan motor designed, no issues installing them. The newest design..... passenger side is little tight but made it in just fine. Drivers side, forget it! Will need to take bumper off and take the headlight out and install it within seconds.

I got the version with vent fins/no fans. I did not sign up for removing the entire bumper to install these things. Maybe I'll wait for a potential design tweak. Clearly the dimensions of the H7 housing are not quite on point to twist and click/lock like they should. At least they weren't with the pair I got.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the version with vent fins/no fans. I did not sign up for removing the entire bumper to install these things. Maybe I'll wait for a potential design tweak. Clearly the dimensions of the H7 housing are not quite on point to twist and click/lock like they should. At least they weren't with the pair I got.

Well my JSW isn’t bad.... 2015 Passat is the massive headache! I cussed like theres no tomorrow..... I am thankful I own the JSW.

I gave the Passat to my girlfriend as she had to give up her 2017 Ford Exploder due to carbon monoxide poisoning as ford wont lift a finger about it. So we are done with Ford.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Lots of Malone folks here, but I went with a Kerma tune. The tune was emailed to me, and I kept all the emissions equipment in my car. However, your increased torque is only usable if you pair it with a stronger clutch.

With that said, the first few items I bought when the VW buyback was in full swing were Weathertechs, DieselGeek Short Shifter, MK6 Golf fog lights, and MK5 headrests. For some reason the standard headrests really pushed my head down. I would say my driving position is pretty normal, and that my elbows are 90degrees when my hands are placed at 3 and 9.