TDI into 05 Wrangler

outoforder

TDI
2003 Jetta
Is it possible to convert both the engine and transaxle to the Wrangler? I realize this would make it a front wheel jeep which would be blasphemy to some, but I don't go off road and I'm think by keeping the transaxle the conversion might be easier. I'm new to the world of conversions so don't hesitate to tell me where I'm going wrong.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Anything is possible. But with that being said, I would say no. Converting it to the TJ drivetrain is well documented here and would be the way to do it.

xjjeeper

TDI
99.5 golf, soon to be Tdi Xj
Not worth the hassle especially when there is kits available that bolt the tdi up to the Jeep transmission. Using stock jeep flywheel and clutch to boot!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How about a Patriot or Compass? Those were already offered with a VAG diesel under the hood from the factory. :)

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
IF you keep the transaxle in a conversion...... then where are you going to find a 1:1 axle ratio for the rear??? Cant say I have ever heard of one. Then again you could make it front wheel drive only with cv axles.. Then again just buy a golf and put a lift on it..