About to pick up a reman starter (Remy) at partssource, are there better options?

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
gone: 97 b4v, 01, 00 mk4 now: 06 mk4v
Was sold a gas starter on a Facebook partswap, told it was a TDI starter. Stupid me didn't cross reference the part number.c

Called partssource and they have the remanufactured remy, 2kw manual tranny TDI starter in stock.

Visually the Remy's look good but I have no idea about the performance. It's $230 bucks plus tax. I need the starter asap so I can't wait for anything to come in.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
Find someone with a jobber account at Autocamping. They sell new Bosch units for a fraction of the cost elsewhere. Roseland would be a good place to start, he has an account at Autocamping and is prepared to resell (I have an account, but will not resell parts).

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I was thinking the same - I have a spare ALH starter (still works, but needs a new bushing) if you need a core.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The Part Source starter will be fine.

Tdi Kick

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Sidekick AHU, '05 Passat Variant BHW, '03 Passat Variant BHW 4MO
this was important enough for me to log in :D

Dont waste your time with cheap rebuilds.

My own personal experience with them has been less than stellar, and each time the troubles showed up in the cold of winter, when the car was needed most. This was on my Wife's car. Two friends cars were the same result(cheap rebuilds)and a VW shop with plenty of volume had clued me in, they'll not use anything but Bosch now.

I bought a Bosch and never looked back.:cool:

YMMV and good luck!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
It's all the the bushing. If there is too much play, the starter will fail in really cold temperatures.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
if you want a rebuilt..try Ararat on Midwest in Scarboro..if they do not have one on the shelf, they'll rebuild yours, 1 year warranty and good prices....good honest people.cash N' Carry..

Also there is a guy with a shipping container store front on Rexdale..he buys used cars and strips them..so far I bought 120amp alternator(clutched bully) for 80, heater blower for 25, 2x rear brake calibers 30 each, all in excellent condition...cash and carry forget the core, you can keep it. if you want his contact let me know..

Parts Source and CTC, I stay away from them both, for key components like starter and alternators..not knowledgeable staff...poorly paid and good customer service is not a priority...even for a battery, I go to Costco, no questions asked..return desk know just tells to go pick up another.

I bought a half shaft from CTC for my 04/ the one they gave me looked slightly different 2 much tread...after I installed it, it must've stretched and inner cv joint must have separated, caused the boot to twist and rip, ended getting a replacement from the US for around 50 and no core...

Last edited: