Loan paid off but lower than offer

tx2017

TDI
GOLF
I am thoroughly confused. At the buyback closing I was given a revised offer which was slightly higher than the original accepted offer through claims portal. The offer constituted a higher payment (nearly $300) to me but did not change or reduce the loan payoff amount which was with Volkswagen credit.

The original offer was in December and closing in March so naturally I had made three payments since the original offer.

After closing I got an email showing increased offer.

Now I got a notification from Chase with the amount due to me per the new offer from closing, but my loan with VW credit was paid off 4 days later at the current March payoff amount which was nearly $1400 less.

I called vw credit and they tell me that there is no overpayment and hence no refund check to me. The account is paid and closed.

I called the claims hotline as my account in the claims portal shows completed and any of the reps I speak don't have a clue about increased offer and claim that I drove more than I was supposed to and so offer is reduced. They don't seem to have any access to see what amount was paid to me or the loan.

They just keep repeating what I tell them the payments were and that they don't have a tracking number for the loan payoff, but seem to be clear that I have got what I have been paid and no more payment is due.

Something else the VW credit rep told me is that I was not alone and since start of March this has been happening. Vw credit gets paid less than the offer and account is closed.

It is possible VGOA and VW credit is working together to close the loan accounts to help the customer from having to make additional paymentW and have not processed the loan payment yet.

Has this happened to anyone with a loan from vw credit and how did you resolve it. I would appreciate any guidance.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
You're not the first to report this. Time to get VW class counsel involved since you're getting the runaround: info@vwclasscounsel.com

I'm curious what your email receipt said from buyback. I just looked back at mine, and it gave the full breakdown:

Vehicle: 2015 Passat Sedan 4D SE TDI I4
VIN: 1VWBV7A37FC032489

SELECTED OPTION - BUYBACK. Under the buyback option, Volkswagen of America, Inc. repurchased your vehicle for a total of $29,896.73 as broken down below:
$ 22,425.00 Vehicle Return Amount
$ 7,471.73 Additional Restitution Payment
$ 29,896.73 Total Amount Before Loan PayOff
$ 16,390.60 Total Outstanding Loan Amount on 01/13/2017
$ 16,390.60 Amount VW Will Pay Your Lender (1)
--------------------------------------------------------
$ 13,506.13 Amount VW Paid You

MILEAGE. The vehicle mileage at the time of vehicle return was: 22256 miles.
The "total before" exactly matches what my buyback calculator says: http://tdisettlementprogram.com/vw-tdi-buyback-calculator/

The payoff was about two payments high, and I received the overage (credit union, not VW Credit).

It seems to me that with the VW day-of-buyback receipt in hand, you can easily verify and/or make your case that you were not reimbursed properly.

Last edited:

tx2017

TDI
GOLF
Mine was for a 2012 Golf. I got paid 16312.61 through chase payments. But vw credit only got paid 2760.57.

Here is what transaction receipt email said:

SELECTED OPTION - BUYBACK. Under the buyback option, Volkswagen of America, Inc. repurchased your vehicle for a total of $20,446.73 as broken down below:
$ 14,550.00 Vehicle Return Amount
$ 5,896.73 Additional Restitution Payment
$ 20,446.73 Total Amount Before Loan PayOff
$ 4,134.12 Total Outstanding Loan Amount on 12/30/2016
$ 4,134.12 Amount VW Will Pay Your Lender (1)
--------------------------------------------------------
$ 16,312.61 Amount VW Paid You

MILEAGE. The vehicle mileage at the time of vehicle return was: 79081 miles.

dgturnquist

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
tx2017, I have the same situation with VWOA and VW Credit. I posted this issue in this forum on 3/11 with my information. As of today, you and I are the only posts I've seen that have had this specific problem.

I spent hours on the telephone with the Hotline supervisor. They are supposed to get back with me by tomorrow after looking into it. Based on other's feedback, I doubt I'll hear from them, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. I will post back either way.

In my case, VWOA paid off my loan with VW Credit EXACTLY and did not pay off the amount in my offer that included the overage from several months of payments.

tx2017

TDI
GOLF
When is the cycle date on your loan. Mine is 18th. I am waiting to see what if anything they put on the final statement.

The hotline reps/supervisor don't have the information. They just repeat what you tell them and make up a reason why I should be paid what's on my transaction receipt.

They do know that in their system they don't have a tracking number for the check. One of them told me that the check is not due to go out till the 17th which is a day before my loan cycle date. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It is very aggravating when someone tells you that you are asking for money that is not owed to you and that is tantamount to stealing.

dgturnquist

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
my cycle ended on 3/13, but VW Credit already told me that they received a final payment from VWOA for $1.04 greater than the amount I owed, so one can only surmise that VWOA contacted VW Credit to obtain the payoff before cutting the check to them or they would not have known the final payoff number. The final payoff that was supposed to be sent to VW Credit was shorted by $949.49 of which I am trying to collect now from VWOA.

VW Credit told me not to call them back as they can do nothing more for me, and confirmed that my loan was paid in full.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Did they say anything about giving you back the $1.04, I wouldn't want them to get a single penney extra. I will have at least 2 payments due to me when I turn mine in. It will be my bank that should return that...Mark

dgturnquist

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
Update - per conversation today, VWOA and VW Credit have a new process implemented recently. VWOA only sends the amount owed to pay off the loan to VW Credit. Any overages will be paid directly to the consumer from VWOA via a check at sometime in the future (i.e. could be a week or a month - no one could tell me). This is good news as last week I could not even get anyone to acknowledge that I was owed anything. Progress.

RE the comment above regarding the $1.04 overpayment to VWCredit, no refund will be provided by them. Yes, this is 'wrong' but not worth arguing.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Update - per conversation today, VWOA and VW Credit have a new process implemented recently. VWOA only sends the amount owed to pay off the loan to VW Credit. Any overages will be paid directly to the consumer from VWOA via a check at sometime in the future (i.e. could be a week or a month - no one could tell me). This is good news as last week I could not even get anyone to acknowledge that I was owed anything. Progress.

RE the comment above regarding the $1.04 overpayment to VWCredit, no refund will be provided by them. Yes, this is 'wrong' but not worth arguing.
Really, those bastiges are gonna' keep your $1.04? Why I never! I hope that it drives some bean counter to suicide when he is trying to close the books on the fiscal year...Mark

Last edited:

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I don't understand what is happening.

Is it something like: in December your buyback (picking arbitrary round numbers) was $15,000, and your loan balance was $5000, and so, as of December your lender was to get $5000 and you were to get $10,000-- but in March, you have made 3 loan payments since December and the loan balance is now $3800, and VW paid you your $10,000, paid the March loan balance of $3800, and you are now wondering where is the extra $1200?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yep, that's pretty much the issue. Of course, that's what VW should be doing--obtaining a current payoff within ten days before the buyback appointment, and adjusting the bank payoff--but they should also be adjusting the amount paid directly to the owner accordingly, which it sounds like they aren't doing.

dgturnquist

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
But even further, why didn't they just cut both checks the same day - one to VW Credit, and the other to the customer? Instead, they cut the check to VW Credit, and then wait another 2-6 weeks to cut the check to the customer. This makes no sense.

Seems like an accounting nightmare and horrible customer service. We really liked our VW, but I'll never buy one again after how the company has handled this recall.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
And it seems that this is only applicable to loans held by VW Credit?

Interestingly, perhaps related, the ICS reported:

"on December 15, 2016, Volkswagen implemented an automated “look-up” function for VCI/AFS loans that allows it to obtain related payoff information in relatively real time."

It seems as if they got their hands on a new tool, then misapplied it? Could this last minute adjustment have been a purposeful procedural change? I'm sure VW Credit is thrilled they're not cutting so many overpayment checks.

tx2017

TDI
GOLF
But even further, why didn't they just cut both checks the same day - one to VW Credit, and the other to the customer? Instead, they cut the check to VW Credit, and then wait another 2-6 weeks to cut the check to the customer. This makes no sense.

Seems like an accounting nightmare and horrible customer service. We really liked our VW, but I'll never buy one again after how the company has handled this recall.

I am hoping they did, I have not checked my mail yet. but that might be wishful thinking.

Better yet why not send a new EFT notification through chase so its painless or at least an email acknowledging what they did and at least inform us about the action taken.

tx2017

TDI
GOLF
I don't feel like calling the hot line again. The last rep I spoke with was very rude just short of calling me a thief, trying to swindle more money out of VGOA, and I screamed at her over the phone. My kids we wondering what was wrong with me.

ChrisB009

It's happened to me as well. Currently short around 1300 and some change. Not sure what the deal is...I was waiting to see if I'd receive an over payment check automatically from VW credit however I might make a call after reading the other posts. The issue I have with this whole process is that the pay off amounts being shared with the customer is wrong if VW is not paying the entire amount to VW credit as stated on the payout sheet. This is basically a fraudulent statement showing improper amounts. It's something I might turn over to the Virginia Corporation Commission and see what their take is on the pay out amounts. I do believe we should contact the court as a group and lodge a complaint at a minimum.

Chris

Last edited:

ChrisB009

Investigated

I did some investigation work on the remaining balance today. The story I received after calling a few places is that the payoff was in fact higher than the amount owed. VW credit will cut a check after a 17 day hold. Preparing the check typically takes three days.

Chris

dgturnquist

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
I did some investigation work on the remaining balance today. The story I received after calling a few places is that the payoff was in fact higher than the amount owed. VW credit will cut a check after a 17 day hold. Preparing the check typically takes three days.

Chris
So, the story you heard is exactly opposite of the story I heard from VWOA and VW Credit (as I've mentioned in above posts). I wonder who is correct?

I was told by VWOA to call the hotline back if I didn't have a check by end of month, but even then they could not confirm that I was owed anything specifically even with my claim number provided.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Would it be better to just pay off the remaining balance of the loan on your own instead of waiting for VW Credit to do so? That way you receive the FULL amount that VW offered you?

ChrisB009

I'll wait until the end of March. If nothing shows up I'll call again and if they cannot provide intelligent information I'll simply stop communications with VW credit and contact a lawyer. I'm not going to run in circles and play games regarding money thats owed - never have, never will. The lending institutions don't play games when their owed money so why should the general public have to play their games when owed money?

Chris

daesania

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta Sportwagen
Would it be better to just pay off the remaining balance of the loan on your own instead of waiting for VW Credit to do so? That way you receive the FULL amount that VW offered you?
No. If you do that, it creates issues with VW receiving the title. If you pay off the loan, the title would go to you initially and it would create a mess.

*zepman

TDI
Former 2012 Passat TDI SEL Current: 2014 e250 Bluetec
Same thing happened to me,

$6853.91 outstanding on my loan as of 12/6/2016
$5495.42 payoff amount on 3/2/2016 when i turned in the car

Owed $1,385.49

Spoke with VW motor credit, they said to call VWOA, Spoke with them first on March 10, 2017, they let me know that my case would be escalated to the "Triage" unit (yeah Triage), i should expect a call or email with in 5-7 Business days

Called today on business day 6, VW phone rep said i would receive either a phone call or email about my "Top off payment".

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
No. If you do that, it creates issues with VW receiving the title. If you pay off the loan, the title would go to you initially and it would create a mess.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Guess I'll just have to go through the process as is and hope for the best.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Called today on business day 6, VW phone rep said i would receive either a phone call or email about my "Top off payment".
That's a diesel for you, long ways between top offs. :D

ChrisB009

The whole process has been littered with issues since day one. This is the first issue I've encountered however there are many complaints with the process from several other claimants. Seems VW never had this fully thought through from the beginning which is unacceptable. Unless VW releases a reliable long lasting diesel sedan which sports AWD (probably never happen due to the competition with Audi) I doubt I'll ever buy another VW. I purchased VW's for their diesels and have since the mid 80's. It's a shame VW went down this path as it's a path of no return for many VW owners in the states.

-Chris

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I carried my copy of the buyback offer with me to the buyback yesterday. I triple checked the amount that they were to pay my lender(even pulled up my lenders pay off quote on their site) and made sure that the correct amount was on my written receipt.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
You're a bank loan, right? Should be ok, so far it's VW Credit loans they're short-paying. Even then, the short pay is despite what's shown on the receipt.

ChrisB009

why is it that they are only shorting VW Credit loans ?

VW isn't shorting the loans - the issue is the consumer isn't receiving the balance of the loan to actual amount owed. VW is shorting the consumer. Hopefully VW or VW Credit will make good and pay the remaining balance to the consumer in a timely manner.

-Chris