2nd best in absence of 507 oil?

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
I will be selling my car back to VW in the next 6 months and can't find anywhere near me that carries 507 oil. I really just need to make sure it stays running smooth for six more months. Can i just use any synthetic? Should i get 501, or 505 if i can?
Thanks guys.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Rotella T6 5w40 should last happily until turn in time. It's commonly available. The ash levels are higher than the VW spec so continued use may lead to the DPF filling up prematurely if used for many years, but it otherwise meets all the requirements.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Why not just order an oil change? Several places will ship you oil, filter and plug, usually with free shipping as well.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Thanks guys! How much would it abuse the engine? If it's just gonna fill up the DPF slightly sooner i'll probably opt to do that. If i have to wait for shipping i may as well wait another 3 weeks till i travel thru somewhere it is available. It's almost 2k overdue at this point. Is it that much better to wait and get the right stuff? I'll be putting another 800 miles on in that time.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not going to hurt the engine at all. It's a proper diesel rated oil and is rated for use with a DPF, just not VW's minuscule not-big-enough-to-actually-work DPF. You aren't abusing the engine in the slightest - realistically you shouldn't be burning oil anyhow, so even the DPF isn't really something you need to worry about.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Rotella is probably fine. It meets Chrysler's standards for the DPF equipped diesel in the Ram 1500. It's slightly higher viscosity, which would only affect fuel economy, and probably not enough to notice.

Alternatively, look for any oil that meets Mercedes-Benz 229.51 or 52. These are low ash oils as well.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm with DubFamily. No need to abuse a good engine.
Bad choice of word: It isn't abusing the engine at all. As stated by several, using non507 oil might slightly impact the lifespan of the DPF, IF your engine is burning oil. How large that negative impact is impossible to know.

Yawiney

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Thanks again. So the 5w40 is ok even though most of the approved are 5w30? Just checking one last time before i get the change.
Edit; i guess there are some on the list at 5w40 too.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
5w40 is fine for one interval. Mobil1 0w40 wouldn't be catastrophic either- plus it comes in 5qt jugs.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
How many miles will you be driving?

I simply wouldn't change the oil at all, you won't see a catastrophic failure from oil with 25k miles on it.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
How many miles will you be driving?

I simply wouldn't change the oil at all, you won't see a catastrophic failure from oil with 25k miles on it.
First part yes, last part wrong

This link shows you are gradually etching the engine with acid. This is acid corrosion using TDT for over 20,000 miles. This cam eventually had to be replaced.

Just top up with a good synthetic if you are going to be selling it back. Another 800 miles is not going to hurt if kept topped up.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=311998

Edit: I see you have to keep it for 6 months, so I agree with all the answers in the following order. 1)Top up and go 800 miles and get proper oil. 2) change now with T6

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First part yes, last part wrong
This cam eventually had to be replaced.
I think the keyword is EVENTUALLY... I'd bet my left testie that as long as the car had a proper level of oil in it that it would easily go 30k miles with the same oil and run fine enough to drop it off for the buyback.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm for extended oil changes, but jeez, guys, 30k miles w/o a change? You don't think that constitutes abuse?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm for extended oil changes, but jeez, guys, 30k miles w/o a change? You don't think that constitutes abuse?
It isn't a question of abuse, it is a question of will the car have a catastrophic failure prior to the buyback in 6 months cause by the used oil.

For the record, I use 20k OCI's in my ALH. It has 363k miles on it now. ;)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So anything short of catastrophic failure is okay?

I just can't justify the potential for harming a perfectly good engine (forget about the stuff downstream). VWoA will be trying to sell these cars, they're not all going to be scrapped.

OP: Change the oil, then forget about it...

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
What exactly do you believe is going to be damaged?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
belome: Link, please, to your info that, "...it will be crushed anyways..."?

Besides, the car is probably owned by a bank/finance company, and after buyback, by VWoA, perhaps to be sold to one of your neighbors/friends/family members, or...even a TDIClub member looking for a deal.

Of course, 30k OCI won't kill the engine, but it would cause a bit of excessive wear. I think it's irresponsible to go beyond a reasonable time/mileage limit. 30k miles is irresponsible.
Jeez, guys, we're talking about 30min labor/max, and $60 worth of supplies. Rather petty to even be discussing this.

(But hey, I'm the guy that washed both cars prior to selling them back to VWoA.;))

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Chevron delo 5w40 is another option. That and the M1 0w40 can be had at Wmart for $5/qt.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Valvoline Syn Power 5w-40, it is MB 229.51,(DPF spec) plus meets earlier VW specs, but not 507.00. on sale at Napa, look in discount oil locator thread