Storing Golf TDI wagon until Canadian buyback

ronsig

TDI
Golf TDI Wagon 2011 6 speed
Any suggestions about preparing car for parking until Canadian buyback during the summer?? Should I fill the tank (don't want to give it to them really)?? Add Stabil? Disconnect battery??? Thanks. Will be in garage.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Disconnecting the battery would be wise. Even a totally idle car will have a small amount of drain keeping things like keyless entry listening for a signal, the clock going, etc.

A fuel additive which deals with moisture wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but really isn't absolutely necessary either.

If you want to keep the tires after turning the car in getting the weight off of them during storage would be wise, but if you aren't keeping them, meh.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My sister's TDI sits for 3 - 4 months every winter while they are in Florida. The battery is dead when they come back; that's the only issue. If it's in a garage, temperature fluctuations should be nowhere near what it would be like outside, and that's what gets condensation into the fuel tank. I don't think you need to worry about it aside from possibly doing something to keep the battery charged.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
tanks are plastic, no need to fill it. when tanks were metal, the air pocket above would allow humidity and condensation to build up and start rust. hence the whole fill the tank advice, but it's dated.

disconnect battery for sure or put on trickle charger. why you storing it anyways? and why inside?

do not put the car on jack stands. a drooped suspension will fail when you put it back on the ground after a long time. ask how i know.

inflate tires to 40 psi and put down squares of styrofoam (like from a TV box, or other electronics) under each tire. those interlocking squares for kid's playrooms are too soft, i find styrofoam has the perfect 'give' for storing cars. you can buy it from home depot too if you don't have any at home. failing that, you can stack like 15 disposable styrofoam plates from the dollar store too under each tire.