A question about the settlement

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
As every one knows that an agreement was reached in Canada and awaiting court approval.

My question is to US owners who opted for keeping the vehicle, did they receive the full cash payment, or just 2/3 of the amount ?

I read somewhere that VW withholds 1/3 until the vehicle is repaired with the emission fix, whenever available.

Any truth to that?

Thank You.

Yukon4Runner

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (buyback) 2015 Golf Sportwagen (buyback buy)
The court settlement is public. All your questions are answered there.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Nobody electing fix gets anything until the car is actually fixed. I think that one of the fixes is a two stage fix, and you get partial payment after each stage is completed.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Nobody electing fix gets anything until the car is actually fixed. I think that one of the fixes is a two stage fix, and you get partial payment after each stage is completed.
Correct on all counts. It's the MY2015 cars that have the two-stage (proposed) fix, where the owner gets 2/3 of the restitution when the first stage is done, and 1/3 when the second stage is done. The remaining cars are proposed to be fixed in one stage.

Edit: Where's the idea coming from (again) that anyone can get paid anything before doing the fix? Because nothing in any of the documents even suggests this.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Where's the idea coming from (again) that anyone can get paid anything before doing the fix? Because nothing in any of the documents even suggests this.

People who don't read the entire documents? Optimists?

Also, it seems, that the claims hotline has perpetuated this fallacy as well, at least according to individuals who have posted here.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Thank you, this makes it easy decision for the buyback, provided it is a fair price.

And how soon can one receive the compensation sum, is it combined with the buyback price?

Also thank you to other responders, I checked out other posts and found out that others are just as confused as myself, no sense for me to read the US settlement as the Canadian one may be different, I will wait for that one to be released.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
On buybacks, you get one payment covering everything, either a check at the time you turn the car in, or an electronic funds transfer that is typically completed within two business days. In my opinion, the EFT is better, because the check amount may be wrong, creating complications.

There have been a few rare instances of complications with the EFT if the buyback computer system crashes at an inopportune time in your buyback. Those instances are very rare so far.