If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
Leaning toward the modification but am also considering:
GMC Canyon Diesel
Honda Accord Touring
Mazda 6 Grand Touring
Ford Fusion Hybrid
Nissan Maxima
Accord touring is near the top of my list. I know the v6 flies all in the face of that which is tdi but it gets just as good highway mpg as the 2010 accord 4 cylinder it traded in on the tdi.
Also it has a true transmission not the cvt like the 4 cylinder.
Secondly I like the Mazda 6

dshaner

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I didn't know that the Eco was out. Did you test both the Eco (1.4L) and SE (2.0L)? Does the Eco have enough power?
I did not drive the SE, it has the same engine as the Limited. It has a little more horsepower but less torque than the Eco. The Eco was had pretty good acceleration, not quite as snappy as the Jetta.

I felt quite comfortable merging on the highway and taking off from a stop.

The only thing I did not like was driving in the parking lot, the DCT had a little issue trying to decide what gear to be in. I figure I could just kick it over to manual in those type of situations. It might be addressed with a software fix.

The SE has an 6-speed automatic, but you can get the manual in the SE trim.

The Eco is the one I am definitely going to buy when the time comes.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
My directive is "better view", as the older Volt suffers on this score. The JSW green house will be missed.

Used Model S
Chevy Bolt
Pacifica Hybrid
Malibu Hybrid
a CUV (undecided, on drive train, probably older as a result)

Visited Volvo today. Just weird how a 2.4ltr turbo 4, in a vehicle like the XC90, is being sold like the new hotness? "It's got stop/start"?? $15,000 premium, to add 9kwh hybrid T8? Its cabin = 7pssgr awesome. No problem staying away from Q7, especially since Audi ducked from introducing its 17kwh Q7 PHEV. Suburu, Mazda and Kia (rentals, accept the Sub) all get loud, IMO. I'm on Model 3 list, but am not wild about the dashboard. There's so much differentiation out there. People want torque off the line, and are being sold non-diesel turbo 4's. Common 8-11kwh PHEV batteries are really not enough for all-electric performance, especially at/above highway speed. Sort of a no man's land. Good hunting.

Last edited:

bglf83

TDI
Jetta
How is it? I'm pretty sure thats what I'm going to end up with.
Does really well, we have a 4x4 four door short bed. People setting the cruise on 67 are reporting around 31 mpg highway.

I get between 28 and 30 on the highway but we normally drive 75.

It's much quieter than my 12 Jetta on the highway. We use the truck for long trips and when we need to do truck stuff.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
Does really well, we have a 4x4 four door short bed. People setting the cruise on 67 are reporting around 31 mpg highway.

I get between 28 and 30 on the highway but we normally drive 75.

It's much quieter than my 12 Jetta on the highway. We use the truck for long trips and when we need to do truck stuff.
Excellent, I've been reading everything I can to learn up on it. I drove one about 5 miles the other day. Helps that I get employee discount :D

KARKS

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon TDI 2012
From up north, depending when the Canadian buy back offers come in! I am considering a complete change and looking at the Dodge Eco Diesel. My driving has changed and I have always wanted a truck. Always loved my TDI's by this one is a bit of a lemon with odd issues. Hoping the buy back will be good up this way and I can get into a Diesel Truck.

despain85

TDI
None yet!
I may end up in an Infiniti G37x, it's awd which will suit me well in Colorado and they look great to boot. I'm like most of you, have absolutely no clue on what to buy.

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
Two cars I'm considering. I'll give back my 13 Passat tdi and after paying off remainder of loan, I'll get a simple 4cyl manual car for my son to drive. Maybe a older Passat or Jetta gasser. I'll then take out new loan for an Audi A4 in 2013-2014 vintage. Similar pricing to the Passat when new. Not as good mpg but high 30's And the Quattro will be welcome in wny winter snow. I also want stick so the new Passat gasser is out as its only offered as auto trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikey30

TDI
2011 Golf MT
One of the cars I like that I have not heard many people consider is the BMW 428i Gran Coupe. I don't know much about it but it is very similar to a GTI in performance. Both cars get around 24/34 for MPG, do 0-60 in mid to high 5s range and have a hatch which is a must for our family and dogs.

The downside is that for the same price as a new GTI (especially if VW is willing to sweeten the deal) I would have to get a lightly used 428.

Anybody have much experience with a 428i Gran coupe or a 328i, seeing as they are really the same car minus the trunk vs hatch? Also how do you think reliability would be between the VW and BMW?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I've got a '15 Passat SE with only 8,500 miles. Purchased on 3/18/16 with only 2,800 miles. I'm the second owner, so I'm not sure what type of payment I'll get from VW for "we're sorry for your troubles". Edit... I purchased directly from the dealer in White Plains NY. It may have previously been a lease car.

Then I plan on driving the car until mid 2018 and sell it back for whatever the buyback is. I figure I'll have around 25,000 miles on it then, so the buyback amount will be close to 29,800 I think.
Then I'll see if I can negotiate a good deal on a VW CC. I've always liked the looks of them. Nice lines. it would be great if VW would offer a discount for folks bringing a Tdi back and staying with VW.

Last edited:

ChimneyJim

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 SportWagen SEL
My Dad's 08 Grand Marquis with 24k on it. Decided to just have a work car free and clear and use the wife's Tucson for anything else.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
One of the cars I like that I have not heard many people consider is the BMW 428i Gran Coupe. I don't know much about it but it is very similar to a GTI in performance. Both cars get around 24/34 for MPG, do 0-60 in mid to high 5s range and have a hatch which is a must for our family and dogs.

The downside is that for the same price as a new GTI (especially if VW is willing to sweeten the deal) I would have to get a lightly used 428.

Anybody have much experience with a 428i Gran coupe or a 328i, seeing as they are really the same car minus the trunk vs hatch? Also how do you think reliability would be between the VW and BMW?
Looks like price is closer to if not more than a Golf R not a GTI. I'm seeing nice 2016 SE's in the upper 20's all over the place right now. I don't think you'll be getting a lightly used 45k car in a newer model year for 25k from what I'm seeing.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
I'm wondering what time of year is the best to buy a new car.
I vaguely recall hearing it's the end of the year (December), since dealers want to move cars off their lots by the end of the calendar year. If you're lucky or not picky, you might also be able to pick up a great deal on the previous model year at that time, too, since the new ones will have already been out for a couple of months.

Marsupial said:
Well my first dip into diesel world didn't work out so well so I'm thinking hybrid of some sorts... I'm in the minority of TDI owners (it seems) that actually bought VW diesel mainly for its economy and "cleanliness".
I'm in this group, too.

Marsupial said:
Honestly, what I would really want and be very interested in is a Golf with the Jetta hybrid's drivetrain and batteries under the back seat - that does not exist though.
At this point I'm thinking about test driving that Hyndai Ioniq hybrid and see how it feels.
Yeah, a hybrid Golf would be interesting -- but even if it existed, VW would have to offer an amazing deal to get me to replace my Golf TDI with a hybrid Golf.

Given your desires, I think you should at least test-drive a 2016-2017 Prius; by all accounts, it performs much better than the previous (3rd) generation. Some friends of mine bought one to replace their 2nd-generation Prius. I haven't driven it, but I did ride in it as a passenger, and it seemed pretty nice -- certainly it wasn't anywhere near as noisy as previous Prii have been. If you want safety features, the latest Prius also has a lot of stuff available as options -- lane-keep assist, adaptive cruise control, forward collision alert with auto-braking, etc.

You may also want to look into the Ford C-MAX hybrid. Its fuel economy isn't up to Prius standards, but it should roughly match a Golf TDI, depending on how it's driven. It's also supposed to accelerate better than a Prius, it's got more cargo space, and its styling is quite different. Right now, Ford is offering ~$3,000 on the hood, so it's less expensive than a Prius -- but of course that could change by the end of the year. OTOH, the C-MAX is behind the curve when it comes to advanced electronics and safety features -- you can't even get a back-up camera except in the top trim line. At least SYNC 3 is now available to replace the dreadful (or so I hear; I've never used it) MyFord Touch -- although I think the latter is still the default in lower trim lines. In any event, given your stated needs, the C-MAX may be a good choice for you.

FWIW, those are the ones I'm considering, too -- the Prius, the C-MAX, and (if it arrives in time and details look good) the Ioniq, in roughly that order.

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
I think I've narrowed it down to just two cars and decided to go cheaper. I'm going to try and find a manual 2012-2014 A4 Quattro or just get a gti. I really hope that when the buy back comes I'll be able to find a nice used Quattro with low miles. There's one in my area, a 2012 s-line Quattro manual with 19k on the clock for $24k. I'm wishing they would take my car today and factor in the buy back to the trade in price. Lol probably a pipe dream.

Circuit

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I think I've narrowed it down to just two cars and decided to go cheaper. I'm going to try and find a manual 2012-2014 A4 Quattro or just get a gti. I really hope that when the buy back comes I'll be able to find a nice used Quattro with low miles. There's one in my area, a 2012 s-line Quattro manual with 19k on the clock for $24k. I'm wishing they would take my car today and factor in the buy back to the trade in price. Lol probably a pipe dream.
Stick with the 2013+ B8.5. Nicer facelifted front end and upgraded 2.0T that solves the oil burning issues and is also E85 compatible. +100hp on an E85 tune.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Would anybody consider the 1.4tsi Jetta, in maybe th se trim? I love my Passat, but I also like a smaller, lighter car, that's a little more nimble on back roads. I know it's a step down, but it looks kind of appealing to me. At least for today anyway. ��
Drove a '15 base model over the weekend. Chassis was OK but the engine felt a bit unresponsive. In all fairness there were 4 adults + some luggage aboard.

SuperDaveAPK

TDI
2009 Jetta
Will get $16k back for my 09 Jetta. I'm driving 20k per year and my 13 yr old twins are nearing 6ft tall. Just not enough leg room in back of the Jetta to keep it.

Thinking on an S or R Line Passat if VW ponies up extra incentive to stay with the brand.

Otherwise, will probably pay off wife's Sorento and then get another gen 1 XB for myself. They get 30mpg, low maintenance costs and run forever with a ton of interior space. I'm kicking myself for selling my 05 when I inherited the Jetta.

PoliPino

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I'll be starting work at GM in August, so it's going to be a GM for me - Chevy Impala or Buick LaCrosse most likely. Going from 40+ mpg down to mid-twenties will be a bummer, and GM not making a midsize MT sucks.

If I weren't looking GM, It would have been the 6MT Honda Accord EX or Mazda6

Clark Addison

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI
I'm leaning toward the Audi A3 E-tron. It's the hybrid version of my VW Sportwagen with lots more luxury and good performance for a hybrid. In addition to $17k buyback for my 2010, there's about $6k tax rebate from the state and feds. That makes the Audi affordable. The base ("premium") model has all the bells and whistles I need. The upsell models are mostly flash.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
I'll be starting work at GM in August, so it's going to be a GM for me - Chevy Impala or Buick LaCrosse most likely. Going from 40+ mpg down to mid-twenties will be a bummer, and GM not making a midsize MT sucks.
If I weren't looking GM, It would have been the 6MT Honda Accord EX or Mazda6
What plant? I'm at detroit-hamtramck. Built the first saleable lacrosse last week sometime.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm leaning toward the Audi A3 E-tron. It's the hybrid version of my VW Sportwagen with lots more luxury and good performance for a hybrid. In addition to $17k buyback for my 2010, there's about $6k tax rebate from the state and feds. That makes the Audi affordable. The base ("premium") model has all the bells and whistles I need. The upsell models are mostly flash.

I hadn't heard about the A3 e-tron until you mentioned it. Looks interesting. 83mpg or so?

Kind of expensive though. 38k? I don't have a garage or anywhere to plug in such a car... Plus if only want to top out at mid 20s. How much do you figure it will cost you with incentives and such? Are they federal incentives?

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
Gotta admit - this fiasco has left me kind of jaded. Don't think I am buying new ever again. In fact, I'm doing a 180 and taking the "el cheapo" route - looking for something used around $5k - hahahahaha. Probably a MINI of some sort.
Agree with this. First car the wife or i have ever bought with a loan. Wouldnt you know it, one week later its embroiled in this spectacular scandal. :D

Were it only my car, id realistically sell it back, pay off the loan, and go buy something for cash with the few grand extra id be looking at. My motivation wouldnt be yea or nea tdi and VW, it would be getting away from the loan experiment forever.

The wife drives the car, maybe a nice police package crown vic for a few grand.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
I hadn't heard about the A3 e-tron until you mentioned it. Looks interesting. 83mpg or so?

Kind of expensive though. 38k? I don't have a garage or anywhere to plug in such a car... Plus if only want to top out at mid 20s. How much do you figure it will cost you with incentives and such? Are they federal incentives?
83 miles of EPA range, not "mpg". I wouldn't use the mpg, or the MPGe, stat because it doesn't tell you the balance of electric-range, and gas-efficiency. It's more of a chemical stat, than an economic one (33kwh=1 gallon, yada, yada). A Prius PHEV would do respectable MPGe, but not make it up an exit ramp with any umpf, in electric mode. An I-8 takes over 9 seconds to reach 0-60mph (Road&Track) in electric, but probably has a great MPGe. A Volt wouldn't have much more respectable MPGe, but is a far better battery-only experience (@18kwh). That's because 15-20kwh are like a V6 compared to the 4-8kwh in the Toyo or the BMW...

I drive a Tesla P85D, which with 85kwh is capable of pushing ~1,300 amps, because of its battery size. It isn't only about range, why people look for bigger batteries in their plug-ins.

If its about fuel savings in an e-Tron, you'll be paying about $.03/mile for the ~20 electric miles per charge, and maybe $.07/mile after the charge runs down. Each time you pull ~10kwh out of a wall, instead of premium gas, you'll probably save a whopping buck. With gas prices where they are, and the limited batteries these cars have (and their cost), the decision becomes more about silence, vibration, smoothness, torque, gravity center (as batteries get bigger and lower) and the environment. The fuel-savings are no longer as material, unless you're making the leap to all-battery cars, or get closer to 20kwh "under the hood".

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I'm pretty sure your Sportwagen is much roomier than the A3. They're sweet but small.

Mike_S

TDI
Sportwagen TDI 2010
Seriously? I traded my 2010 for a new 2014 specifically so I would not have to drive a non-IRS car. The Sportwagen profile has only become a worse choice from 2015.

TSI has: No DSG. Rear seats do not go completely flat. Heated Seats get you an expensive and totally useless glass "Panorama Roof".

I guess I do not absolutely need a wagon, but wagon rear seat entry is always better and all our friends get older every year.
I need a car with a 400 mile tank, not a 200 mile tank or worse a 40 mile tank. Electric cars do are not cleaner, they just put the pollution somewhere else, usually on the rural poor. I do not want to drive a whale, a truck or anything over ~$40k out the door.

Mazda 6 would be a good driving car, Subaru Legacy is also a reliable, good driving new car choice. May look score a low mile 2016 Audi 6 2.0t or Merc E250 by summer 2017.

Last edited:

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I stopped by my local VW dealer today to just look at the Jetta Sport. Had a nice little conversation with a sales guy and the Sales Mangler, and to my surprise, they were both well up on Dieselgate. The SM said he hated to tell me this, but he expects our diesels to shoot up in value, since they can't sell them, they will be scarce, and virtually every customer that comes in is still most concerned about fuel mileage. He also mentioned some dealer meeting next month in Miami where VW will bring them all up to date. Just another opinion, but from someone who is continuously exposed to customers wanting high MPG cars, and more importantly, looking for that in a VW, so that might mean there is a potential group of buyers out there. Made me think about the possibility of keeping the car, taking the cash for the fix, and then selling it high.

AmandaSch

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I stopped by my local VW dealer today to just look at the Jetta Sport. Had a nice little conversation with a sales guy and the Sales Mangler, and to my surprise, they were both well up on Dieselgate. The SM said he hated to tell me this, but he expects our diesels to shoot up in value, since they can't sell them, they will be scarce, and virtually every customer that comes in is still most concerned about fuel mileage. He also mentioned some dealer meeting next month in Miami where VW will bring them all up to date. Just another opinion, but from someone who is continuously exposed to customers wanting high MPG cars, and more importantly, looking for that in a VW, so that might mean there is a potential group of buyers out there. Made me think about the possibility of keeping the car, taking the cash for the fix, and then selling it high.
I wondered what the value of the cars would be after the fix, and was also thinking maybe they would go up.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Agree with this. First car the wife or i have ever bought with a loan. Wouldnt you know it, one week later its embroiled in this spectacular scandal. :D
Were it only my car, id realistically sell it back, pay off the loan, and go buy something for cash with the few grand extra id be looking at. My motivation wouldnt be yea or nea tdi and VW, it would be getting away from the loan experiment forever.
The wife drives the car, maybe a nice police package crown vic for a few grand.

Just bought a 2010 MINI Convertible with 100k miles for $7.7k

RollingCoal

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL
I wondered what the value of the cars would be after the fix, and was also thinking maybe they would go up.
I seriously doubt it. If there's continued strong demand for tdi's they will be sold new again, probably reintroduced quietly as the scandal dies down and moves out of the public view. Understand that if VW has an approved fix for the 2015's then they will likely get said fix greenlit for new vehicles. If for some reason it lowers the power I'm sure they can mess around with the tune or spec the engine slightly differently to achieve a similar driving experience with an approved engine. Don't forget that the EPA mpg estimate on the window sticker was still attractive enough to get buyers into tdi's even before they ended up getting more than what was advertised due to the cheat.