Transmission removal

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Is there any reason not to leave the torque converter bolted to the flex plate when removing the tranny. Seems there would b e more access to get at the TC bolts with the tranny out of the way.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
You would have to slide the gear box back much further to get it to clear the T.C., then it would leak ATF all over the place too. The flex plate bolts are easy to get to. Just remove the starter.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
OK makes sense then. I assume it is also a good idea to replace the oil and filter, though it was done fairly recently.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
OK makes sense then. I assume it is also a good idea to replace the oil and filter, though it was done fairly recently.
Uhhmmmm, why are you pulling the transmission?

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I found I had to make a locking tool to slide into a hole at the bottom of the bell housing and engage a ring gear tooth in order to prevent it rotating. Maybe someone has a simpler fix.