ALH 1.9 in 99 Ford Explorer 5.0 AWD

andre104623

TDI
1.9 alh going in 99 ford explorer
Hello everyone this is my project page for my TDI explorer AWD. I'm building this truck because I love my 99 ford explorer 5.0 AWD I've had it for 9 years doesn't own me a thing. 3 weeks ago I started my car and headed to work when I loud pop then followed by an knock
My 5.0 with 220,000 is dying quicky and all the sudden I know ford explorers have a bad rap but try to understand that this truck is like new doesnt leak anything no check engine light sunroof A/C other then a few dents its perfect. But there is one problem I get 9-10 MPG F***ing 5.0 but if it was 1999 again when gas was 89. cents a gallon I wouldnt care. The motor is in ALH 1.9 TDI with 270,000 miles on it I got it for $500. Ok first thing first lets rebuild this motor! New rings, Pistons, rod bearings, seals, oil pan, Timing belt, 12mm injection pump, nozzles (Haven't made my mind on size yet), odds and ends, last but not least extreme green paint to match my Snap-on classic 96 tool box. Motor mounts from TD converions only $280 (FYI Ranger and Explorer share same mounts)

I will be rebuilding the 5.0 as well but at a later time. The only worry I have is the homemade transmission adapter plate I have to make for my 4R70W transmission this will be the hardest part for me because I can rebuild engines all day long when it comes to a part I have never used, seen, made before. I will be using a large plexi glass square to trace out the TDI bolt patten then the other side for the 4R70W from that I can make my die which then can be cut to steel. The flex plate will have to be reuse and drilled to fit. I never want to hear "you can't" "won't work" its BS failure is not an option here I WILL use this trans and it WILL WORK. No TCM needed since this trans is pressure controlled
The overdrive will need a switch to lockup since its the only computer controlled part of this trans that I know of.

The motor came with no turbo (Well it did but it's no good) found some used ones with manifold on ebay around the 170 range or I could go all out and get a upgraded turbo I'll save this for last much bigger things on my mind right now I have some turbos laying around the shop if I want to be cheap. I'm a very busy auto mechanic I work 85 hours a week 7 days a week and during the project sundays will be my build day. I hope to have it back on the road in 4-8 weeks.

I'm open to all ideas and help along the way I WILL have questions trust me
Some before pics tomorrow and video's along the way

Last edited:

andre104623

TDI
1.9 alh going in 99 ford explorer
Instead of using the plexi and transfer method I'd look up the small block ford bell housing pattern and use that in conjunction with this http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/tdi_engine_cad_drawing_small.pdf to make up a drawing for the adapter. The adapter needs to be quite accurate. All you really need is to get the dowel pins spot on and the rest can be done with a transfer punch if you want.
Thanks for the info I have an machine shop now willing to work with me and really into my build. The owner which is also my landlord really wants to see the outcome since he is a diesel guy but powerstoke he laugh at the fact I was using an 1.9 TDI saying it won't be able to get out of its own way. After showing him proformace upgrades and HP numbers he was shocked so now that I'm good there and motor is here ran the motor out of gas. I have it on the lift started to take everything out oh and the trans needs a TCM to shift property and are really up there so I found an full manual valve body kit for my trans that deletes the stock TCM computer. This is the way I'm going to good cheap as possible simple is always better in the long run anyway so wish me luck im moving my thread to 4btswaps because I get more help there. I keep this open update when I can