VW TDI goodwill package: Offers $500 Visa cards & $500 dealer credits to TDI owners

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
I have $450.85 left on my VW dealership card, expires 12 noon on 1/31/2017.
My wife called in today to the number of the back of the card. She said the process to have the card reissued was all automated -- nobody to plead with or deny the request.

I'm not sure if we'll get dinged with the $5 fee.

I already talked to a VW dealer who said no problem to order tires for a non-VW that, according to VW's tire website, aren't a stock VW size. So that's probably where the $495 will go.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I dropped by my dealer to have the remaining balance of my card which expires the end of January put 'on account', and they also added an extra $50 just for spending the whole card at the dealership!

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
I had what was left over from the overpriced VW services on the VW Only card put on account with my dealer. I used part of it a couple days ago to get an ID/OD inspection after I moved to a new state to satisfy some requirement for the plates. I currently have about $20 left and am NOT gonna be buying another VW. Hmmm...wonder what I can get from their store for $20? Maybe a new coffee mug? >_>

-T.

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
I had $188 on my dealer only card set to expire 1/31. I stopped by my dealer to see if they'd put it on my account for my upcoming 20k service on my Touareg. They said they can't!! I wound up spending $188 in their parts department on DEF, Wiper blades, t-shirts, and a nice VW Ogio tote bag....

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
I had $188 on my dealer only card set to expire 1/31. I stopped by my dealer to see if they'd put it on my account for my upcoming 20k service on my Touareg. They said they can't!! I wound up spending $188 in their parts department on DEF, Wiper blades, t-shirts, and a nice VW Ogio tote bag....
I guess dealers have different policies, mine gives you a better price if you pre-pay for service.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
Mine allowed me to put the remaining balance of my card on account for future services, and as well gave an extra $50 for 'spending' it all at their dealership!

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Mine allowed me to put the remaining balance of my card on account for future services, and as well gave an extra $50 for 'spending' it all at their dealership!

IMO ~~ wise dealer "good will" investment

We bought my wife's 2015 RAV4 from a dealer in OKC

But one local Toyota dealer has done all the FREE "Toyota Care" issues and more. Like free flat tires, free wash jobs, replaced 20 month old dead batter. (no charge) ~~ great fast courteous service:D

When time come to replace her RAV4 ~~ my intentions are to favor his dealership

After I sell her 2015 RAV4 (on the curb) my formula will be giving him a few (or) several hundred dollar advantage on the final price.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
What to do with the $500 dealer card?

If the plan is to go with the buyback, and another VW isn't on the horizon, what's the best way to use the $500 dealer credit card? What are you folks doing with these if you're cutting your ties to VW

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If the plan is to go with the buyback, and another VW isn't on the horizon, what's the best way to use the $500 dealer credit card? What are you folks doing with these if you're cutting your ties to VW
See if the VW dealer carries tires for your other vehicle or see if they are affilated with a brand your interested in. Ask if they will transfer the funds to the other garage.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
As the original cards you supposedly "lost" had an expiration of late 2016, why is there an expectation of the replacement cards arriving in February 2017 being good for more than a month or two?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
As the original cards you supposedly "lost" had an expiration of late 2016, why is there an expectation of the replacement cards arriving in February 2017 being good for more than a month or two?
Exactly!! About time someone chimed in with some common sense.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Dieselgate has fostered a bad case of "the gimmies" and a sense of entitlement among some TDi owners. Give em an inch, they want a foot. Give em a foot, they want a yard.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
You're nuts if you think if questioning a 2 month valid date on a replacement card is "entitlement." It's a friggin comment. And FWIW, I reimbursed VW $5 for the privilege of "losing" the card per their terms; I didn't point a gun at their head or whine to them on the phone about it. Sheesh man, I didn't even ask the the $500 or any of the rest of this, they gave it to me, so get over it.

You can bet if there was no way to extend, that money would either have been spent, or passed along to a friend, or forfeited with no complaint. And sure as hell not wasted on a bunch of useless branded merchandise. If I can't convert mind to Audi or Volvo credit at a combined dealer group, I'll buy tires and store 'em, since I don't need them at the moment.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
A card with a postponed expiration date is not a "replacement" for a supposedly lost card. Rather, its an improvement.

If you lost your registration card for your car and applied to the DMV for a "replacement", would you expect it to have a six month later expiration date than the original you supposedly lost? For $5 ?? No. You would pay for the replacement, and it would have the same expiration date as the original that you supposedly lost.

And since you received this goodwill card, gave up no property or legal rights to receive and use it, and it did not factor into your buyback price, its hard to view it as anything other than an entitlement.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Any way you want to slice it, it's been replaced per VW's guidelines, not mine, it's no "entitlement" -- especially in the derogatory sense that you're slinging the term -- and my That's it? comment stands.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I feel a bit embarrassed to ask, but I need to, since I am on the road a lot and still haven't spent a dime on my good will cards.

Both cards say "expires 5/17". What exactly does this mean?

Does it mean it expires a minute after 11:59 pm on May 31, 2017?

Or does it means it expires a minute after 11:59 pm on April 30, 2017?

Or does it mean something different?

I just need to know so I can plan the few minutes/hours I'm home each month around how to deal with these cards w/o loosing their value. Please help!

mishman

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
$500 vw gift card for sale

I have a $500 VW gift card for sale that expires at the end of July. Since I no longer have a VW, am looking to sell it at discount. Would like to get $400 for it.

richyrich

TDI
2014 Touareg, 2015 Sportwagon (gone to the big emissions-lot in the sky)
Dieselgate has fostered a bad case of "the gimmies" and a sense of entitlement among some TDi owners. Give em an inch, they want a foot. Give em a foot, they want a yard.
Totally this. I am so sick of the impatience and logic failures going on around this stuff. Makes you wonder about people. "Gimmies" is an excellent word for it!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have a $500 VW gift card for sale that expires at the end of July. Since I no longer have a VW, am looking to sell it at discount. Would like to get $400 for it.
If I were coming up on my 120K mile service instead of the 110K, I would be interested but am not sure right now how much longer I'll have this car.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
If there's a dealer near you who sells other cars nearby, like VW / Mazda, etc., have them convert the card to a dealership card. That's what we did - so now we have $500 lifetime cash to spend, but ONLY at that dealership. At the very worst, it's a free set of tires down the road.