OEM look USB charging port in the dead button cluster in the center console

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Installed a Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger yesterday.
Found a review of product on the GolfMK6 forum. Better pics in that thread and a full review.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68941

Always disliked that I had to use the "cigarette" lighter for a usb adapter.
I can now keep that cover closed and use the usb port on the dead button area. For $59.00 for the kit plus $5.00 shipping, total $64.00, I'm happy and the passenger can still use the cigarette adapter at the same time.

With the button cover closed.

With button cover open

With USB cable installed (not provided)

Last edited:

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Wow, that is really nice.

I am, as a rule, afraid to mess with things too much-- especially electrical things.

But that is really nice, and would be a huge help.

Question: it must share power with the 12V cigarette lighter. Can both be used simulatenously-- say, the new USB port to charge a phone, and the 12V socket to power a GPS device-- without melting anything?

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Wow, that is really nice.

I am, as a rule, afraid to mess with things too much-- especially electrical things.

But that is really nice, and would be a huge help.

Question: it must share power with the 12V cigarette lighter. Can both be used simulatenously-- say, the new USB port to charge a phone, and the 12V socket to power a GPS device-- without melting anything?
Took me 60 minutes to install, only because I took the time to thoroughly clean and apply 301 protectant to the little cubby. Also, removing the shift boot bracket is a little tricky (3rd time removing mine). After that, remove two torx screws and the cubby removes easily after disconnecting the ESP connector and the cig. connector. Plenty of room to "tap" the two wires. Also plenty of room to stuff all the wiring below the cubby.

The kit has everything you need to do the install, although the instructions are for a MK5. Includes two nylon wire center taps that "tap" into the DC lines on the original cigarette lighter.

USB ports draw small amounts of current so I'm confident that the OEM wire gauge will handle the current draw when using both the APEX USB and a USB cigarette adapter.

BTW, my android phone indicates remaining charging time. Hooked it up and the phone indicted the exact same charging time as when I plug into the AC adapter in my house.

This unit advertises that it is made for Apple products to "provide a quick charge time". I experimented, and plugged it into both the Apple side and the generic side and both charging times were the same for my phone.

Bob

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'll probably get one of these even though they are kind of pricey.

I was planning on doing a DIY version, but their setup would looks cleaner and more convenient than what I was planning on doing.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
BTW, my android phone indicates remaining charging time. Hooked it up and the phone indicted the exact same charging time as when I plug into the AC adapter in my house.

This unit advertises that it is made for Apple products to "provide a quick charge time". I experimented, and plugged it into both the Apple side and the generic side and both charging times were the same for my phone.

Bob
Quick charge on any phone can be done with USB @ 1A. The thing about apple phones is they are non-compliant with certain USB standards.

The USB standard to indicate an AC USB port is the data lines are shorted. This tells the phone that the port is for charging and the phone can use a high charge rate. Apple devices ignore this standard and try to draw as much power as possible from the port. This can be a problem on ports that can't handle that much power.

Since Android phones are usually compliant with this standard, if the port does not short the data pins, then you have to use a cable or adapter like this. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009W34X5O

But it sounds like this won't be a problem with this charging port.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Thanks for the info!!!

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
And I just got mine installed. They were right when they say the install is easy. Was done in less than 15 minutes.

I tested it on my phone and it definitely charges fast. Now to try it out on my Nexus 7.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
I did one of their 12v garage door openers a little while back. It works well.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I did one of their 12v garage door openers a little while back. It works well.
I've actually been considering that one. Just never gotten around to it.

How's the range? I usually have to be within 60-70ft of my garage with my OEM opener before it starts to open.

bobt2382

TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Going to procure an upgrade for the charging module for my USB charge setup for $25. According to their website, "The 36W Charger module now comes with Qualcomm's Quick Charge™ 3.0 technology for one of the two ports." Link for the complete details.

https://www.doubleapex.co/products/usb_charger_usb01

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
I've actually been considering that one. Just never gotten around to it.

How's the range? I usually have to be within 60-70ft of my garage with my OEM opener before it starts to open.
The range on the opener is improved over the oem opener, but that's just my experience.