Cant stand the noise

Draza

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 00, Black
I recently replaced my stock shocks with Bilstein HD's on my 00 Golf. Ever since then there has been this creaking type noise in the passenger rear part of the car. Sounds like its coming from the schock area (based on me laying in the hatch area while the wife drove and my ear to the sound. The sound is like plastic creaking. Could it be that the rear shock upper or lower bolts are two tight? not tight enough? Any one with any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ishikawa

TDI
Golf GLS, 2004, Blue Anthracite / Black Velour
Hello Draza...

I'm new to the VW world...and haven't even assessed my suspension setup yet, but I'm assuming the shocks have rubber / poly bushings on them where you mount the bolts through, correct? If so, I would make sure you have some good white lithium grease on them....I want to say that I have some specific grease meant for suspension components, it resists water from making it runoff and can be found at any NAPA, Autozone, etc.

If our Golf's don't have rubber bushings on the shocks....I have no advice and please ignore this post

Max

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Try the rear tonneau cover. I bet it's creaking on the shelf that it rests on. Putting some felt strips on the resting ledge fixes that. Remove the tonneau cover from the car, and go for a drive to verify.

HTH,
Harry.

cage

Top Post Dawg
There are rubber bump stops at the tops of the shocks that hold the plastic stone guard to the shock. Reach above the rear tires and make sure that everything is in place and not rubbing the shock. It is also possible that the upper rubber mount wasn't tightened properly and is creaking. That would require removal of the shock to check. Just a few thoughts.