Wireless Backup Camera

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
for being "wireless" that setup sure has a lot of wires snaked around in bad places... over the muffler? across the dash?

I think the system looks fine, but if you are running all of those wires why not run one more for the video feed - especially if you are paying a premium for the wireless vs wired kit.

I bet you could put your head to it and find much better ways to mount the monitor and mount the wiring.

Sankar

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI / DSG
Not worth it - extremely cheap build. I bought one a year ago or so ago (saw it at a Walmart and was tempted) and installed it on my 2009 JSW. It took some effort to pull out all the trim and route the power wires properly (you still need to get the 12V that goes on with the reverse light) and I was quite proud of my handiwork - you cannot tell that there is a wire in there!
It worked for a while but even at its best it would pick up a fair amount of interference and I'd get streaking white lines across the screen. After about 3 months or so, the monitor quit working on it's own! I still have the camera mounted and it is probably still sending some signal when I put the car into reverse (unless it quit working as well)... but I will never know for the screen is blank!

As PlaneJob suggests, I wish I'd also sent a wire for the video feed when I did the original install. The marginal effort wouldn't have been all that much and I would have had the option of fitting a proper wired system now. As it stands, I will need to rip the trim again and I am reluctant to do that. So I've finally decided to junk the camera and use the 12V line to power a strong led based backup light that I can mount onto my license frame. Probably one of these summer weekends ...

Don't waste your time with this - it's junk.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I already have a wireless backup system: my eyes. Drivers become complacent when they have a backup camera.

I work for an electric company. They decided to install backup cameras on the big bucket trucks because they got sick of paying for repairs due to the trucks backing into peoples' cars, property, etc. The drivers stopped backing into objects but started ripping mirrors because they were paying attention to the video, but not checking the mirrors.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I already have a wireless backup system: my eyes. Drivers become complacent when they have a backup camera.

I work for an electric company. They decided to install backup cameras on the big bucket trucks because they got sick of paying for repairs due to the trucks backing into peoples' cars, property, etc. The drivers stopped backing into objects but started ripping mirrors because they were paying attention to the video, but not checking the mirrors.
I have back-up systems on my two other cars, and haven't ripped off any mirrors.

I want something for this car because I can't see directly behind the car when getting close to an object...like a car, wall, etc.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
As far as the rear view, the 2006 Jetta is very difficult to back up. I can only compare it to backing up a tractor-trailer. I really want to get a camera for it before I hand the car off to my teenage daughter.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
People should learn how use all three mirrors to back up.You can see more the mirrors than with the camera.What would happen if the camera went down:eek:

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
People should learn how use all three mirrors to back up.You can see more the mirrors than with the camera.What would happen if the camera went down:eek:
There are still blind spots with all 3 mirrors. Judging distance to an object directly behind the JSW (like a pole) is also very difficult when backing up.

The car should at least have some sound sensors.

Speed Devil

TDI
None yet, trying to get one in the family though
Hey, after having a H3, I would kill for a camera, 3 mirrors didn't mean **** w/poor visibility

Yeah, just getta camera and then look at your mirrors too, win/win

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
LOL pretty soon drivers will heads up displays showing video of how close to the lanes they are because they can't judge the size of their car.

Seriously comparing backing up a tiny Jetta to a TT:rolleyes:

Last edited: