can i put an 04 monsoon head unit into my 01 jetta?

2001jetta_man

TDI
1.9 l4
whats up guys i just bought my friends monsoon head unit out of his 04 jetta, can i put it in my 01? are the connectors the same? if not, is there a kit to change them or an adapter???? please let me know

2001jetta_man

TDI
1.9 l4
hey guys i got the radio in, and i put the security code in, but now all its doing is saying " 2 safe " and " phone " any suggestions? or is the radio crap

2001jetta_man

TDI
1.9 l4
ok i got the radio to work, it was the wrong code they were giving me. but, now whenever i shut the car off and pull the key out of the ignition, the radio loses power and enters safe mode. i looked at it and im not sure if i wired the power wires right. i mean, their color coded so i wouldnt think its a problum is there a specific way to wire them? do both power wires need to be on one connection? help me out please, im not the smartest person when it comes to electrical troubleshooting

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Your car has the small 8 - pin connector and the radio you are trying to put in has the big quadlock connector, right?!?! If so, you've got a lot of work ahead of you and it is simply not worth the effort.

The '04 looks for illumination, "s-contact" (key-out), speed-sensitive (gala) all over can-bus, and your car won't have that signal coming in.

I'm 99% sure that the radios started to get CAN in 2002, not 2001.

For your particular issue, it SOUNDS like you have the yellow/red wire hooked up to the new radio, and you should NOT. You should have both Red/White wires hooked up to the two power inputs, and just tape off the end of the yellow/red wire REALLY WELL because it gets 12V while the ignition is on.

That won't solve the other issues though...

Cheers,
-Chris

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
In addition to that: The double din monsoon system has 16 wires running from the amp, then 16 wires running to the speakers. All of the speaker wiring is is different for single din cars.

-J

nubz69

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 Jetta TDI
Go spend $110 on a Sony CDX-GT550ui. Install it, turn on the rear bass enhance and time alignment. Enjoy music at a level 300X what you are used to from your stock setup.