Maintenance Cost

DmaxDouglass

TDI
None Yet
I am looking at a used TDI with around 60-80 thousand miles and was wondering what kind of maintenance cost goes along with owning a TDI compared to a little 4banger gas.???

Thanks,
Robert:)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
they'd be similar unless the diesel has impending serious repairs. Diesels are real $$$ when they're broke bad :( Avoid any car fitted with the auto transmission.

Welcome aboard, Doug!

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Providing the year and transmission will allow experts to give you an accurate statistical answer. You are best to read around here for an evening or two and make your own decision. How many miles do you drive per year? Do you like to get greasy?

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
The VW will be more.

$10/qt oil changes, not to mention all of the little things that just might go wrong....

ie....$100 battery, alternator pulley (2003 MY), serp belt tensioner, $30/ea glow plugs, wheel bearings, bushings, etc.

So you will be putting a decent bit of your fuel $$ savings back into the car, but at the end of the day you still have a car that is much, much more rewarding to drive than a run of the mill gas car.

No free lunch!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Are we comparing a VW diesel to a VW 2.sL0, for example? Or, are we comparing a VW diesel to a Toyota Corolla LE?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
mannytranny said:
The VW will be more.

$10/qt oil changes, not to mention all of the little things that just might go wrong....

ie....$100 battery, alternator pulley (2003 MY), serp belt tensioner, $30/ea glow plugs, wheel bearings, bushings, etc.

So you will be putting a decent bit of your fuel $$ savings back into the car, but at the end of the day you still have a car that is much, much more rewarding to drive than a run of the mill gas car.

No free lunch!
$10/quart? What oil have you been using?:eek:

Oil for older TDIs range from $5/quart to at most $9.xx for high end Amsoil (retail price, $7.xx discounted price) and Redline, with most oils being $7/quart (Mobil, Castrol, TOTAL). Same for PDs and CRs, about $7/quart for 505.01 or 507.00 oil.

If $30 or $40 every 10K miles or 1 year for oil is a problem, a modern European car is not for that person.

Last edited:

DmaxDouglass

TDI
None Yet
I have not purchased a tdi yet. I have been shopping around trying to find one. I will be driveing atleast 120miles a day that is one of the main reasons for buying one and the fact that I have always loved them. I know about diesels being pricey if they break I have a 2000 Cummins. I want a gulf or jetta with a manual.

Thanks for everyones help,
Robert:D

FL2AK-tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS Sedan
While I totally agree with manny, I have to say that if you're comparing a 2L gas powered jetta to a tdi-powered jetta, you maintenance costs will be about the same. Yep, diesel engines run forever, it's true. But that 2L gas eninge is no clunker either.

At the end of the day, everything else on the 2 cars is mostly the same. So while you likely won't be dealing with major engine issues on either, you'll still have to deal with broken glove box doors, center console rests, broken door light switches, window clips, broken seat frames, borken brake light switches...that list goes on forever.

The bigger issues on these is getting the TB done according to the schedule, making sure it gets done right, and the fact that yes you have to all of these special fluids, like oil at $9 qt for Amsoil or VW only radiator fluid, etc. Parts are costly for these things and you can't just go willy nilly at pep Boys and thing it's going to work out ok in the end.

I think the questions you should be asking are more about yourself than about the car. Do you mind working on it every other month or so? Are you the type that never works on his car. (If so, then just walk away now.) What kind of driving are you doing (if you're all city driving like me then the diesel may not be the best route) is it all short trips or highway trips (the tdi is a lot better when driven in highway only conditions.)

I've had mine for 5 years, and while I haven't completely crunched the numbers, I think the cost per mile of ownership on my tdi is not that much better than the cost per mile was on my Chevy Blazer. (mostly due to the higher purchase price) (The jetta is probably a LOT safer than the blazer.)

If you're buying a TDI just to save money...probably not the best choice.

Now, if you like the VW brand, in general, you might take into consideration the difference in purchse cost of a 2L gas and a tdi, the difference in fuel prices (which is always subject to change of coure) and the difference in mpg's of each car and try to work out which is most economic for your specific situation.

Hmmm, I hope I didn't offend anyone. =)

abranz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB & Jetta
Well said. I've had diesels in my fleet for about 14 yrs. I've found they are wonderful for certain tasks such as the cummins for pulling. My Jetta was very expensive primarily due to a dealer sticking it to me over keys and immobilizer issues ($1100 for the repair). My commute is not as long as yours so overcoming repair bills like the above take years if I ever come out even as if I had a Honda for instance. My take is if you keep the vehicle for many years and drive great distances a vw diesel may be a good choice. You will likely pay dearly if you get a used one without proper maintence done (and I mean specific maintenace like proper oils/filters/etc which many people and even dealers do not do). I love to wrench, believe the vw diesel is a incredible engine, and repair issues quickly as they appear so I've enjoyed the few I've had. If you will depend upon dealers for repair, forget it as it will be a expensive venture. Hope this helps.
Tony

RichmondKYtdi

If you are in KY, you have a couple of good options on great mechanics (knowledgable and very reasonable). I drive about 1000 miles per week and there could not have been a better purchase. Check out my signature.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
I am happy that you are seeking advice of TDI veterans before rushing to buy a TDI. I may add that you should spend $20 to buy Haynes Repair Manual to understand the car and repair procedures. As mentioned by others, diesels are good for those who have mechnical inclination and would like themselves to become auto technican or mechanic. I never imagined working on cars, except the mistake I made to buy a VW diesel early in 1978. Since then, buying these cars have made me a better mechanic by experience. If you do not want to dirty your hands and do not want to spend a lot for maintenance or repairs and wants to burn the tires, diesels are not for you.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Tdi

DmaxDouglass said:
I am looking at a used TDI with around 60-80 thousand miles and was wondering what kind of maintenance cost goes along with owning a TDI compared to a little 4banger gas.???

Thanks,
Robert:)
What year, model, transmission are you looking at. TB change depends on year and sometimes transmission. Some years auto are to be avoided. Be more specific! What mainteance has been done on it?

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Excluding things common to all cars (like filters), and differences between manufacturers (vw electrics vs Toyota) experience has shown me that TDI engine components seem to last longer, with regular maintenance, that gas engines, but failures are more costly. Regular maintenance on a TDI is more critical compared to a typical Jap car, and major services (belt) are more specialized, not necessarily more difficult, and probably more expensive. Aside from me letting my fuel gell once, my car has never stranded me, and besides wear items, the only things replaced have been a serp belt tensioner, dog bone mount, and a DMF that maybe didn't like some of the other changes made to the car. I've also had to replace the cupholder, and repair the exhaust braket at the cat, and the wiper transmission. With over 200k miles I know more things will need to be replaced, but I don't foresee any major failures that have me considering another car. Of course I don't mind driving a 10 year old car with crank windows and an aftermarket stereo, if you desire a more refined drive time, you might think differently.

DmaxDouglass

TDI
None Yet
I am really wanting to find an 03manual and I have odne a earch and found that there is a guy on here that works on them Paramedick[FONT=&quot]
which would be right do the road from where I am moving. I am just trying to make the right decision on which car to buy. My wife likes the Honda 4bangers and think that they are cheaper on total operations cost and I am liking the tdi due to atleast 120miles a day driven.[/FONT]

RichmondKYtdi

If it will be you doing the 120 mile a day driving and not your wife, again i would go with the tdi. The total operation cost if you are driving a lot of miles would be better (less oil changes, higher mpg, etc...) than the honda. I had a civic before and the interior is also better in the tdi (seats are very important to me) and has better handling than the hondas. Like i said to be near paramedick for big stuff and you handling the filter changes, the costs on the tdi should be condiserably less even if fuel goes up again.

DmaxDouglass

TDI
None Yet
She does not care what I get she has just she she likes the little honda's better but I am going for a tdi. What part of lexington do you live RichmondKYtdi??

TDI
2004 golf
The TDI is higher in maintenance than something like a corolla, hands down IMO. So, best to test drive one and make sure you love it! Just a turbo blowing adds a huge extra cost that a 4cyl gasser wont have. My vw over 200,000 miles has been very expensive to maintain. And it needs a bit more work...

But I still love it! Having a TDI expert near is key. Driving anything older than the new body style civic (06 and up?) Is painstaking. Years ago I drove one around 100 miles a day while working at a dealer, pretty boring. Chintzy feel. Now I do 200-300 miles in my golf and its much better. Alas, the new civics have come a long way!