Help me decide on tuning options (egr, etc.)

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
1019s can be run with anything from stock tune on up so there is no reason they wouldn't work. Pete will adjust the flow setting and your tuner will fine tune your tune based on your nozzles. Whoever told you they wouldn't work well is giving you some wrong info.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
OK. Not sure it was so much as hat they wouldn't work so much as it was that they were more than were required for an 1.5 Malone tune. I'm waffling over whether to aim my cutoff at 1.5 or 2: I believe that I have the opportunity to obtain the stage 2 for just change if I also purchase the flasher and the 1.5 tune. Once I do these mods that's it, I run with it.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
OK. Not sure it was so much as hat they wouldn't work so much as it was that they were more than were required for an 1.5 Malone tune. I'm waffling over whether to aim my cutoff at 1.5 or 2: I believe that I have the opportunity to obtain the stage 2 for just change if I also purchase the flasher and the 1.5 tune. Once I do these mods that's it, I run with it.
How is your clutch? With nozzles and a tune you will likely need a new clutch, but might be able to avoid it if you keep your foot out of it. If it were me, I'd go with 1019s and stage 2. That is my plan also when my nozzles and/or clutch wear.

I just went with a tune first because my nozzles and clutch are doing fine at this point. Kerma will update my tune for free when it comes time for nozzles. Something to consider if you don't necessarily need nozzles now but want a performance bump.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
I have about 300 or 400 miles on my DLC1019s (no tune yet). Increased power, definitely. I need to do some fine tuning to my IQ setting still. It's up near 5 right now. Before I went to adjust my IQ, it was around 3.6 I believe. There is a noticeable difference in smoke now(less smokey). For the power, the best investment so far. Nothing will get close since diesels are limited by fueling. This makes a pretty big difference. I would suggest an upgraded intercooler after injectors though. Everything to keep EGT's down is a worthwhile mod. Just my .02.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have about 300 or 400 miles on my DLC1019s (no tune yet). Increased power, definitely. I need to do some fine tuning to my IQ setting still. It's up near 5 right now. Before I went to adjust my IQ, it was around 3.6 I believe. There is a noticeable difference in smoke now(less smokey). For the power, the best investment so far. Nothing will get close since diesels are limited by fueling. This makes a pretty big difference. I would suggest an upgraded intercooler after injectors though. Everything to keep EGT's down is a worthwhile mod. Just my .02.
I'd be interested in hearing how fuel mileage works out for you.

Unlike with a tune, with new nozzles you just can't readily swap back to stock nozzles.

No real down time for tunes if you have a flasher. Nozzles (with calibration etc) require a bit more scheduling. I've got two cars to do in which case I have to put even more thought upfront.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm very happy with the mileage bump I just experienced on my last trip. One of my best, if not the best tank, I've gotten under these driving conditions.

There are definitely several new factors at play, not just the Kerma tune, but the tune is the main one. I recently put in a new MAF (mine was fine, but maybe not optimal). On the way up from sea level to ~8k and back down to Elk Grove Propel station (592 miles), I got 50.1 mpg (which is one of my best tanks ever) on B20. This was with AC on, big dog, wife, baby, luggage and altitude. I am very impressed.

In the second leg of the trip in Elk Grove, I was able to fuel up with Propel Fuels new renewable dieselHPR. So far, judging by what my fuel gauge is showing, this tank is on track to beat the last one by a decent margin (at least under the same highway driving conditions). More here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4772200&postcount=71

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Seeing a consistent 7-10% bump in my fuel economy now (48mpg+). 700 mile tanks effortlessly, and probably could get 800 on longer trips. Pleased with the Kerma tune. And of course drivability and power is something else. No more bogging down on hills in 5th. Just good constant power.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the update!