About the 2003 Jetta wagon...

dsclark

Veteran Member
I read that the Jetta Wagon ws rated at 50mpg, whereas the other TDI Vdeubs are rated at 49mpg (with sticks). Is it possible that there is something different about it that makes this possible? Yeah, I am sure some one will chime i and say it is the same motor, but what about the way the thing is tuned?
VW announced at a press confefence in fall of '01 that the US could see more powerful TDI motors (100hp) come to the states as soon as two years.It also said that with the extra power will come a slight gain in mpg. That's what got me thinking. THe other thing is- has any wagon owner reported having any clutch slippage problems after "chipping" his car? To my knowlege, I haven't heard any problems with these cars. While it is true that these are newer cars, I'd bet that there has to be a some wagon owners on this board who have "chipped". My thinking- is it possible that the "100hp" motor is already here, slipped in? At the press conference, one of the features of the new 100 hp would be a VNT turbo (hey, that's already here!) and other minor things which I forgot.Is it possible that the clutch number for the wagon is different from the other VW tdi's? Would it be stronger to compensate for the extra weight and cargo capacity of the wagon? Does anybody have access to VW part numbers?

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by dsclark:
I read that the Jetta Wagon ws rated at 50mpg, whereas the other TDI Vdeubs are rated at 49mpg (with sticks). Is it possible that there is something different about it that makes this possible?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

2003 5 speed TDI's are now rated 50mpg highway

VW announced at a press confefence in fall of '01 that the US could see more powerful TDI motors (100hp) come to the states as soon as two years. It also said that with the extra power will come a slight gain in mpg.

Stock "90hp" TDI's are dynoing 88-90hp at the wheels now. Factor in the 12% drivetrain loss and you get 100hp.

Does anybody have access to VW part numbers?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do. But only up to MY2001 right now.

[ August 17, 2002, 07:54: Message edited by: ProjektZwoTDI ]

NB TDI

Veteran Member
Yes they said that the 100hp is to come out in 2004.. I hope it really does, and not that it's just another rumor, but i think that it is true because the current 90hp TDI will not be able to be sold on Jan 1 2004, because of the emission standereds.i don't realy not my the jetta wagon getting better fuel ecnomey of the highway? i don't think at all that it's a different engine like you said,, but maybe haveing coming to do with the weight of the car. and the air flow

KEHI

TDI
JETTA 2000 SILVER
Connecticut sales tax is exempt for all passenger cars with EPA mileage ratings
of at least 50mpg until july 1,2002
(2000Conn.Pub. Acts 170, 16)
Where were the 50mpg TDI's in 2000 when I bought Mine?
Ken

Clay

Veteran Member
TDI
03 wagon
Ken, The 03 Jetta Wagons are in fact made in Germany, but they still have the 90hp engine. At least the window sticker on mine said it did. I think the 50-mpg on the sticker has to do with air flow characteristic of the wagon. I am definitely getting better milage so far in my 03 wagon compared to my 97 jetta. I picked it up yesterday, I’ve driven 260 so far and only used a smidge over ¼ of a tank of fuel.

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by NB TDI:
Yes they said that the 100hp is to come out in 2004.. I hope it really does, and not that it's just another rumor

The 1.9TDI is already 100hp. This has been proven by stock dynoes netting 88-90hp at the wheels which is 100hp at the flywheel. VW always under advertises HP numbers.

but i think that it is true because the current 90hp TDI will not be able to be sold on Jan 1 2004, because of the emission standereds.

VW already issued a press release stating they will have no problems meeting the tougher 2004 emissions because they have already done so in lab tests.