Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Remember...today is 4/20...most of the journalists with any integrity are stoned out of their minds right now. After the smoke clears tomorrow we should know more.
And he who's name can't be mentioned here birthday.

Also, my brother-in-law's birthday.

kitarkus

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Details here: Reuters story has been updated

(Adds sources saying VW will offer compensation fund, details on framework deal)
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/20/reut...-to-offer-to-buy-back-us-diesel-vehicles.html

WASHINGTON, April 20 (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG and U.S. officials have reached a framework deal ahead of a Thursday court deadline offering to buy back hundreds of thousands of vehicles emitting up to 40 times legally allowable pollution, two sources briefed on the matter said Wednesday.

The German automaker is expected to tell a federal judge in San Francisco Thursday that it has agreed to offer to buy back up to 500,000 2.0-liter diesel U.S. vehicles that used sophisticated software to evade U.S. emission rules.

Volkswagen has also agreed to a compensation fund for owners, but it is not clear how much owners might receive, a person briefed on the matter said.

Volkswagen may also offer to repair polluting diesel vehicles if U.S. regulators approve the fix as workable at a future date, the sources said.

VW will pay cash compensation to owners who either sell their vehicles back or get them fixed, a source briefed on the matter said. Owners selling back their vehicles will get an additional cash payment on top of receiving the estimated value of the vehicles from before the emissions scandal became public in September 2015.

The compensation fund is expected to represent more than $1 billion on top of the cost of buying back the vehicles, a person briefed on the matter said.

Owners are expected to have around two years to decide whether to sell back vehicles or get them repaired. It is not clear whether VW will be allowed to resell vehicles they buy back, the source said.

Last edited:

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Found this article to have a lot of information about the EU testing process. The extent to which they let manufacturers modify the cars for real world testing is insane.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...developed-emissions-cheating-software-in-1999

"This chart shows the gap between CO2 emissions. These results are the reason why European vehicles are often rated as being more efficient than their US counterparts, even when the exact same vehicle is sold on both sides of the Atlantic. European laws give manufacturers enormous amounts of leeway, allowing them to test vehicles at high-altitude sites with road surfaces so smooth, they alone impart a 3% fuel efficiency advantage. Companies are allowed to yank out sound systems, side mirrors, and all non-essential components; they can tape over panels and grills to improve wind resistance; they use low-resistance tires inflated with alternate gas blends; and they use different engine lubricants to improve efficiency."

Torque17

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
(Adds sources saying VW will offer compensation fund, details on framework deal)
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/20/reut...-to-offer-to-buy-back-us-diesel-vehicles.html

WASHINGTON, April 20 (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG and U.S. officials have reached a framework deal ahead of a Thursday court deadline offering to buy back hundreds of thousands of vehicles emitting up to 40 times legally allowable pollution, two sources briefed on the matter said Wednesday.

The German automaker is expected to tell a federal judge in San Francisco Thursday that it has agreed to offer to buy back up to 500,000 2.0-liter diesel U.S. vehicles that used sophisticated software to evade U.S. emission rules.

Volkswagen has also agreed to a compensation fund for owners, but it is not clear how much owners might receive, a person briefed on the matter said.

Volkswagen may also offer to repair polluting diesel vehicles if U.S. regulators approve the fix as workable at a future date, the sources said.

VW will pay cash compensation to owners who either sell their vehicles back or get them fixed, a source briefed on the matter said. Owners selling back their vehicles will get an additional cash payment on top of receiving the estimated value of the vehicles from before the emissions scandal became public in September 2015.

The compensation fund is expected to represent more than $1 billion on top of the cost of buying back the vehicles, a person briefed on the matter said.

Owners are expected to have around two years to decide whether to sell back vehicles or get them repaired. It is not clear whether VW will be allowed to resell vehicles they buy back, the source said.
So, the buyback plan seems to be what was in the poll by attorneys (pre-scandal+20%)......not interested....and not interested in the fix either :rolleyes:

I guess, I have 2 years to rack up 200k miles on it. If any major repairs were to happen in the meantime, what then?

Last edited:

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
So, the buyback plan seems to be what was in the poll by attorneys (pre-scandal+20%)......not interested....and not interested in the fix either :rolleyes:
The buyback details are not stated. I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch, well not yet at least. You still have about 20 hours to go before the facts come out, if they even release the details of the buyback scenario.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Fresh off the press:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Volkswagen AG and U.S. officials have reached a framework deal ahead of a Thursday court deadline offering to buy back hundreds of thousands of vehicles emitting up to 40 times legally allowable pollution, two sources briefed on the matter said Wednesday.

VW will pay cash compensation to owners who either sell their vehicles back or get them fixed, a source briefed on the matter said. Owners selling back their vehicles will get an additional cash payment on top of receiving the estimated value of the vehicles from before the emissions scandal became public in September 2015."

k^2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen DSG - Sold back to VW. Replaced with Sportwagen 2.5 GAS
If it is pre-scandal+20% then then I might be interested, IF VW will be selling 2016-2017 Golf Station Wagons TDI's with manual transmission. Otherwise I want to keep my JSW.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
If it is pre-scandal+20% then then I might be interested, IF VW will be selling 2016-2017 Golf Station Wagons TDI's with manual transmission. Otherwise I want to keep my JSW.
I would, too. I wouldn't want one of the 2015/2016's that's been sitting on dealers' lots for 6 months, though. Near me, there are a bunch of new TDIs sitting in a mall parking lot.....dealer overflow parking. Brake rotors all rusted. I would want to wait for one with a fresh build date.

aliasbane

TDI
Passat 2013
yeah if its a Fair Market Value of Prescandel prices, VW can shove a stick up there bums...

I paid pretty much retail + Taxes and extended warrenty for my car. if they want a buy back, i will take nothing less. As I was planning on running the car as a go cart after the body rusted out and until the diesel engine block died...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Found this article to have a lot of information about the EU testing process. The extent to which they let manufacturers modify the cars for real world testing is insane.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...developed-emissions-cheating-software-in-1999

"This chart shows the gap between CO2 emissions. These results are the reason why European vehicles are often rated as being more efficient than their US counterparts, even when the exact same vehicle is sold on both sides of the Atlantic. European laws give manufacturers enormous amounts of leeway, allowing them to test vehicles at high-altitude sites with road surfaces so smooth, they alone impart a 3% fuel efficiency advantage. Companies are allowed to yank out sound systems, side mirrors, and all non-essential components; they can tape over panels and grills to improve wind resistance; they use low-resistance tires inflated with alternate gas blends; and they use different engine lubricants to improve efficiency."
... what a slice of BOLOGNA

.... naturally they remove the spare tire :eek:

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT

There are a lot of factors yet to be determined....

If a buyback scenario is what we are looking at, then what will be used to determine value:

1) KBB Private party value?
2) NADA Clean Retail?
3) Edmunds or another source??

Mileage? Condition? Options?

Just looked at the CURRENT KBB "Private party value - Excellent condition" of my 2011 Golf TDI with 99,000 miles and it is right at $9200.00. Seems pretty low.

Lets say Pre-scandal value was $12,000.00. VW would need to offer a bit more than + 20% to get me in the dealer with my keys

Gonehuckin

TDI
2010 jetta wagon
My car has only changed hands on the open market once for $32k. For it to have a market value, it has to have a buyer and seller that agree on the price. Mine is $32k. Add to that the time value of money, let's say indexed to s and p 500 since purchase date and they can buy my car back for $50k+. F'um. $5k plus "fmv" is a joke. I've spent that to keep this thing running since Sept on crap they knew had poor engineering.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
If Ken Feinberg expects 90 plus % of the owners to accept the official offer, it needs to be a very generous offer.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
There are a lot of factors yet to be determined....
If a buyback scenario is what we are looking at, then what will be used to determine value:
1) KBB Private party value?
2) NADA Clean Retail?
3) Edmunds or another source??
Mileage? Condition? Options?
Just looked at the CURRENT KBB "Private party value - Excellent condition" of my 2011 Golf TDI with 99,000 miles and it is right at $9200.00. Seems pretty low.
Lets say Pre-scandal value was $12,000.00. VW would need to offer a bit more than + 20% to get me in the dealer with my keys

My Passat in "Good" condition was in the high 11,xxx to low 12,xxx range for trade in on a 2014 with 65,000 miles. I checked my mileage, thanks Fuelly, for Sept. 2015 and I was at 44,328 Sept. 3 2015. Using that mileage only slightly bumped the value. Private party was in the 14-15 range. Pretty ****ty situation over all. Especially for those who took an extended warranty, paid higher interest etc. I didn't buy a warranty and my interest rate was under 1%, so I haven't paid too much "extra".

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
VW needs to take original owners into consideration as well. We paid a premium for our TDIs compared to comparable gas models with the (false) belief that they were less polluting and more environmentally friendly. Even though we no longer own the vehicles we should be compensated at least to the level of that premium. I'm sure there are several lawyers who would agree. Are you listening VW?

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
VW needs to take original owners into consideration as well. We paid a premium for our TDIs compared to comparable gas models with the (false) belief that they were less polluting and more environmentally friendly. Even though we no longer own the vehicles we should be compensated at least to the level of that premium. I'm sure there are several lawyers who would agree. Are you listening VW?

Yeah, no. You gave up any rights you had when the sold the vehicle off. Sounds like a cash grab to me. :rolleyes:

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
I read this to mean that they will use pre-scandal value plus a certain amount.

"Owners selling back their vehicles will get an additional cash payment on top of receiving the estimated value of the vehicles from before the emissions scandal became public in September 2015."

Status
Not open for further replies.