2003 jetta wagon value

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 mk3 jetta 2003 mk4 wagon
Feeling out the market may well my 03 jetta 5 speed wagon. Interior is mint its a GL with power windows and locks no roof or heated seats it does has a blapunkt nav radio. Interior is mint 7/10 exterior is 8/10 has one small dent on rear hatch. Engine was just rebuilt 100 % done right and I have all the paperwork, has vnt17 dlc764 nozzles and rc4 tune with southbend clutch All was done 1000 miles ago. Has brand new continental purecontact eco tires. No leaks no squeaks the car is 100% literally needs nothing. Would 6-8K Be a reasonable expectation from a car like this?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
How much rust on it? Do you know how many miles are on it? A rebuilt engine is a very weak selling point...indicating other issues/lack of maint.

Veteran Member
TDI
No rust on it 150K I rebult the engine Because a Bad injector Took out a piston. The car was actually very well maintained and owned by a older couple that I knew. It was just crap luck I went way overboard and spent a ton of money to make sure it was all done right.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
I think you can hope to get $5K for that car. Unfortunately, "fresh rebuilt engine" doesn't usually do much for cars value unless the car is a classic or someone is familiar with and a fan of the rebuilder.

That being said, there is no telling what the local market will bare.

You can reference Edmunds.com for values. Their numbers are based on actual sales prices rather than asking prices. Then search ebay sales, completed listings and see what similar cars sold for.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
A rust free, relatively low mileage Unicorn should still bring top dollar, just be patient . GLWS

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you can hope to get $5K for that car. Unfortunately, "fresh rebuilt engine" doesn't usually do much for cars value unless the car is a classic or someone is familiar with and a fan of the rebuilder.

That being said, there is no telling what the local market will bare.

You can reference Edmunds.com for values. Their numbers are based on actual sales prices rather than asking prices. Then search ebay sales, completed listings and see what similar cars sold for.
Well that may be true in some cases regardless the timpibg belt water pump cam clutch turbo are all new. Everyone here always says make sure All the maintnace is caught up on..well coolant is flushed powersteering transmission. Wheel bearings are also new fag as are the ball joints TRW. Honestly its a great car for someone looking. Sure you could buy a wagon for 4-5k but it would not be in this mechanical shape. If I didn't tell you the engine was rebuilt you would never know anyways.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Who did the rebuilding? That would be my only concern.

I'm half tempted to offer you a fair price for it.

tdmsurfguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS Wagon
Wait till gas and diesel prices rise back to almost $4 a gallon then it will sell in a heart beat.

Veteran Member
TDI
I know you guys are thinking "bubba" slapped this together drinking a bud lite but not the case. All machine work was done at motor tech in new Bedford ma they are excellent with diesels they service most of the large fishing fleet around here. Crank was polished blocke bored out neural pistons oversize, piston protrusion checked etc. They did a complete valve job new guides . Has frank 06 stage 2 can with nitrided lifters. Everything was replaced, oil pump windage tray has 2 piece oil pan almost all the hardware everything. Only reason on considering selling is I bought a 08 jeep grand Cherokee crd, was going to give it to the girlfriend but she is unwilling to learn manual so rather than have it sit here I'll sell it. It also has a frosthester and I'd parts grill cover.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
I wasn't saying that the rebuilt was a negative, just that some people believe that it is a positive similar to having a vehicle with 100K fewer miles on it...

As others have said, with patience you can likely get a fair price for it from someone looking for that "rust free Unicorn" (great phrase BTW). Also biased because here everything is rust free. In the northern regions I am sure the lack of rust is much more notable and valuable.

What is TRW and fag???

Also, GLWS.

Well that may be true in some cases regardless the timpibg belt water pump cam clutch turbo are all new. Everyone here always says make sure All the maintnace is caught up on..well coolant is flushed powersteering transmission. Wheel bearings are also new fag as are the ball joints TRW. Honestly its a great car for someone looking. Sure you could buy a wagon for 4-5k but it would not be in this mechanical shape. If I didn't tell you the engine was rebuilt you would never know anyways.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I think your value of $6-8k seems spot on based on your description. If its clean and has no deferred maintenance I would start with an asking price towards the high end of that range and see what happens.

Veteran Member
TDI
I wasn't saying that the rebuilt was a negative, just that some people believe that it is a positive similar to having a vehicle with 100K fewer miles on it...

As others have said, with patience you can likely get a fair price for it from someone looking for that "rust free Unicorn" (great phrase BTW). Also biased because here everything is rust free. In the northern regions I am sure the lack of rust is much more notable and valuable.

What is TRW and fag???

Also, GLWS.
That's true around here rust is a huge issue. TRW ball joints they make a lot of OEM components and FAG bearings are German bearings, point being is I only used quality European not auto zone junk parts. Thanks i wasn't trying to come off abrasive if that's how it sounded!

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
It'll depend a lot on how quickly you need to sell the car. I own a 2003 5 spd wagon and I can tell you right now there's no way I'd pay $6-8K for one right now.

Realistically, the buyer-market for these cars is dwindling. For the average car buyer, this is a 12 year old used car. Even worse, it's a 12 year old used German car with a reputation (justified or not) for being unreliable. Yes, it gets great fuel mileage, but right now with $1.85 RUG (and $2.50 for diesel), that's not a big selling point. As mentioned, if you can afford to wait until fuel prices recover, you'll get more for the car. However, that may be a year or more the way things look at the moment.

I know of a number of car enthusiasts who love the idea of a small, diesel wagon, but won't touch a VAG product with a 10 feet pole. So the market is limited to those of us who know these cars. It's tough. I myself am finally resigning to the fact my car isn't worth that much anymore (329K miles and more than a few dings - might be worth $3K) so it's time to drop the full insurance coverage. Yours has halfthe miles and sounds like it's in better condition, so I'd agree it's worth more than mine, but finding that buyer may take time.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I myself am finally resigning to the fact my car isn't worth that much anymore (329K miles and more than a few dings - might be worth $3K) so it's time to drop the full insurance coverage.
I'm in the same boat with my Sedan (313K). Everyone always blurts out numbers like good for 500k but I know sooner or later my car is going to become a money pit. I'd like to find a nicer one now before that happens.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
It seems to me that MKIV prices have kind of gone in the tank since the newer CR cars are now available used for reasonable prices. I completely understand, but as far as long term costs I'd rather have a MKIV at 150k than a MKV or MKVI at 150k.

To the OP, I agree it depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you're patient and its a nice clean specimen then I think you'll get $7500 eventually. If you need it gone quick then $6k is probably the better price point.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Your price of 6-8k is fine, maybe even a touch low.
I wouldn't mention all those details in your ad, used cars are as is. Just turn over all the records and answer any questions honestly.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
It hurt but I finally dropped collision on mine a few weeks ago (2004 with 305k). The car has no value but to the owner at those miles.