Individuals who CURB sell their old stock, rather than trade it in

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

For the Money and the Money and the Money.:D
When we get my wife's RAV4 out of hock this is my currant verbal text ready to go. Plan on using C. L., Ebay, AUTO-TRADER etc.
Will shoot 'bout 60 PICs and show the best 12 (or 24 if free)

Any criticisms, additions, and suggestions are welcomed

RAV4 LIMITED The 2015 TOYOTA FLAGSHIP TRIM. 2WD. CRUSH BLUE ~ Only 16,500 on Odometer. 1 CARFAX owner
43,500 miles remaining on the “Toyota Original 5 year, 60,000 Warranty.” 100 % TRANSFERABLE
Only 1 Driver, Mature Lady Teacher ~ GARAGE kept
Both ORIGINAL keys. No ethanol fuel used and have QT gas pump tickets.
ORIGINAL window sticker, (MONRONEY) details all packages, Manual Books etc.
Purchased March 08, 2015 from Bob Howard Toyota in OKC
Serviced at Tulsa Jim Norton Toyota. All scheduled maintenance, with dealer Papers.
One slow leak, nail in right front tire. Indicated by dash light. Happened about March 2016
Did not run flat. Repaired at Jim Norton Toyoya. No damage to Tire, Rim, or ALLOY Wheel.
Approx 70 % Tire depth on original tires.
Has brand new battery dated July 2017. Replaced free under Toyota warranty.
NEVER in an AUTOMATIC WASH place. Owner hand washed here at home.
NO SMOKER ~ No children ~ No food ~ Meticulous clean car.
No pets except in Cat carrier box.
Delivered with FULL TANK of FUEL. RANGE – Tulsa to sister’s home Houston. However, the car has never been out of Oklahoma.
This is a 90 % intercity work-shopping-short hop car. Usually about 15 miles. My car is NOT for you if you want a *ROAD* car.
No Change body style - The 2018 RAV4 LIMITED is the same design as the 2015 RAV4 LIMITED.
Has ALL the LIMITED electronic packages including voice NAVIGATION BLIND SPOT LANE TENDER, etc., etc.
Shown by appointment. Owner drive for insurance purposes.
Not Priced way – way under Toyota Dealer KBB - NADA retail
As exceptionally clean PRIME low mileage cars command a PREMIUM price.
This one won't last too long
Price negotiable. No holds (no deposits) Meet at bank, then straight to OMVA to transfer title.

============================

OK TDICLUB Members CHOP me up :eek::p:):D

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

Any criticisms, additions, and suggestions are welcomed

Criticisms and suggestions?

Yes.

Do you have any idea how many threads you start here?

Do you have any idea what you are trying to convey when you type? Because your posts are often like trying to read fortune cookies all piled together.

I have no idea what this thread is for, what it means, or what you are actually after. :confused:

You have started EIGHTY SIX different threads here since you joined January of last year.

I have been a member for nearly 16 years and have started 99. And that is probably on the high side I think!

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Yes. ... snip... Do you have any idea what you are trying to convey when you type? Because your posts are often like trying to read fortune cookies all piled together.
Thank you oilhammer for your reply. The gist I was going for in this thread was for individuals who CURB thier rolling stock rather than let the dealer have it at "trade" value. All things considered, there can be a few thousands of money in the individual's pocket (or fuel tank) :D

I do not know for sure, but I am guessing 'bout 25 % - 33 % of car owners CURB their used cars. With the note folks with really dirty doggie used cars WILL just give 'em away in a dealer trade.

When I sold wife's Camry 33 months ago, i'm 100 % sure I made enough to pay for her gas, maintenance, TT&L etc., on her new 2015 RAV4 LIMITED, for as long as she owns it.

I have no idea what this thread is for, what it means, or what you are actually after. You have started EIGHTY SIX different threads here since you joined January of last year.

I have been a member for nearly 16 years and have started 99. And that is probably on the high side I think!

I enjoy reading your post on subjects I have an interest in. (or half way understand.) The thread on EVs happens to be a thread I am not too educated about.

But regarding our future, there will be no EV, $50,000 driver with a 150 mile range. Anyway, thanks for your post.

.... hoping TDICLUB members will help me improve the text of my next "CURB" ad on my wife's RAV4

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
My question is why do you insist on using the term CURB (not to mention why it has to be in all caps)?
Curb Stoning is generally considered to be a bad thing done by unscrupulous people. Therefore "curbing" is generally seen as a derogatory term. Why don't you just use the more common terminology by just calling it a "private sale" instead of a trade-in?

There is no good reason to make it sound worse (or more important) than it actually is.

Have Fun!

Don

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto

Yes.

Do you have any idea how many threads you start here?

Do you have any idea what you are trying to convey when you type? Because your posts are often like trying to read fortune cookies all piled together.

I have no idea what this thread is for, what it means, or what you are actually after. :confused:

You have started EIGHTY SIX different threads here since you joined January of last year.

I echo oilhammer's sentiment above...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just sell the car if that's what you want. Your humdrum gasser Toyota is unlikely to spark much interest in a diesel VW forum.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just sell the car if that's what you want. Your humdrum gasser Toyota is unlikely to spark much interest in a diesel VW forum.

.......... the gist of the thread is writing an effective ad for private sellers. the RAV4 is not for sale -- yet
...........but some VW TDi owners will be privately selling rather than trading -- some day
.......... forgot to say thanks for your post.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
OK, my two bits . . . Were I looking to buy a car and came across you ad, I very well might go right past it. To me, it feels like you are trying too hard and including what (to me at least) comes across as lots of irrelevant information that would tend to make me suspicious . . . . Short, factual, and to the point is what I look for, and can get the details upon contact . . .

- Tim

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, my two bits . . . Were I looking to buy a carnand came across you ad, I very well might go right past it. To me, it feels like you are trying too hard and including what (to me at least) comes across as lots of irrelevant information that would tend to make me suspicious . . . . Short, factual, and to the point is what I look for, and can get the details upon contact . . .

- Tim
Appreciate your ideas, thoughts -- point of view

... Thinking along your lines, might could leave out about 50 %. Then follow up with the finer points after 1st contact

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
...might could leave out about 50 %. Then follow up with the finer points after 1st contact
Perhaps more than 50%

My advice would be:

Keep the first 2 lines. The rest could be replaced with:

All original paperwork and maintenance records included.
Kept garaged and immaculately clean by an OCD owner.
Like new condition.

Keep it simple if you want people to actually read it. (KISS)

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. It sounds like this car could probably use a good old fashioned "Italian tune-up". A heavy foot and some highway miles would probably be good for it.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
First thing wrong with the ad - no price. You mention KBB dealer retail but don't tell me what it is. You expect me to do the research you should have done ???
Are you selling it $3000 below KBB dealer retail or what?
Next you are not a dealer - you are a private party. No reason for me to pay more than KBB/Edmunds pvt pty value.

All the details you provide lead me to think you put a whole lot of $Value in your hand wash jobs and storing the car in your garage.

Honestly, I would not respond to an ad with that much OCD stuff in it. Shows me you are not likely to be a REASONABLE seller.

I would much rather buy a Certified Used Car from a dealer or an off lease 3 year old RAV4.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First thing wrong with the ad - no price. You mention KBB dealer retail but don't tell me what it is. You expect me to do the research you should have done ???
John, first thanks for you valuable input. This text is for the correct time "when I private sell it."

Are you selling it $3000 below KBB dealer retail or what?
Glad you ask about the $3,000 below KBB -- Will due the then currant researcher on NADA and KBB to find the greater number. Then after checking Norton, Fowler & one other dealer for *COMPs* to put a price on it.

Next you are not a dealer - you are a private party. No reason for me to pay more than KBB/Edmunds pvt pty value.
You are 100 % correct on your choice of what to pay and where to pay it. I am surely a PSer but-and I am looking for the buyers who would rather deal with the original owner directly.

Did you ever notice the car sellers-dealers that use "locally owned car?" or original owner car? Car dealer crave the ideal situation when-if the original owner is trusted to take reference calls.

All the details you provide lead me to think you put a whole lot of $Value in your hand wash jobs and storing the car in your garage.
I do.

Honestly, I would not respond to an ad with that much OCD stuff in it. Shows me you are not likely to be a REASONABLE seller.
I have learned from the post just above yours on OCD stuff. So will shorten the ad.

Reasonable? I am not reasonable if a buyer want to buy my unit at thousands of dollars less that a local new car dealer. My personal unit is in direct competition with dealers here in Tulsa. Better condition cars sell for more:D

My history of private sales over 'bout 4 decades, I get full bore NADA - KBB retail.

I would much rather buy a Certified Used Car from a dealer or an off lease 3 year old RAV4.
Great with CPOs

NOTE: If my wife's RAV4 was on the block today, it would have approx 47,000 miles left on the Toyoya warranty

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Why is curb capitalized?

For so many reasons I would skip calling about or looking at this vehicle just based on the ad even if I was looking for exactly this vehicle.

Pricing must be lower than dealer, KBB, etc. or why the heck would anyone go to the trouble to buy the car from you instead of a dealer?

The ad will not be successful in today's automotive marketplace.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
My history of private sales over 'bout 4 decades, I get full bore NADA - KBB retail.
Internet changed everything.

*Past performance is not an accurate predictor of future results.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why is curb capitalized?

For so many reasons I would skip calling about or looking at this vehicle just based on the ad even if I was looking for exactly this vehicle.

Pricing must be lower than dealer, KBB, etc. or why the heck would anyone go to the trouble to buy the car from you instead of a dealer?

The ad will not be successful in today's automotive marketplace.
First thank you for your input.

I understand your would rather pay a little more to a dealer for a car.

Regarding the pricing on a PV car vs a dealer car, I guess it is all up to the individual.

One ideal plus that dealers offer is help with getting the car financed. if needed

..... and of course they will be happy to take your "trade" even if you own more than it is worth.

Regarding why someone might buy my car (at my price) is, --- it might be a better conditioned, lower miles car, with 47,000 miles of original warranty

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Finally some idea of what you want for a price:

"My history of private sales over 'bout 4 decades, I get full bore NADA - KBB retail."

With a history like that, why are you asking us? Most of us on TDIClub are cheapskates! We are not your target market.

Just keep doing what you have been doing. Clearly it works for you.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally some idea of what you want for a price:

"My history of private sales over 'bout 4 decades, I get full bore NADA - KBB retail."

With a history like that, why are you asking us? Most of us on TDIClub are cheapskates! We are not your target market.

Just keep doing what you have been doing. Clearly it works for you.

First thanks for your input

I did this post to learn.

I did

Yesterday Don sent a great response. I am yet to reply to his post

.... still gathering my thoughts

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I think you assume people will trust you because of your over stated ad? I think you are wrong there. Looking at that ad, I think you are a shyster trying to intimidate me with your "too good to sell reasonably" message.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you assume people will trust you because of your over stated ad? I think you are wrong there. Looking at that ad, I think you are a shyster trying tointimidate me with your "too good to sell reasonably" message.
First, thank you for the time to post your thoughts.

... used car buyers have 2 choices. Dealers or PSers.

Only my guess. about 25 - 33 % of used cars are from an owner, rather than from a dealer.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just looked at your signature - Seems to me you are functioning as an unlicensed car dealer. Same b.s. type hype about your too good to be true gem of a car. Frequent sales. Unreasonably high asking price. You are trolling for the BIG Tuna, or the BIG sucker.

I will trade you 2 new big Curved screen TVs that just fell off a truck infront of me when I was in Tijuana. These are brand spanking new, latest, greatest ULTRA 4K with OLIED screens, NexFlix ready, 2 years of free DirectTV coupon in each box. You will pick them up in TJ, at my buddies warehouse.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Perhaps more than 50%

My advice would be:

Keep the first 2 lines. The rest could be replaced with:

All original paperwork and maintenance records included.
Like new condition.

Keep it simple if you want people to actually read it. (KISS)

Have Fun!

Don
Don,

Maybe something along these lines?

RAV4 LIMITED The 2015 TOYOTA FLAGSHIP TRIM. 2WD. CRUSH BLUE
Only 16,500 on Odometer. 1 CARFAX owner
43,500 miles remaining on the “Toyota Original 5 year, 60,000 Warranty.” 100 % TRANSFERABLE All original paperwork and maintenance records included.
Like new condition.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Don,

Maybe something along these lines?

RAV4 LIMITED The 2015 TOYOTA FLAGSHIP TRIM. 2WD. CRUSH BLUE
Only 16,500 on Odometer. 1 CARFAX owner
43,500 miles remaining on the “Toyota Original 5 year, 60,000 Warranty.” 100 % TRANSFERABLE All original paperwork and maintenance records included.
Like new condition.

They can do the math themselves. To me putting in the remaining mileage is just hype.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just looked at your signature - Seems to me you are functioning as an unlicensed car dealer. ....snip....
First thank you for the time to post.

Oklahoma law has a limit of 5 (or is it 6) cars (per calendar year) that can be sold as an individual.

I for one do sell my used rolling stock -- to the highest bidder.

In the past I have sold my Father's car, and my Mothers car. and my Sister's car about 10 and 15 and 20 years ago

In all cases the new owner of used cars pay a TT&L fee to the MVD.