Golf TDI noisy compared to Jetta TDI

spook

I had the opportunity to take a ride in a ‘01 Jetta TDI the other day and was very surprised how much quieter the Jetta was compared to my ‘99 Golf TDI. The engine was quieter at idle and while driving, and there seems to be less road noise. I did notice that the Jetta had Michelins and that most of the road noise in my Golf can be attributed to my noisy Goodyears. Has anyone else noticed this, and does the Jetta have better sound absorption panels?

blue909

Veteran Member
Last time this topic came up, someone posted sound levels showing the Golf was a tiny bit lower than the Jetta at cruise. We know the Goodyears are notoriously noisy tho (I have 'em too). The fact that your Golf is three years old and probably not in precisely the same state of tune as a brand new Jetta might have something to do with the difference you heard as well methinks.

blue909

csimo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I regularly drive a 99.5 Jetta GLS TDI. Have daily access to a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI and they are about the same as far as noise goes. Yesterday I drove a 2001 Jetta GLS TDI and it was much quieter.

VW has done something to make the 01's quieter.

On the downside it also seems that the '01 has a softer suspension than previous A4's. I suspect they softened the standard suspension now that they have the "sport" suspension option.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
I have an '00 with Leather and Goodyears. My brother has an '01 with cloth and Michelins. Just drove his today, and his is substantially quieter, especially over tar strips. The tires make a huge difference, and I am sure the extra cloth inside the car absorbs some extra noise as well. Oh, he has the Monsoon in his (ba$tard) so his sounds better with the tunes cranked too!

However, the engine noise is much more hushed in his. I believe they added some more sound insulation at the year switch.

Sun Baked GL

Veteran Member
Factory Goodyears are miserable …

While I would have liked to waited on upgrading the tires and the wheels, the $250 I spent on a new set of tires vastly improved the driving experience.

Sort of nice to be able to drive down the road and hear the wind or engine noise instead of the tires.

Of course I do miss hearing the tires squeal around corners.

blue909

Veteran Member
Yes, the Goodyears suck. For anyone concerned with the dearth of sound insulation in the 99-00 cars compared to the 01 (assuming this is the case)... you can always add sound insulation panels (there are various brands and grades). A friend of mine did this on an old Jeep station wagon... he added tons of the stuff everywhere it would not be visible... mustv'e put in 100 pounds of the stuff if not more. The car was somewhat quieter, but stil not a pleasant ride.

Can anyone confirm any factory changes to sound insulation as of '01 and in which cars? All? Only TDIs? A given model(s)? Where? Just curious.

blue909

think diesel

Veteran Member
That testing was done with the VR6 engine if it makes any difference.

Traditionally hatchbacks are a bit noiser due to the fact that there is less material isolating the passenger cabin from the road noise reverberating up through the floorpan behind the rear seats.

I have driven both a Golf TDI and I own a Jetta TDI. I could not tell any difference in terms of noise between them. I think it's a non-issue.

Both these cars are great. You can't go wrong with either one.

tom

Veteran Member
Last week I was filling my 98 Jetta with fuel when a 00 Jetta pulls up behind me. I thought it was a gasser even standing only 5 feet from it. That car ran so quiet (on the outside) I can't imagine how quiet it is on the inside!
I hate to say it, but my 98 seems very noisy by comparison.

Dr. Dotgain

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GL 5-speed
Spook,
Is the louder 1999 Golf an A3 or A4? They made both models that year and called the A4 a 1999.5
Dr. Dotgain

kenTDI

Veteran Member
We picked up our 01 Golf TDI tonight,
</IMG> and I can't believe how quiet it is. I don't know the noice factor on the Jetta, but this one is very quiet. Taking off in first gear is about the only time we even heard the diesel. When parked and idling, it just has that beautiful melodic sound that can only come from a diesel, but it is by no means what I'd call loud or noisey.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spook:
I had the opportunity to take a ride in a ‘01 Jetta TDI the other day and was very surprised how much quieter the Jetta was compared to my ‘99 Golf TDI<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by kenTDI (edited March 01, 2001).]

blue909

Veteran Member
Yes Tom, there is a considerable difference between the A3 and A4 VWs in terms of NVH IMHO. The A4s are quieter overall, tho' the goodyears don't help.

blue909

gocartmozart

I don't know just how lucky I got, but my Golf came with Continentals on her alloys.

I've not heard anyone chime in re: these tires, so I'd like to point out that they're not only exceptionally quiet on the highway, but have pretty decent grip and cornering ability for such a "tall" (65) aspect ratio.

When these tires are kaput, I'll likely switch to a 17in TT knockoff with Yoko or Dunlop Z-rated rubber for summer, and find a quality winter tire to place on the factory 15in alloys.

In-cabin noise is a non-issue right now, though I still turn heads when putting around parking lots...

-Ron

cgs2000

Veteran Member
I don't know just how lucky I got, but my Golf came with Continentals on her alloys.

Thanks, Ron. I thought I had the only set of Continentals in VWland. That same brand came on my 1958 Borgward (!!!!!!)

Craig

Veteran Member
I have driven a 2000 NB loaner and it was noticably noiser than my 2000 Jetta--almost, but not quite like a gasser. The engine, drivetrain and road noise was audible on the highway. On mine only road noise is noticeable. If the 2001 are even quieter, that would be a real feat of engineering. But I cannot imagine they would made the suspension even softer.

blue909

Veteran Member
It's not simply by softening the suspension that makes a car quieter... vibration dampening mounts (rubber washers), balances, sound dampening, etc... as far as I've read thus far, there's no change between the '01 VWs suspension-wise and last year's cars.

I haven't looked at the specs, but within a given year (all else being equal incl. engine and tranny) I think that the New Beetle is a little louder than the Golf/Jetta. I'm not ragging on the NB.. I like 'em... I'm just mentioning my impressions of driving them. I had always assumed that the increased interior noise was a result of the lower/shorter hood/nose and tighter packaging of components.

blue909

kenTDI

Veteran Member
I'll have to check mine. Thanks for reminding me.
</IMG>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TDITim:
I also have Continental's on my 01 Golf GL. Great tires and very low ride noise!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>