02511 seat occupied code?

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
It’s a 2006 Vw Jetta tdi automatic

I keep getting error code
02511- Control module for seat occupied recognition (j706)
012- electrical fail in circuit- mil on
02511- Control module for seat occupied recognition (j706)
008- implausible signal - mil on

I’ve looked and I’m assuming there is no fix other then replacing the seat?
Am I to assume it’s the passenger seat ?
And is it usually the connectors (which I’ve cleaned) or it can be anywhere down the line ?

Last edited:

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
I swapped the seat out with another one from my other car that I know is good and still I can’t reset the light using vagcom? Any suggesions ?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Did the seat that you've swapped had the same module like your old seat? (located under the seat), if not, Vag-Com might not clear the error. Also, sometimes it takes two-three attempts to clear an airbag error with Vag-Com.
Another option (that worked in my case): open the hood, and look at the passenger side hood hinge, there are wires going from the chassis to the hood (warming up the windshield nozzles in the winter). Undo the insulation and more than likely you will find out some/all are broken, creating a short (cheap VW using harnesses that are too short). Repair them and then re-set your airbag error. There was a recall for the seats, due to one of the under-seat airbag wires being too short. You might want to check for that too, while you have the seat removed from the car.

Last edited:

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
I did two things.
The seat I swapped was from another 06 of mine and module looked the same only difference is it was not a heated seat which I don’t think would affect it.
The other was I took the harness out of a completely different seat and swapped them and still had the issue.
I’ll look at the hood. I’ve just spent a lot of time so I’d appreciate any input. Basically it always comes immediately right back.

Jakub

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Vw golf tdi
I checked out the hood hinge and no cracks in the wire. And yea it had the same module. Was there a specific type of procedure to try and erase the code ? Or can the airbag ecu be bad?

Frustrated VW Owner

TDI
Jetta Mk 5
I would like to thank "relumalutan" for his insight. The problem with my Mk 5 Jetta started almost a year ago. This will be a long thread. Some will find value. Others can ignore it. I wish I had this information.

Earlier this year and out of the blue I received an "airbag fault" light on my dashboard. I took it to a local repair shop specializing in European cars. They told me the problem was the passenger seat occupancy sensor module (error code 02511). They said that the fix would be ~$2000 because you can't just buy the module. You had to buy the whole assembly. The other problem was that they don't make the assembly anymore. As such, the repair shop said they would look for a salvage yard seat. After time they said they couldn't find an exact duplicate. I started to do some on-line investigations and found some people had success replacing just the seat module. I found one on eBay for $40 (exact part number). I knew I would either need to buy a vagcom unit to reset the module or take it to the dealer to re-program it. I bought a vagcom unit from Ross-Tech and replaced the seat module unit. It wouldn't reset. After this, I decided to take it to the dealer and paid $145 for a full diagnostic. The dealer said they checked out all passenger seat wiring and it was good and recommended replacing the air bag control module. It would cost $720 for the module and $300 to install. (I found out you can't install second hand air bag control modules even with vagcom). After some thought I trusted the dealer knew what they were talking about and had them order and install the air bag control module (even though that was not the error code and my "gut" said it didn't sound right). The dealer installed the new unit and called and told me that the repair didn't fix the problem. They recommended that I replace the seat occupancy sensor module assembly....which you can't get. I was extremely upset. I told them I wouldn't have replaced the air bag control module if they hadn't said the seat wiring was fine. The dealer said that is how repairs sometimes go and they were willing to waive the installation cost (but not the part). At this point I wasnt sure if the car was "fixable". It been many months and I wasn't sure how much money to throw at this. However, I continued to investigate. Many, many references on-line said you couldn't/shouldn't mix modules and seat mats. Thinking this was still the problem, I visited my local salvage yard and got a replacement control module and replacement mat. Once again, the same error code (02511). Very discouraging. I again looked on-line and through dozens and dozens of user threads and found this one. With nothing to lose I looked at the wiring under the hood. Indeed there were cracked/broken wires as described. The problem was finding what fuse supplied power to the seat module. The Jetta I have was the first year (2005.5) and there was no information in the owners manual. In fact there are many, many differences between what is actually in the car and what is shown in the user manual. Eight extra fuses are in the fuse box that are not shown in the owners manual and three that said should be there were empty positions. I read this was quite common for many Jettas (which is just crazy). The fuse designations changed in 2006 and I couldnt find any additional details for the 2005.5 Mk 5. Nothing I could find on-line gave any additional details regarding what powered the seat occupancy module. (Later years used fuse #4.) I did find a hand drawn wiring diagram for the sensor module from a post addressing a full seat change for an Audi (very similar). With this information I used my volt meter to look at the seat module plug and determined that no power was present (pin #1 (power) and pin #2 (ground)). What I did figure out is that power to the module SHOULD be powered off a 5A fuse. I pulled all the 5A fuses and found fuse #5 powered the windshield nozzle heaters as well as the passenger seat occupancy module. (Odd combination - and I still don't know where you find that information; certainly not the owners manual). It ended showing open (blown). I addressed the broken wires under the hood and replaced the fuse. Using vagcom, I reset the module and it cleared the airbag fault. This cost me $1150 all in for what could have been a $10 repair with the right information. The module and mat were fine all along. (And now I have extras.)

What did I learn: 1) Dealer technicians are not well trained. They just go off what the diagnostic computer tells them. They should have checked to see if the module had power in the first place. This absolutely should have been included with the $145 diagnostic. Imagine how upset I would have been if I paid the $2000 for the assembly replacement (which would not have worked either). 2) You should question diagnostics made by the dealer (and repair shops). Nothing pointed to the air bag control module but they recommended replacing it anyway. I still don't know why. I think they are happy to offer up solutions whether they will work or not. Their defence is diagnosing car problems is a difficult job. My answer is yes, but do the minimum research. I should have trusted my gut. 3) Yes you can mix and match seat sensor modules and mats, even though the directions (warning tape) says you shouldn't. They should be identical part numbers and you will need vagcom to do this. 4) VW documentation is limited and there are an unbelievable number combination for parts and configurations for Jettas, even within the same year. Owner manuals are not as useful as they should me. This makes your own repair work very difficult. It is a crazy way to run a car company. 5) It is getting harder and harder to find parts for the Mk 5 as more and more parts are not made anymore. 6) Vagcom systems aren't too expensive and are likely a must if you are going to own a VW for a long time outside of a warranty. The number of error codes you get on an older VW is crazy. The Ross-Tech system is actually pretty easy to use.

In the end, a very expensive lesson.

Sorry for the long post. Reach out if you have questions. I have a long story about my Jetta stalling when the engine got hot. No error code attached to this problem. (Hint: fuel pump.)

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
This cost me $1150 all in
Wow. For $1150, i think i'd just post a disclaimer on the passenger side dash: "Warning - Riding in this seat may be hazardous to your health. Please consider sitting in the back."

It makes a little sense that circuit would share a fuse with the washer heaters, being in the same general area of the car, but it would make more sense to just piggyback off the fat wire in the seat wiring.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
I would like to thank "relumalutan" for his insight. The problem with my Mk 5 Jetta started almost a year ago. This will be a long thread. Some will find value. Others can ignore it. I wish I had this information.

Glad to hear that my fix also worked for you.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Thank you for the post. I have the same problem so your information may come in handy. Can you post a picture or be more specific about where the damaged wiring was?

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the post. I have the same problem so your information may come in handy. Can you post a picture or be more specific about where the damaged wiring was?
I don't have an actual picture but I have found one online (I know that is not a Jetta, but it's the same concept). Check the top left (passenger side) of this picture, you can see the harness going from the chassis into the hood. You will need to unwrap the electrical insulation and inspect the wires:
Note: I believe that only the cars equipped with the winter package might have the harness (it warms up the windshield nozzles in winter)

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Note: I believe that only the cars equipped with the winter package might have the harness (it warms up the windshield nozzles in winter)
My 2006 is not winter package, and it has the heated nozzles.

It's an easy check regardless, you either have a only a tube for washer fluid or a tube + two sets of wires for the nozzle heaters.